BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Subaru Tranny Oil Quantity

Post Thanks / Like

Subaru Tranny Oil Quantity

I just changed the transmission fluid in my 2002 WRX tranny. FSM says 3.7 quarts. I'll admit I just dumped in all 4 quarts.

The dip stick shows it being overfilled by a full 2 inches above the full hole on the stick. What gives?

I guess that's because the rear of the tranny has been amputated. Anyone know the quantity for an 818 tranny to save me (and others) the trial and error?

Edit: I came up with 1.5 quarts takes it just above the full mark. After all the fluid transfers of draining the tranny and refilling the bottles, I calculated I spilled 1/2 quart on my floor. Seems about right.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 01-22-2022 at 05:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your transmission is now low. Because FFR tilts the rear of the transmission up, the dipstick reads way high. Many of us have lowered the rear of the transmission and or raised the engine to get things back to level. Take a read through this post.

Sgt Gator's Transmission Post
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobby Racer View Post
    Your transmission is now low. Because FFR tilts the rear of the transmission up, the dipstick reads way high. Many of us have lowered the rear of the transmission and or raised the engine to get things back to level. Take a read through this post.

Sgt Gator's Transmission Post
    When I first built my 818 I added the recommended 3.7 quarts to the transmission then marked the dipstick at the new level. I have subsequently lowered the transmission tail to get it level by pouring a new polyurethane mount. My assumption is that I should now add oil to the original dipstick mark. I'd like to know if others who made this modification agree.

4. Likes jbs72697 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got it - fill to 1.5" above full mark on dip stick which is about 3.7 quarts.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    Got it - fill to 1.5" above full mark on dip stick which is about 3.7 quarts.

Thanks!
    The fill mark on mine was 2.5 inches above the OEM full mark when 3.7 quarts were added before the trans was leveled.