Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chris' Coupe Build #566 - Power Steering "Safety Loop"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    I guess I enjoy banging my head against the wall? Who knows, maybe I'll knock some sense in someday.
    You are not alone my friend, getting our heads wrapped around the axle is too easy to do, not to mention over thinking something to death before just going for it and doing it.
    Hey I took on a full restomod of a 70 Mach 1, so I really get it as the dents in the wall continue to accumulate. Fortunately the Mustang will be done next year and I will return to build a 65 Daytona coupe with Chevy power no less.
    Last edited by Alan_C; 06-06-2024 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Adding to the story.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

2. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Chris,
    It looks like your build is rolling along nicely. I'm about a week ahead of you. It's tempting to take off a week to let you get ahead. Reviewing your thread showed a few things I wish I had done differently. The tank is in on mine and brake and fuel lines are going in. A few minor problems popped up. Posting photos is still giving me issues, but I'll be posting on my thread tonight.
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Terry. Plenty of ways to approach things, so who's to say your approach isn't better, or at least best for your build. I'm slow, but I keep at it, trying to touch the build every day after work, if possible. Otherwise, my future grandchildren would end up with a half-built Coupe! My number one goal is to enjoy the process, and do my best to end up with a quality build (within my limited skillset).

I look forward to your updates later today.
    Last edited by 460.465USMC; 06-08-2024 at 04:13 PM.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    The builder's manual was kept close for the first few weeks. It took a while to decide that it was only a point of departure. All the answers aren't contained in its 584 pages. We now start there, but we move beyond. We are starting to loosen up with the build and having a lot more fun.

6. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Roller!

With the suspension built up, I decided it was time to make this thing a roller. It gives me the freedom to take the build off the lift as needed to accommodate other vehicle maintenance.

I chose the BFGOODRICH G-Force Rival S 1.5. I'm running the Nitto NT555 G2s on the Roadster. No complaints there, just wanted to try something different on the Coupe. Through some type of inventory error at Discount Tire, I ordered the Rival S, but was given the Rival S 1.5. Since it was their error, I was given the newer version at the old version price. Saved over $400. I'll take it, as it usually goes the other way.

Front: 275/35 R18. Wheel: 18x9
    Rear: 315/30 R18 Wheel: 18x10

I dig the deep dish wheel look. This is the rear.

Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now it's looking like a race car! I like the wheels, nice choice
    Gen 3 Coupe #576 - "Project Deimos"
    Ordered: 2/14/2024
    Received: 5/24/2024
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...upe-has-landed!

9. Thanks 460.465USMC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wheels and tires look great!
    MK4 Complete Kit. Gen3 Coyote, TKX, IRS. Wilwoods, Forgeline Wheels.
    Ordered 11/29/21. Kit received 8/18/22. First start 6/22/23.

11. Thanks 460.465USMC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Now it's looking like a race car! I like the wheels, nice choice
    Thanks, Jim. It's a fun milestone in the project.

Quote Originally Posted by Barwickad View Post
    Wheels and tires look great!
    Appreciate it, Andy. Can you tell I'm not a Halibrand dude? Hope to see some body/paint updates soon on your Roadster.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Those wheels are sexy Chris.
    Build 1 MK4 #10008 - Delivered 03/03/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Build 2 MK4 - Ordered 6/5/24

14. Thanks 460.465USMC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jesse. Did I mention this is a blast?

Wait a minute...your signature. Wait, wuh? A second MK4 build? More news is needed on this late breaking story!
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Jesse. Did I mention this is a blast?

Wait a minute...your signature. Wait, wuh? A second MK4 build? More news is needed on this late breaking story!
    I got the bug like you to keep building. I just don't have the cheddar to keep my first one and do it again. So I sold her (went fast) and ordered another roadster kit. This time with all the bells and whistles. I will be able to take what I learned and with a bigger budget build the car I never knew I wanted. I'll save the details for the build thread but I'm stepping up to Coyote and IRS.

This one is going to be very different. People are going absolutely love it or hate it. There will be no in between.
    Build 1 MK4 #10008 - Delivered 03/03/21, Graduated 7/20/22 - Sold 6/6/24
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Build 2 MK4 - Ordered 6/5/24

17. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That’s exciting. I’m loving your choice for motor and rear suspension! Looking forward to getting the details in your new build thread.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering "Safety Loop"

While I'm pecking away at the fuel system, I took a short detour and installed the F5 supplied "safety loop" for the power steering rack.

I'm assuming builders who recently ordered the F5 power steering option have received (or will soon) this stainless bracket. Mine came a week ago or so, with a tech update document inside the box. Apparently, a very small number of builders have reported receiving their PS rack with damage. Sounds like it has been on the right side mount. I didn't notice any crack in mine, but opted to install the safety loop as a precaution. Factory Five is shipping them out free of charge to add an additional layer of safety.

It comes as uncoated stainless, so I coated it with Eastwood Chassis Black. Install was a cinch since my Coupe is wide open and easily accessible. Just remove the mounting bolt and slip in the safety loop.

Installed: view from the front.

View from the rear.

I received two of them, perhaps because the PS rack in my Roadster is new enough (circa 2020)? Not sure if I will install that one, but coated it at the same time so it's ready to go. Will have to take a close look at it next time it's up on the lift.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I missed it Chris but what wheels are those? That's kind of what I have in mind for the next one.

It's all looking great!

Jeff

21. Thanks 460.465USMC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm pecking away at the fuel system, I took a short detour and installed the F5 supplied "safety loop" for the power steering rack.

I'm assuming builders who recently ordered the F5 power steering option have received (or will soon) this stainless bracket. Mine came a week ago or so, with a tech update document inside the box. Apparently, a very small number of builders have reported receiving their PS rack with damage. Sounds like it has been on the right side mount. I didn't notice any crack in mine, but opted to install the safety loop as a precaution. Factory Five is shipping them out free of charge to add an additional layer of safety.

It comes as uncoated stainless, so I coated it with Eastwood Chassis Black. Install was a cinch since my Coupe is wide open and easily accessible. Just remove the mounting bolt and slip in the safety loop.

Installed: view from the front.

View from the rear.

I received two of them, perhaps because the PS rack in my Roadster is new enough (circa 2020)? Not sure if I will install that one, but coated it at the same time so it's ready to go. Will have to take a close look at it next time it's up on the lift.
    Interesting. I haven't gotten one. So, what's the theory here? The rack is going to snap off at the weld points of the mount or something and the loop is going prevent what? Wouldn't both mounts have to break before you'd get steered into a wall?
    Gen 3 Coupe #576 - "Project Deimos"
    Ordered: 2/14/2024
    Received: 5/24/2024
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...upe-has-landed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Maybe I missed it Chris but what wheels are those? That's kind of what I have in mind for the next one.

It's all looking great!

Jeff
    Hi Jeff. The wheels are 1994-04 Mustang SVE Series 2. I bought them from LMR. Here's the link: 1994-04 Mustang SVE Series 2.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Interesting. I haven't gotten one. So, what's the theory here? The rack is going to snap off at the weld points of the mount or something and the loop is going prevent what? Wouldn't both mounts have to break before you'd get steered into a wall?
    All good questions, Jim. I reread the document sent with the safety loop, and it says they are sending these to MK4 and Coupe customers who purchased power steering racks since 2017. Your guess is as good as mine as to what could happen if the mount(s) were cracked/broken. Maybe someone with more experience than me can provide some insight. Regardless, it's an easy precaution and I was happy to install it.
    Chris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12