Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  20
Likes Likes:  40

Thread: Junbug's Colorado Mk IV Coyote/TKX Build Thread: First Go-Cart!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    edwardb- Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I'll have to look into the KRC PS setup vs Forte's. Regarding the custom tune on Gen 3 Coyote builds is that just a function of the difference between stock settings and a tune more specific to a lighter/smaller car? I'll need to dig into other posts to read more about them so thanks for the tip-off. Regardless I'll stick with the EFI as I don't want to deal with carbs/tuning in the mountains with 3k-4k elevation changes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Junbug View Post
    edwardb- Thanks for the feedback and recommendations. I'll have to look into the KRC PS setup vs Forte's. Regarding the custom tune on Gen 3 Coyote builds is that just a function of the difference between stock settings and a tune more specific to a lighter/smaller car? I'll need to dig into other posts to read more about them so thanks for the tip-off. Regardless I'll stick with the EFI as I don't want to deal with carbs/tuning in the mountains with 3k-4k elevation changes!
    Confused a little by your response. You have "Coyote Power Steering Complete Kit" listed as part of your order from Factory Five. That is the KRC setup. You questioned whether needed w/ Mike Forte's Gen 3 Coyote. My response was to confirm you needed nothing from Forte for power steering since you picked the option from Factory Five. The Coyote crate motor comes without power steering. So Forte would leave it stock and you would install the setup from Factory Five (KRC) along with the power steering rack they provide as part of the option, and you're done.

Your response about the Coyote and tuning is a little confusing too. The Coyote is an EFI engine out of the box. Actually has two systems. Fuel rail injection and direct injection. There's no option to run it without EFI. Well unless you get into crazy mods, replace the intake, etc. I'm sure that's not in your plan. Forte will deliver with the stock EFI setup. I assume you're using the Ford Performance control pack with the Coyote. By far the most common setup. It comes with a PCM calibrated by Ford Performance for a standard Mustang air box. There isn't room in these builds for that. Only a relatively small and simple 90 degree adapter, MAF tube, and air filter. As a result, the MAF calibration is way off and has to be adjusted in a custom tune. Additionally, for whatever reason, Ford's standard calibration also runs excessively rich. The engine will throw error codes (and run very poorly) until both of these are adjusted by a custom tune. Plus whatever else the tuner chooses to optimize. The lighter/smaller car isn't really a factor. At least not for the major issues I've described.

By all means do as much research on these topics as you like. I will only add this is solid information based on actual experience with multiple builds including two with Coyotes. My current Gen 3 Coyote powered Coupe is awesome. After it was tuned and sorted out. (Build thread in my sig line below.) My experience has been repeated by multiple builders.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-24-2022 at 07:50 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for clarifying edwardb! I misread your original message and now completely understand what you were saying. Thank you for clarifying and I really appreciate the details on why the Coyote will need a tune, very helpful. I actually just attended the FFR Roadster build class last weekend, which was very worthwhile.