Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 3 Type 65 Fuel Tank

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 3 Type 65 Fuel Tank

Hey guys

I've seen a lot of threads where people suggest getting a different fuel tank than the one provided with the kit. Is this really an issue for the Type 65? In addition does anyone know if the fuel tanks provided come with anti slosh foam ?

Post Thanks / Like
    The tank shipped with a friend's Gen III kit was the standard Mustang tank. Anti slosh foam comes in fuel cells, probably not in other tanks.
    There is a fuel cell designed for FFR, Fuel Safe I believe, it has side fill.
    Is it an issue? Probably not but depends on what you want to do.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    My Gen III Coupe came with what looks like a 90s Mustang tank.

I used it and have no issues after 7000+ miles.
    I've not heard of any issues with it but I've not been searching the forums.

There is no foam- just a metal baffle/wall around the fuel pickup.

Below 1/2 tank if you take corners briskly, the fuel gauge bounces around a lot but I've never had any evidence of fuel starvation.

That said, I have a FuelSafe cell on order (18 gallon, top fill, Enduro cell) because I track my car and need another project. It arrives in early Feb.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17

Post Thanks / Like
    Roadster, Coupe, and Truck all use the same Fox body Mustang vintage tank and mounting straps. No foam or whatever. Strictly a stock style tank. No surprise the gauge bounces around a bit. The sender is in the center of the tank with no baffling or whatever. The pickup (or in-tank pump if used) sits in a baffled area on the RH side. For street use and occasional track or autocross the setup works fine.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    'There is no foam- just a metal baffle/wall around the fuel pickup.'

Post Thanks / Like
    Coming up my driveway on my first drive video I had about 5-6 gallons of gas in my tank. But I stopped at the top of my driveway to let a cyclist pass the car was leaning to the left, driver side, the fuel pump drew air and the engine stalled. I ran the pump and could hear it was picking up air, I rolled back down the driveway on a level surface, ran the fuel pump, could hear it had gas. Engine started right up, no issues, second time I just went straight out the driveway since traffic was clear and I had a very smooth first drive. Very good throttle response, no fuel starvation issues. Lesson I learned was keep the tank full especially in the canyons or on the track. I read somewhere keep it above 1/2 tank to avoid this issue. I will be doing that for the future for sure.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 01-31-2021 at 01:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Coming up my driveway on my first drive video I had about 5-6 gallons of gas in my tank. But I stopped at the top of my driveway to let a cyclist pass the car was leaning to the left, driver side, the fuel pump drew air and the engine stalled. I ran the pump and could hear it was picking up air, I rolled back down the driveway on a level surface, ran the fuel pump, could hear it had gas. Engine started right up, no issues, second time I just went straight out the driveway since traffic was clear and I had a very smooth first drive. Very good throttle response, no fuel starvation issues. Lesson I learned was keep the tank full especially in the canyons or on the track. I read somewhere keep it above 1/2 tank to avoid this issue. I will be doing that for the future for sure.
    Similar experience. I had the engine stall on me once after hard acceleration, and my first thought was "oh ****, what did I break?". So I pulled over, let it sit for a few seconds and hit the starter, and after a few cranks it started right up and ran just fine. I realized when I looked down I had a ¼ tank of gas and remembered similar problems people had reported before. So my new rule is, don't drive it hard unless the tank is over ¼ full.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably put one of these in: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/hydramat/ . And I still may try to do it at some point in the future. Has anyone else tried one? The only thing is that I'm not quite sure how it would work with the existing baffle in the tank. I also have an in-tank pump, so I'm not exactly sure if it would fit.
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 01-31-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    I always re-fuel at the 1/4 mark. Partly for this reason. Easy and simple solution. But maybe more so because I've never heard the end of running out of gas in the past with other cars. Enough of that reason. I've never experienced any problems or dropouts with the stock tank and pretty normal in-tank hangar and pump.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the Holley Hydramat

I bought a 12" square for my tank. Custom built tank but that probably doesn't matter. Not installed, no road experience.

I spoke to Holley tech. The mat absorbs any fuel that passes over the surface. You can fold them to fit into the available space w/o degrading the effectiveness. I know I'll need to fold mine, knew this prior to purchase. You just can't cut them and any cuts in the membrane surface will reduce the effectiveness. They warn about careful installation and protecting the mat. It also acts as a filter.

All that I've read has been positive but not cheap at $100 or more.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Question I have is did mustangs have this problem. The solution is simple keep the tank on the fuller side. But I wonder if mustangs had this issue or maybe because there was fuel in the carburetor bowl it was never an issue...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post
    Question I have is did mustangs have this problem. The solution is simple keep the tank on the fuller side. But I wonder if mustangs had this issue or maybe because there was fuel in the carburetor bowl it was never an issue...?
    Yeah it's a great question. My guess is that the carb bowl would make a big difference— were these tanks only used in pre-EFI era 'stangs? Or maybe the gas gauge on the original went to empty much earlier on?

Maybe a small inline surge tank is the next simplest solution?
    Last edited by Alphamacaroon; 02-01-2021 at 07:28 PM.
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Whole bunch of Fox body Mustangs were EFI and didn't use carbs and had in-tank fuel pumps. Including the 5.0's that sometimes end up as donors for these builds.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm carb'd (helps) but prolly pull more Gs that a street Mustang.

Still, going to a Fuel Safe cell imminently.

Dave