Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Ask Dave Anything Episode 2 is Up!

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

Ask Dave Anything Episode 2 is Up!

Have a question you’ve always wanted to ask Dave Smith like what’s his favorite car or will Factory Five ever make (fill in the blank) into a kit car? What shows & events will Factory Five be going to this year or what is the status of the F9, 818, and GTM?

Starting soon, we’ll be having a weekly Q&A with Dave where he replies to a few customer questions on any topic. Add your questions to this official Ask Dave Anything thread here on The Factory Five Forum or email [email protected], and it may be featured on an upcoming video. Let's have some fun!

Watch Episode 1
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

2. Likes 65 Cobra Dude, RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FFR at the top of their game! Dave Smith leading the way!!!

Thx,

Henry

4. Likes Mad Dog liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The F9 concept was a great design exercise that needs to be explored further.

I'd love to see Factory Five Racing create a new body (Their Own Design) that utilizes the existing Type-65 Chassis with no major modifications as seen in the F-9 concept.

That concept could incorporate Mazda Miata MX5 Doors (Possibly Reskinned) as the only donor part so that this new car had very well functioning doors and windows if desired. In addition, composite doors should be included for those wanting a light weight door option without functioning windows. By going down this path no donor parts would be needed, but could be included if desired. As you'd expect, the window openings of the doors should be spot on with the MX5 so that custom glass is not needed. Since the MX5 comes in two versions, the door glass for the convertible is rounded at the upper rear corner while the retractable hard top version has the upper window coming to a distinct point.

Think about how iconic the early Datsun-Z cars built during their first iterations way back in the 1970's. With that said, could you imagine what Dave & his team could come up with today by simply creating a new body that is a totally unique design for the existing Type-65 Coupe chassis?

On a similar note, a friend of mine has a 1967 Intermeccanica Spyder and that car is really a looker. Is sports a 289 Ford with a 4 speed top loader transmission. Rear suspension is ironically a three link design. I'm not suggesting copying that car, but man the lines are amazing and a fast-back version was never produced. I know Dave and the gang can create something just as sexy or even sexier.

Doesn't the 289-FIA use the MK-4 chassis while the 35-Truck is based on the 33 Hot Rod?
    Doesn't the 3-Link fit the MK-4, FIA-289, Type-65 and 33 Hot Rod?

Standardization Simply Makes Sense & We Know The Factory-5 Team Can Create Something Totally Unique!

Before Nay Sayers Chime In:..The current IRS uses Mustang bits and now Factory-5 uses a complete Ford F-150 to create the XTF.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-25-2024 at 10:45 AM.

6. Likes Mad Dog, JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, standardization is the way to go. Saves FFR money on parts and engineering, inventory loads etc.. I would love to know the "numbers" on how many of each different kit they make or used to make has been sold, and how many of each different design had to be sold before they got to their break even point of design, engineering, and getting the kit produced costs... Outsider looking in here but it looks like the kits that have done the best are kits that are basically remakes of an existing vehicle with their own mods/twists to it. Coupe, Roadster, 33 Hotrod and Truck. Granted they all have their niche market as everyone isn't going to like every kit.
    It's much harder to design a car/truck from scratch that will appeal to the masses.
    Take a look at Dave Kindig who some what recently designed his own car. With his capabilities it could have been of anything he dreamed up yet he went with a remake of a '53 corvette.. Granted he tweeked everything on it but.... FFR has to be very careful what they dream up I'm sure in hopes it gets past their break even point of making the kit to start with..
    In order to get a lot of other vendors to want to be involved making optional parts and pieces there needs to be a lot of kits sold, helps FFR and them as well. The more vendors there are selling cool optional parts the more people want a kit to start with.. It will be interesting to see how the XTF and F9 do with the cost involved of getting one built.. I think that hurt the GTM for a lot of people..

8. Likes Mad Dog, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh, heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Looking at what has worked for FFR so far gives some insight as to where they could/would go in the future.

1. First start with an iconic body style with universal appeal. All the better if original examples of same are priced far beyond the means of the everyman.
    2. Pick something that can utilize existing Ford drive train and engine components thus leveraging off of past experience, design and parts.
    3. Pick something with roughly similar wheelbase/track width dimensions that can also be adapted to fit over the existing frame design philosophy.

Circling back to point #1 one needs to also look at customer demographics. Is the next wave of younger kit builders still going to be interested in Cobras, hotrods and desert trucks? My guess is no....

A difficult premise going forward.

Perhaps depending how the XTF sells, maybe something based around the new Bronco design?

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

10. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My personal belief is that people look back fondly on the cars that were hot during their youth. If FFR wants to appeal to the younger generation, they should look at the hot cars from the 80's. Oh wait... never mind. There were no cool cars in the 80's.

On a more serious note, I agree with Narly1's points 1-3 above. I would add that it helps if there's a lot of availability of various components for those cars still available. I've always believed that a Jaguar E-type replica built around the coupe frame would be a success. Lots of Lucas, Jaguar, etc. trim pieces available on the market still for those cars and good-condition real chassis are becoming increasingly rare and expensive.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

12. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is an idea to consider. RCR tried their hand at a 2005-6 Ford GT, nice execution but too expensive. Thinking back at the iconic Ford and Ford hybrid vehicles built in the 60's and 70's one stands out, the Pantera, an Italian sports car with American power. Like other vintage cars from the era, good cars are very expensive and the rest are rust fodder. Would it be possible to obtain licensing from Lamborghini for the body and then build the rest here in America at Factory Five? The custom Pantera that Dave Kindig built would be a good model as he stretched the car four inches on a Roadster Shop chassis.
    I have ordered my 2nd Factory Five kit, a Gen 3 coupe. A Factory Five Pantera replica with a stretched frame and body would be awesome. However, if considered, the sourcing for a transaxle would need to be controlled by Factory Five and Mendiola, while good on paper, did not turn out to be a viable source of transaxles for the GTM. A modern Porsche transaxle from a 911 GT3 or Turbo would be a better consideration.
    Dave, loved the MK4 and soon I am looking forward to building my coupe. We all thank you for the company you built and the joy it has brought us your customers.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

14. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Though I doubt it would ever happen but I'd love to see the Type-65 Spyder return assuming that the space frame is capable of going topless.

16. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave, will you be offering a lexan windshield replacement for the Roadster?

Thanks

18. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a selfish question: Since Dave mentioned me in a previous video, how difficult would it be to do a "follow-up" after I finish my build?

Craig C

20. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quick question, on the unfortunate event that someone damages parts on their out of production cars (818, GTM, etc) is there any possibility of being able to get replacement parts and/or body panels from FFR?

22. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    More out of curiosity as I own one already but is there a new option in the works for roadster top? Seems like a lot of folks asking about them lately in the forums.
    Build 1: MKIV #7275 Gen 2 Coyote TK600, IRS 3.55 2020 Covid
    Build 2: Gen3 65 Coupe: Arrived June 2024. Gen 2 Coyote, T56, IRS 3.55 [/B]

24. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Episode of Ask Dave Anything is now live! Check it out below, and remember to submit questions here on the thread to possibly be answered in an upcoming episode.

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

26. Thanks JohnK, Geoff H thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Any chance for a 40-41 willys (truck or coupe) on hot rod / 35 truck chassis?
    Respectfully,
    Jeremie

28. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Likes JimLev liked this post
    Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this week's ADA, Factory Five President Dave Smith answers questions on buying a second-hand Factory Five, what "Dave Smith" special edition car would be, how many kits we have sold, pizza toppings, we get invited to Texas, and what is the best way to get in and out of the Type 65 Coupe. Send us your questions for an upcoming episode to [email protected].

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

30. Thanks JohnK thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Really cool! Good production MadDog!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

32. Likes Mad Dog liked this post
    Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicole filmed it, and we edited it together. Thanks for the feedback!
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, loved the tutorial on getting in and out of the coupe as with mine on order, it will come in handy in the not too distant future.
    I now realize in my previous post that I mentioned the idea of a Pantera replica, but did not phrase it as a question. So here is the question to Dave, would Factor Five consider making a Pantera, or modified Pantera replica?
    Like the Cobra and the Daytona, the Panteras that are still out there gather a lot of attention. I thought Lamborghini had bought DeTomaso, but no as they now owned by a Chinese company. But a little research on Wikipedia indicated that Ford had bought the rights to the Pantera back in the 70s. Unknown if Ford, or whomever owns the rights now would consider licensing the shape and name, but like the GT40, I would bet there are a number of us out there that would like to see the Pantera return without all the rust found in most originals.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

35. Thanks Mad Dog thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's not the answer I expected on the GT40. Love that you're still somewhat open to it. My 'next' project will be one..or perhaps something heavily inspired by it. It would be great to keep that in the FFR family.

Now I'm really looking forward to the Summer anniversary announcements

This was me at Paul Ricard with my GTD40 in 92..
    Paul Ricard.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

37. Likes Mad Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've already asked the first question for Episode 3

Will he respond before I have to start a whole new campaign is the question.

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    On the website, you sell parts and clothing items, how about adding banners for our shops! I have seen guys make up their own templates for slogans like "Built not Bought" and the like. I would like to be able to buy a Factory Five banner with the Built not Bought slogan in it but also a banner with a picture of the Red Type65 Coupe would be awesome as well. Would Factory Five be open to licensing their artwork and making pictures and banners available to their customers and want to be customers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    In this week's ADA, Factory Five President Dave Smith answers questions on buying a second-hand Factory Five, what "Dave Smith" special edition car would be, how many kits we have sold, pizza toppings, we get invited to Texas, and what is the best way to get in and out of the Type 65 Coupe. Send us your questions for an upcoming episode to [email protected].
    David,

Clarification for Dave Smith

0034A.jpg

Banner plane, bumper stickers, T-shirts, and a pallet of "gifts" from Da Bunnies for Dave's office at the ready.

Bill S.
    PS: Picture is mine, as was the car in 2022, all it's missing is the 289 FIA style rollbar I desire, or I might still own it today
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA