FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: fuel hardline quality control

Post Thanks / Like

fuel hardline quality control

Friends,

Another newbie question - we've been working on installing zinc-steel 3/8" hardline for fuel and trying to get clean bends. I'm using the loaner heavy duty bender from Autozone and I can't seem to get the bends as clean as I want, meaning not kinked, despite multiple attempts including doing it all by hand or with one handle in a vice. You may be able to see on the outside of the bend, the center folds in a bit. I tried changing out the tool for another of the same and I get the same result. Also tried the one with just one handle and that's pretty much useless with thicker line like this. Am I being too picky and it's fine, or is this going to restrict fuel flow?

Thinking ahead to possible plan B if this is just insurmountable user error (), what are the group's thoughts on doing flexible steel-PTFE lines for the entire system, other than increased cost? I guess durability, but if those lines are durable enough for the ends of the lines, they should be good enough for the entire line?

Thanks as always!
    ST

PXL_20240525_174123286.jpgPXL_20240525_174137987.jpgPXL_20240525_174149526.jpgPXL_20240525_174158727~2.jpgScreenshot 2024-05-25 at 2.05.57 PM.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditch the steel tubing and use NiCopp Nickle/Copper. Bends like butter

Jeff

3. Likes Bart Carter, steno, bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to do that but Earl's 3/8" is discontinued. I have Earl's fittings and I"m trying to follow the advice of sticking with the same brand as much as possible, to ensure compatibility.

Assuming that's not a significant concern, any recs on brands? I see lots sold on Amazon, etc., but not clear which brands are the most reliable go-to's.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran flex braided SS PTFE lines for the entire length. Fewer junctions to possibly leak and no bending required.

edit: I used Fragola lines, ordered through Mike Forte w/ fittings already installed after I provided him the lengths I needed.
    FYI, depending on lines used, the OD is smaller for PTFE SS vs regular rubber braided SS lines. This makes a difference when getting hose separator clamps to attach the lines to the frame. I think Earls has the proper clamps for this.
    Last edited by egchewy79; 05-25-2024 at 01:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm personally not a fan of that multi-size style bender. My experience is similar to yours. Plus I've kind of given up to the parts store rental tools. My experience is they're often pretty beat up or worn. Maybe not everyone's experience. But has been mine. I did rigid SS fuel and brake lines on several builds and found these Ridgid benders worked great. Would easily bend steel. They're not cheap. But much more expensive ones out there. The smaller bender is from Inline Tube for small radius bends on brake lines. Can't argue with using NiCopp which I haven't done, or SS flex which I have done.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to post the same thing as Edwardb. Most of the problem is those multi-size benders. It's a bit of an investment, but if you get a dedicated 3/16" bender for brake lines and a 3/8" bender for fuel lines you'll have far superior results with any type of tubing, including stainless steel.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I second what Edward said, you need a good quality bender for steel or stainless steel hard lines. This might help. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...AN-Brake-Lines

Ridgid doesn't make their fine line of benders anymore but you can find them on eBay.

Or as Jeff said, use NiCopp hard line, bends like butter and is more than adequate for fuel lines.

For the relatively low pressure of fuel lines you can use AN - compression fittings like these. They are easy to install and work great.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Super helpful. Thank you all!

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the NiCopp route and would recommend it. Easy to bend without buying expensive tools, relatively inexpensive, easy to straighten, and durable (several European manufacturers use NiCopp for their cars). I used tubing from both Amazon and my local auto parts store - no issue with fitting compatibility or quality.

James
    Mk4 Roadster #9974 - Picked Up 1/2021. Complete kit, Gen 2 Ford Coyote / TKX, IRS. Completed 9/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    The steel tubing in your pictures looks unusual to me. It looks like EMT, electrical metal tubing. I have never seen 3/8 EMT, but there is a lot I have not seen.
    If so, this is not designed for gas lines. It can be bent with an emt tubing bender, but the curves will have a much larger radius.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since mine was a carb engine runnng <7# fuel pressure, I used hose clamps and rubber fuel hose at the ends of the NiCopp. Tank pickup, hose w/ clamps to fuel filter, to hose w/ clamps to NiCopp. I ran a mechanical pump so coming from it to the carb I did run SS braided. It was easy to do w/ adapter pipe thread to AN at the pump and AN to AN at the carb.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    The steel tubing in your pictures looks unusual to me. It looks like EMT, electrical metal tubing. I have never seen 3/8 EMT, but there is a lot I have not seen.
    If so, this is not designed for gas lines. It can be bent with an emt tubing bender, but the curves will have a much larger radius.
    Just to respond to this, it's not EMT. It's Earl's zinc steel hardline. Thanks, ST

Post Thanks / Like
    Pinching on benders quite often is from the tubing creeping/moving in the bender as you bend it. A good bender will make it much easier
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

FFR MKIII builder/owner
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try putting some oil on the tubing. The caving in on the outside of the bend is usually caused by the moveable shoe dragging on the tube instead of sliding easily. Did a lot of custom exhaust work back in another life and we’d have the same problem if the bending machine dies got dry.

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the NiCopp too

Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are letting the tube come away from the bender. Yes, there are easier to use tools and easier to bend lines, but you should be able to get clean bends with that tool.

Putting it in a vice is likely not helping you control it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I ran flex braided SS PTFE lines for the entire length. Fewer junctions to possibly leak and no bending required.
    Same here. I used Tech AFX 'BlackWrap' lines. Super easy to custom fit and install. No hard bends and not a drop of fuel nor the odor of gas.
    Art Shand, Big Canoe GA
    BPE 347 FI, Hydraulic Tremec TKX, Wilwood front & rear, GAS-N Headers/Touring Pipes, many functional upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran stainless steel hard lines for everything and used ptfe stainless braided for final fuel line connections. Pretty much overkill but I love the look. BTW, I had no issues with leaks but you do need to be very careful when you prep the line before flairing.

F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

20. Likes microbionic, Lidodrip, jklapp liked this post