Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: California SB100 Registration

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress is good, but don't be surprised if "Sacramento" (BAR) finds something else once they have your package...
    I had to go back and add labor $$ to the cost, and go back to the DMV to pay tax on it too! As if this hobby is not expensive enough- you have to pay for your time!
    They also wanted more pictures of the build process than the couple I included.
    The virtual process sounds interesting, and makes sense as the Brake and Light guy spent more time with my car than all the others combined...
    Good luck!
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I also had to re-submit some forms along with more receipts, labor cost, some pictures and a statement of facts form reg 256 describing the build. After that I got an email saying "he's working on it". That was 2 weeks ago.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my BAR inspection this morning at Fullerton city college. When I showed up, he said all my doc’s had already been approved he just needed to verify that I had the PCV’s hooked up. He filled out the paperwork, maybe 30 mins, we BS’d for a while and I drove home. Decided to give the DMV a try since their web site showed a 39 min wait for non-appointments. Well 39 mins was for the first line to get a time slot an hour and a half later. After I got in the building it was quick, about 15 mins. They did not charge me a registration fee; all I have paid is sales tax on out of state purchase. I am confident I will be receiving a bill when Sacramento figures it out. Anyway, I got my plates 

Lic plt.jpg

4. Likes Straversi, Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome! Congrats!
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations- that's a big win.
    *Like the color too- what is it?
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR-3 View Post
    Congratulations- that's a big win.
    *Like the color too- what is it?
    Thanks, it is PPG dark purple/Deep Violet Mic

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks...this information is very helpful. One thing I am still trying to get my arms around is the Smog Inspection requirement. Looks like a closed loop PCV system is in my future for the EFI 306 c.i. engine I ordered, but I am wondering where in the SB100 process this inspection requirement has to be addressed.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The BAR inspector looks under the hood during your inspection and verifies that the PCV system is closed. PCV does not have any impact on obtaining a SB100 number. You could theoretically get a SB100 number but fail the BAR inspection
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tincup View Post
    Thanks...this information is very helpful. One thing I am still trying to get my arms around is the Smog Inspection requirement. Looks like a closed loop PCV system is in my future for the EFI 306 c.i. engine I ordered, but I am wondering where in the SB100 process this inspection requirement has to be addressed.

Thanks
    It is near the end of the process. In the inspection sequence it is last. First, serial number inspection/issuance by CHP; second brake/light inspection by certified brake/light inspection station; last: appointment with BAR. However, during these Covid times the dmv has pre-screened for the BAR inspection and required (maybe still does) photos of the pcv system and other things before the BAR inspection will be scheduled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading here that some of the DMVs are trying to get people to pay tax on their labor I am glad my car is long since finished and I have left Cali. I guess I was lucky in 2014 as I was able to justify to the DMV person that my labor cost was $0 as I was not building the car for resale. Most of us know that when we sell our cars it is rare to get back more that the cost of the parts let alone recovering labor. My donor based build totaled about $35K to build and I sold it for $33K and I was good with that. The new owner loves the car and is using it like I wish I could have. Funny as the car was built and titled in CA, moved to AZ, and then was purchased and moved back to CA.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading these type of registration hell posts really makes me feel lucky! Dunno how it was done (probably can thank Mark the Traveling Builder) but mine got registered as a 1965 Shelby Cobra. When I bought the car and took it from PA to NH.. NH just said, yep 1965 Shelby Cobra and handed me a new NH Title and registration and off to inspection I went... Never was even asked about receipts, engine dates, cats, nothing.. Inspection made sure the lights and brakes worked... That was it.. done and done. I even told them it was a replica and the response was "It's a replica of a 1965 Cobra right?" umm yep. And they said, "ok that's what it is then."

I do wonder what would happen if I ever moved to someplace like California and handed them my current paperwork lol....
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't it wonderful to not live in Cali!
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished my SB100 registration in CA on December 21st, started on June 15, so about 6 months total. Yes, it was a pain, but now it's done. The only receipts I listed on the paperwork were from FFR which also included my engine and transmission. I didn't list any labor, body & paint, or extra parts I purchased. I found that the first rep I got knew the SB100 process, but subsequent reps didn't and had to get help from their supervisors. So, I guess it depends on what rep you get at the DMV as to what they want listed on your paperwork...
    MK IV #9642 , Coyote Gen II, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering, 18" Rims, Miller Body & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Isn't it wonderful to not live in Cali!
    Some of us like it here just fine. If you don't, that's cool too. Not sure why people feel the need to post this sort of BS here.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

16. Thanks DSR-3, dlud thanked for this post
    Likes DSR-3, progmgr1, dlud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm with you JohnK, I love living in CA. The process to register our cars takes longer, but... I love to snow ski and dirt bike, and Baja is less than an hour drive for riding and skiing is 2 1/2 hours away. And with the weather, I can drive my car all year long. Yeah, I pretty much live in paradise!
    MK IV #9642 , Coyote Gen II, TKO 600, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering, 18" Rims, Miller Body & Paint

18. Thanks dlud thanked for this post
    Likes dlud, DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry JOHNK and WALTR I have to disagree. I have lived in Southern California since I was 1 year old I am now 73.
    I have seen the changes since the late 80's and it is not pretty to me. Yes there are pockets as in any state that are great,
    but on the hole the Golden State is a little tarnished.
    I could go on but as I said this is my opinion as a looong time resident and business owner since the 70"s.
    To the question why do I not move ask any business owner how hard it is to relocate once a business is established.
    MKIV 8851 Complete LS3 376/480 4L70e Auto 2015 IRS 15" Wheels Rear Exhaust

Ordered 2/25/16 Delivered 3/26/16 Still building 1/1/22

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lancaster Lad View Post
    Sorry JOHNK and WALTR I have to disagree. I have lived in Southern California since I was 1 year old I am now 73.
    I have seen the changes since the late 80's and it is not pretty to me. Yes there are pockets as in any state that are great,
    but on the hole the Golden State is a little tarnished.
    I could go on but as I said this is my opinion as a looong time resident and business owner since the 70"s.
    To the question why do I not move ask any business owner how hard it is to relocate once a business is established.
    That's super-cool, except it totally misses the point, which is that some people seem to think that asking "do I need a closed loop PCV system in CA" is actually asking "please tell me if you think CA is Kommunist!" If the general sentiment here is no political discussion, then...

dont-start-none-wont-be-none.jpg
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

21. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12