Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  14

Thread: Engine unveiling! Hoist tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine unveiling! Hoist tips?

Finally unboxed my BPE 347! Very excited. What are folks thoughts for buying an engine hoist vs. renting one? Is it worth a rental? Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know how to fix sideways pics? Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I struggled with sideways pics. I learned to take pics with my phone sideways, so the pics are in 'landscape' orientation. That was the easiest solution I found.

I'd buy a hoist. They're not terribly expensive, and they break down when not in use. I bought mine when I built my MkIII years ago, and have used it many times since.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker (in the process of building it now), EFI System - Edelbrok Pro Flow 4, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

5. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Likes MaxVmo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy a 2 ton hoist for the extra reach it gives.
    Mk IV, IRS, 302 w/EFI & T5, 15" wheels

7. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have a good network of friends, you might be able to borrow one or even buy used on marketplace or something similar.

But like it was said above. They aren't terribly expensive.

Check Harbor Freight or your local auto parts place (Napa, Autozone, Oriellys)

I'd also agree with a 2 ton hoist for the reach
    Kit delivery (3/17/2024)
    FFR Mark IV Roadster (Ordered 11/9/2023)
    408 LS Stroker Powerplant Ready To Rock (link below of the first start)

https://youtube.com/shorts/dH36tij3HK0?feature=share

9. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) I recommend a 2-ton hoist simply because the boom arms will be longer and will reach a little better into the engine bay
    2) Unless you plan on doing more builds, I'd suggest renting or asking your neighborhood Facebook page if you could borrow one. I did this for many of the "specialty" tools I needed for the build and got lucky - several neighbors had the tools I needed and I made some new friends. New hoist will cost ~$300 for a cheap one (Harbor Freight) plus you probably want to get a leveler (~$50).
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

11. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the feedback. I’m assuming the radiator should not be installed during the engine install?

Post Thanks / Like
    Better pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVmo View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback. I’m assuming the radiator should not be installed during the engine install?
    I removed mine to be safe...I can't remember if it is 100% required. If you come in from the front with the hoist I think you have to. If you come in from the side, maybe it could stay? I'm sure others with more experience can chime in. This pic shows the issue when you come in from the front --> clearly the radiator would hit the hoist.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

15. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know how to fix sideways pics? Lol
    Save the picture to a Windoze computer. Open it in Paint and resave it. That will fix it.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

17. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on 2 Ton Hoist and +1 on Leveler as dbo_Texas recommended. Since you asked for tips, in this picture see the red arrow pointing at the leveler crank handle. Position the leveler with the crank on the downward side toward the transmission—otherwise the crank will hit the hoist boom as you tilt the engine down. This is my 3rd engine install in the last 18 months—I learned the hard way. 1-1/2 hours after this pic Sunday, my 347 was bolted in the Roadster.IMG_5183.jpeg
    BUDFIVE
    Complete kit order 8/28/2023
    347 Ford Dyno 10/12/2023
    Kit Delivery 11/28/2023

19. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right. Install the engine without the radiator in place. Even with the 2-ton hoist (which I also recommend) you'll be near the maximum reach without the radiator blocking the path. Plus it's one less thing to avoid when dropping the engine in.

I bought my 2-ton Harbor Freight lift and don't regret it. I've used it for multiple tasks other than just car builds. But I agree if you can find someone that has one borrowing is a good thing. Mine has been borrowed a couple of times.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

21. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO a levelor is mandatory. Use bearing grease on the threads and washers so it operates easily w/ a load. I use a come-a-long from an eye bolt in the ceiling. I roll the car rather than move the engine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

23. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    Save the picture to a Windoze computer. Open it in Paint and resave it. That will fix it.
    If you are using and uploading from an iPhone just hit edit on the picture and crop it, even the very smallest bit, then when you upload orientation will be straight.
    Coupe Kit Delivered 11/10/23

Roadster Build thread: 2019-2022 https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Build-Thread

25. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    IMHO a levelor is mandatory. Use bearing grease on the threads and washers so it operates easily w/ a load. I use a come-a-long from an eye bolt in the ceiling. I roll the car rather than move the engine.
    A good leveler makes the job easy, a bad leveler makes it unbelievable difficult. I bought a leveler from Northern Tool and my wife and I really struggled with it. When I had to pull the engine back out I bought this one from Summit. Night and day difference! I removed the handle and used a socket on a speedhandle to adjust it. With it I was able to remove and reinstall the engine/trans by myself.

27. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    re: Pic rotation

Pic rotation is usually because the pic is too large. Max is 2000x2000. That's total pixels. I tend to resize all my pics down to 2K width before uploading and I never have rotation issues.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

29. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    These days most picture rotation issues come from the way cell phones work as they automatically rotate the image for you. That's why most of the time you have to reset the orientation.

31. Thanks MaxVmo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the 2 ton from China Freight, then sold it on FB market when I was done. If I had to do it again, I'd just use my 4 post lift and roll the car. Less engine swinging that way too. If I didn't have the lift I'd look at market place first and then sell it back on there.
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.