FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Electric power steering?

Post Thanks / Like

Electric power steering?

Just curious if anyone has gone this route? Would the racks from more recent mustangs (2011 and on) Bolt into a Mk4 without significant modification?
    Last edited by Rian_Colorado; 05-13-2024 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a Electric Power steering, after market not OEM. You can see the route I took in my build thread. OEM would be nice, I thought about my 2020 Miata EPAS would be cool, but I did not do the work to see if it would fit.
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    I have electric power steering on my Speedstar. I purchased a Rugged brand unit from Demon Power Sports. It is the same motor as the one sold by FFR for less than 1/2 the cost. It works well in the limited driving I have done so far. It also has provisions to accept a speed input to make the assist speed sensitive but so far I haven't seen a need for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2011 up rack will not work.

Jeff

5. Thanks Rian_Colorado thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The 2011 up rack will not work.

Jeff
    If he says it, I'd believe it.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my build thread. I installed an epowersteering.com unit, seemed to fit well. Uses the FFR manual rack. Does require welding. I have not wired it up yet, but the installation was straight forward.
    Rebostar

Post Thanks / Like
    520 Speedworks offers electric PS, and they're a supporting vendor. Greg is also a great guy and easy to work with.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

9. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my review of the Speedworks 520 or Epowersteering kit for the Cobra.

Overall happy with the system. A speed sensitive system would be nicer if you track your car.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ghlight=sjdave

PS - BE AWARE - The pins in the connector from the under-dash boost control have there way of working themselves out of the connector housing. I added some hot melt adhesive to glue them into the connector body.
    Mk 3.1 #6616 Complete Kit, July 2008 Start, Gromm Racing 347, TKO 500, IRS, Carmine Red / Wimbleton White
    Mk 3.1 #6756 Complete Kit, May 2016 kit completion, Smeding Alum. 427 Stack Injection, TKO600, Custom Silver/Blue (SOLD)