Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Roadster Top

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Top

Have had several requests about my roadster top, so here are the details. This top was originally being sold by Peter Frische (Gpete). I bought my roadster from Pete about 10% complete and he threw in the top as part of the sale. He is not currently selling the top. He called it a "Le Mans" top. It is fiberglass and was sold with hardware to attach it to the windshield and down the middle. Came with some ball/socket type connectors that suctioned to the body by the roll bars.

I decided to make the connections quicker than thumb screws and wing nuts and to give it a cleaner look. Also didn't like the suction cup so went with a camera type connector attached to the roll bars. Mine is painted body color and has a head liner with extra foam to keep some of the heat out during hot days. The top really isn't made for rain, but it is sure nice on hot days. I have the Breeze roll bars which fortunately are the perfect height for the top. FFR roll bars stick above the top a few inches and are not as clean of a look, IMO.

Here are pics of the top:

I use some cam levers to hold the two sides together.

Some over center type clamp to hold it to the windshield. I have an aluminum hook mounted to the windshield that the clamp hooks. You have to look close to see it.

I thought the clamp would be enough, but at higher speeds the top would lift a little so I added some pins that fit in the small grove in the top of the windshield. They are notched so they catch inside the grove. Not great pictures but you can see the notch. There is one on each corner of each top.

Then I use some Tachform camera clamps to attach the tops to the roll bars.

Overall I really like the look and how they integrate with the roll bars and the windshield.
    Last edited by juddster; 11-07-2023 at 11:23 PM.
    MKIV #8414 - Complete Kit - Gen 2 Coyote - MT82 6 Speed - Wilwoods - Moser 3.55 Rear

2. Thanks JDFinley thanked for this post
    Likes 65 Cobra Dude, MB750, JDFinley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juddster View Post
    Have had several requests about my roadster top, so here are the details. This top was originally being sold by Peter Frische (Gpete). I bought my roadster from Pete about 10% complete and he threw in the top as part of the sale. He is not currently selling the top. He called it a "Le Mans" top. It is fiberglass and was sold with hardware to attach it to the windshield and down the middle. Came with some ball/socket type connectors that suctioned to the body by the roll bars.

I decided to make the connections quicker than thumb screws and wing nuts and to give it a cleaner look. Also didn't like the suction cup so went with a camera type connector attached to the roll bars. Mine is painted body color and has a head liner with extra foam to keep some of the heat out during hot days. The top really isn't made for rain, but it is sure nice on hot days. I have the Breeze roll bars which fortunately are the perfect height for the top. FFR roll bars stick above the top a few inches and are not as clean of a look, IMO.

Here are pics of the top:

I use some cam levers to hold the two sides together.

Some over center type clamp to hold it to the windshield. I have an aluminum hook mounted to the windshield that the clamp hooks. You have to look close to see it.

I thought the clamp would be enough, but at higher speeds the top would lift a little so I added some pins that fit in the small grove in the top of the windshield. They are notched so they catch inside the grove. Not great pictures but you can see the notch. There is one on each corner of each top.

Then I use some Tachform camera clamps to attach the tops to the roll bars.

Overall I really like the look and how they integrate with the roll bars and the windshield.
    I want one! How can I get one?
    Jeff
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    last time i checked the original designer stopped making these. there was another fella on this forum more recently that made a soft bimini top but also stopped making them due to cost.
    you could always try your hand and creating your own from some chip board, expanding foam, and fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    I want one! How can I get one?
    Jeff
    I can confirm the guy (Peter Fritsche) that made these stopped selling them in 2020. Did a fire sale and got rid of all his inventory. FYI, if you are serious about wanting one, there is a guy named Corey Gutowsky on the Factory Five Builder Facebook group that just posted one a few days ago for sale. He was asking $500+shipping. Even if you aren't in that Group on FB, you can PM him via FB Messenger and see if he is still selling it.

Videos from original builder:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Px...=PeterFritsche
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D072...=PeterFritsche
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_N...=PeterFritsche
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

6. Likes Junbug liked this post