Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Fred's 289 FIA build

Post Thanks / Like

Fred's 289 FIA build

So I'm not that good at record keeping and documenting things, but I thought I'd try to do better on both scores. Ordered my kit May 1, completion date June 22, FFR had it ready a day early so was picked up by Stewart Transport on June 22 and delivered to my house June 23. Mark was my delivery driver and I can't say enough great things about him, his truck maneuvering skills, his fantastic attitude in the upper 90 degree weather here near DC on that day. Mark is really a first class guy and my delivery experience was superb.

Finished inventory Tuesday June 25, and began the build that day. A week later here begins my build entry and update.

Going to try to enter pictures.......we'll see how that goes.

Stand by.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I need to create a picture gallery, but I don't have those privileges, I don't think. Can anyone confirm that, or help me get the pictures oriented correctly.

Thanks, Fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    re: pics

The forum has issues with large pics (by design, to conserve bandwidth). To make sure your pics don't rotate I'd make sure that the long side of the pic doesn't exceed 2000 pixels before uploading. Then your rotation issue should go away.

For more tips click here

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks David. I'll follow that advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another attempt at pictures.

Delivery Sunday
    IMG_2016.jpg
    IMG_2026.jpgIMG_2021.jpgIMG_2025.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 1 - front suspension (brakes, rotors, calipers, shocks, springs), rear suspension, 3 link (brakes, calipers, shocks, springs, panhard rod), body removed and on buck
    IMG_2055.jpgIMG_2057.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Week 2 - only one day and now I may be stopped because interior aluminum pieces are all on back order. Harrumph. Anyway did the steering rack and pedal box and pedals, clutch, brake, accelerator. Will see what I can work on in the mean time.

IMG_2066.jpgIMG_2065.jpg
    Last edited by FRM; 07-04-2024 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Received cockpit aluminum and put in outside below door panels, and rear tunnel panel and 3/4 rear pieces. Blowing through 1/8 drill bits, but I remember that from my Lotus 7 build long ago. Sharp drills speed the process. Put in the fuel line. Is going to be carbureted and modest HP so single line sufficed. Floors are in and most of the aluminum around the drivers pedals. Some bits are "cleco-ed" in for now. Wheels came so need to buy tires. I mount and balance my own tires so will enjoy that. Waiting on brake line tee fittings to run brake lines.

I'm surprised how cramped the pedal box is. When I ran the Lotus 7 at the track I used wrestling shoes which are much cheaper than fancy race car shoes and may have to do the same here. Had to do some significant accelerator pedal bending to get it to stop hitting the aluminum and flipped the pad/pedal piece so more of it is below the pivot. I think it will work, if not I can work up another approach. Are you guys able to keep the silicone off your hands or do you end up with it all over the rivet tool and every thing else?

So I have an insurance question. It occurred to me that it isn't a moving car and so wouldn't likely be insured as such and probably will fall under home owner's insurance during the present build phase? I'll need to check that and would hate to have it damaged somehow in the garage and not be covered. You guys address that one in your experience.

Anyway tee fittings arrive tomorrow and then onward. Need to make final tire decision too. Probably 235/60r15 front and 275/60r15 rear.

Cheers.......Fred
    IMG_2084.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2092.jpgIMG_2093.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FRM View Post
    Week 1 - front suspension (brakes, rotors, calipers, shocks, springs), rear suspension, 3 link (brakes, calipers, shocks, springs, panhard rod), body removed and on buck
    IMG_2055.jpgIMG_2057.jpg
    Do the 289’s all come in black gel coat? Looks like you’re making good progress!

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding silicone getting on your hands, I use these when working in the garage, they’re tough, chemical resistant and I can even use my phone touch screen with them on;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVITRA...roduct_details

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes - all of the 289’s come in black gel coat.

12. Likes Jphoenix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWorth View Post
    Yes - all of the 289’s come in black gel coat.
    Woah, I didn’t know they did that. Interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished up wiring and test fit of the gauges in the dash. Lots of wires, will need to pay attention to that. Trunk panels and rear cockpit panel in place. Manual talks next about drive train. Uh oh........mine isn't due until October. I'll likely shift to body work on the buck and try to make progress there. Very enjoyable project. Lots of rivets and very fun. Really well thought out by FFR I think having done a scratch build myself long ago.
    IMG_2102.jpgIMG_2107.jpgIMG_2108.jpgIMG_2109.jpg

15. Likes Jphoenix liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    while waiting on engine did some body work knocking down parting lines and beginning to use Rage Gold filler.

IMG_2200.jpgIMG_2199.jpgIMG_2201.jpg

17. Likes Jphoenix liked this post