BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Has anyone done a Porsche Boxster engine in an 818?

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone done a Porsche Boxster engine in an 818?

There's a lot of build threads to wade through, a bit overwhelming for me, and the search system isn't really coming up with what I'm looking for. I saw several threads mentioning Subaru, Porsche, and some Audi engines can go into the 818, but is there a list?

I'm currently looking at the following cars as donors:

Cheaper:
    2005-2012 Porsche Boxster 987 M97.2x 2.7L/3.XL (seems optimal for Porsche NA?)

Most Exciting
    2016-now Porsche Boxster 982 MA2.2 - Seems perfect for turbo. 300HP, smallest, lightest weight

I found some MA2.2s wrecked for reasonable prices compared to running WRX donors these days. It seems to be the least desirable engine for Porsche as far as I can tell, but it seems relatively perfect for this application. The engine and especially the trans look quite small.

I'm not an expert on any of this by any means, but I assume the fabrication at best would be engine mounts that position the transmission axle holes at a decent position, a transmission mount that does the same, potentially custom axles, and all kinds of wiring harness joys, although, this may be easier than I think since everything is in relatively the same general position as in the Porsche.

In any case, anyone done this yet? Seems like going electric is easier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the idea for the motor, but remember there is a ton of other Subaru stuff you will to finish the car. Suspension, steering, etc. I think coat wise it would be a wash at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you're probably right. I think I can get a JDM EJ207 and build it out as well to make more power...

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I would love the challenge of getting the Porsche engine / trans to work but it is going to be a lot more work than you imagine. Unless you get the entire car, cobbling together an ECU and wiring harness that works is going to be a huge task. And then there is the frame modifications that will be needed to fit the Porsche engine. The 818 engine bay is lot long enough for the Porsche 6 cylinder. I put in a Subaru 6 cylinder, which is shorter than the Porsche, and still needed to modify the frame for it to fit.

Other engines I know that have been used include:

1. VW VR6
    2. Honda K24
    3. Mazda Rotary
    4. Ford EcoBoost 4 cylinder
    5. Subaru H6 EZ30 & EZ36
    6. All manor of Subaru H4 engines
    7. Electric drivetrains
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 09-26-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but I'm trying for the Porsche 4 Cyl Turbo? Maybe it is somewhat shorter? I don't want to modify the frame at all

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dokujaryu View Post
    this may be easier than I think... I don't want to modify the frame at all
    You should probably get past these 2 ideas first. It won't be "easy", and trying to do it without frame mods will only make it less easy.
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

7. Likes Jetfuel, J R Jones, Hobby Racer, Sgt.Gator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I'm sure none of it is actually easy, but what I meant was the transmission is already setup for linkage to the rear, the wiring harness for a Porsche goes from back to front, the transmission doesn't have to be converted from 4wd front engine to 2wd mid engine, etc.