Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Need a solution to secure the oval air cleaner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Need a solution to secure the oval air cleaner

I converted from the 5.0L GT40 intake & EFI to a Sniper EFI and Oval air cleaner.
    How can I secure the Oval air cleaner from spinnging? I've thought about some kind of pin / screw, but really do not want to drill into the EFI throttle body. My other thought was to fab an aluminum bracket, secured to the carb mounting bolt(s).
    What solutions have others used??

Thanks
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I suggest that you secure it to a shelf in the garage and only install it for shows. It is known to (A) be restrictive and (B) not play nice with the Sniper.

Jeff

3. Likes Joel Hauser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Jeff, I had heard they were restrictive, but I'm running the taller filter, thought this would negate the restrcition.
    What is the issue with the Sniper??

What round filter is recommended? this one? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...3050?rrec=true
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    Thanks Jeff, I had heard they were restrictive, but I'm running the taller filter, thought this would negate the restrcition.
    What is the issue with the Sniper??

What round filter is recommended? this one? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/k...3050?rrec=true
    Mark,
    Some have no issues but the problem that sometimes occurs with the Sniper is that it is very sensitive to electrical RF interference and can be especially finnicky with our Windsors since the unit's computer module is at the front and our distributors are just a couple of inches ahead of it. As you know the oval air cleaner base actually extends over the distributor and being metal is conductive which exacerbates the RF issue. Different methods of isolation have been tried with some success. Blueprint installs an aluminum shield between the Sniper and distributor. Some use the OEM Fox Mustang rubber "boot" that encases the distributor and first few inches of the plug wires. Others have wrapped the oval base with Faraday RF shielding tape. Some have even gone so far as to turn the Sniper around so that the controls are facing the firewall rather than the distributor. Even after trying some of these (the shield, the boot and the Faraday wrap) one of my customers finally gave up on the oval and went to a round air cleaner and all of his drivability issues immediately went away.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again Jeff. I hadn't heard that it was causing Sniper issues. I've pulled it off and will save it for Shows.

Is this the recommended filter then? K&N X-Stream Airflow Assemblies 66-3050

Post Thanks / Like
    Should work well. I’ve had guys use those with a dropped base when they’ve had 351 based engines with tall Air Gap intakes because the ovals hit the hood (and don’t breathe well!).

Jeff