Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  44
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Terry's LS MK4 Build - Dash layout

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRRT View Post
    Hey Terry, your accessory drive setup looks great!
    When you had your engine in, did you check your driveshaft? FFR provided driveshaft #16038 with my order. Due to it being so short, I only had about 1 3/8" of engagement with the transmission output shaft. Most of the yoke was hanging out.
    I contacted FFR and sent some pics. They have driveshaft #60175 on the way to me. My engine is still in for test fitting, so I will see how it lines up once it arrives.

Thanks Jeff, I'll definitely measure before I drop it back in. Appreciate the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Looks good. How do intend to plumb between the lower radiator and thermostat housing?
    It shouldn't be too difficult since the radiator inlet and outlet are both on the passenger side, but those are famous last words.

Post Thanks / Like

Bellhousing Alignment

Not much new to report, other than I removed the drivetrain assembly and installed the clutch and Tilton 6000 hydraulic throwout bearing. Prior to that I checked the alignment of the bellhousing and was pleased to find that I don't need any adjustments (i.e. offset dowels).

In case it helps anyone else, I used an alignment method prescribed by Silver Sport Transmissions. It's very simple and straightforward. They describe it in this video:

Using this method, I ended up with a final number of 0.0025, which is within the 0.005 tolerance required by Tremec. I believe the smallest available offset dowel 0.007, which wouldn't help here.

4. Thanks zarnold thanked for this post
    Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Drivetrain install

Pardon the absurdly large photos... I must have forgotten to resize correctly.

Pretty good weekend, got the final drivetrain install done. I'm sure other LS builders will agree that this setup sits in there very nicely, but no surprise given the dimensions are similar to the SBF. The crank pulley sits about an inch (maybe a hair less) above the cross member, and that's with the FFR LS mounts and no spacers. Very happy about that. As can been seen in the photos, I rotated the fuel rail 180 degrees and converted the quick-connect to AN.

The trimmed Quicktime bellhousing sits about dead even with the bottom of the 4" tubes. Crappy photo, but you get the idea:

I was able to get the transmission aligned within spec to the rear end with three 1/4" spacers from Forte:

And finally, as I think I noted previously, the shifter landed in a perfect location without having to cut any of the chassis.

6. Likes Mike.Bray, Jim Frahm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Again, it's been a while since my last update.

My primary focus now is getting everything in place required to start the engine. I've got the wiring harness and PCM installed, along with the primary power wiring. As you might imagine, there are no lack of fancy billet PCM mounts out there, but I chose to go with an $20 GM unit from eBay that's made of some sort of plastic or poly material. Apparently using a conductive mount can lead to ground looping issues.

The fans are all wired and tested. At low temp, both Spal fans move at half-speed and they barely make any noise. At high temp, both fans run at full speed and I think they could suck a small child into the radiator. Still pretty quiet though. The relay box is installed on the 3/4" tube in the engine bay. The fan harness is specifically for dual fans and the LS platform/PCM.

Last edited by OB6; 04-21-2024 at 06:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The fuel lines are all in place and pressure tested with my compressor and soapy water. Good old-school leak test. Of course I'll double check when the system is pressurized with fuel. The regulator sits just inside the passenger side rear wheel well and is very accessible.

Last edited by OB6; 04-21-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I'll need to figure out is the connection to the lower port on the radiator. The tow loop is right there and doesn't provide much room, so I think I'll need to trim or remove it completely (maybe replace with a threaded tow hook like you'd see on many modern vehicles). Other than that, the routing is pretty straightforward.

Last edited by OB6; 04-21-2024 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, going on a couple months since my last update. Glad blogging isn't my day job.

The engine bay is filling up, with a lot of time spent on thinking through things like hose routing, tank placement intake design, etc. And then sourcing the parts. It's all a lot of fun, but definitely time consuming.

20240609_170954.jpg

In the most recent previous post, I mentioned how the lower radiator might be a challenge because well, this is an LS and I also have a custom radiator. I had to make a hose out of three molded hoses. Good thing the local NAPA guys are really patient didn't mind me sitting there with the catalog and asking them to retrieve certain hoses. In the end, I bought about twelve hoses and kept five to complete the upper and lower hoses. I made sure to keep the part numbers for future reference. I had to insert a 1.25" to 1.5" transition in the upper hose.

20240609_172503.jpg

20240609_172517.jpg

I went with Canton expansion and overflow tanks. I found out Canton operates an eBay store where they sell their blemished items for about 50% off in many cases.

Expansion/surge tank:

20240609_171004.jpg

Overflow tank (the bracket's will be removed and coated):

20240609_171012.jpg

The system is designed around this diagram (thanks to fellow builder Bruce for pointing me to it). I had seen it on the internet before, but not the variation without the heater.

LS cooling system - no heater_resize.jpeg
    Last edited by OB6; 06-09-2024 at 05:54 PM.

11. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The intake took some consideration. I thought about keeping the filter in the engine bay like most people do, but GM is pretty specific about spacing requirements for the MAF sensor. Granted, plenty of people have deviated from those requirements with fine results. But I'd like to keep this in-spec as much as possible, and I'd also like to see if I can get cooler air into the engine ("cooler" is an amusing word when you live in Texas). It turns out that it's been done before with a MKIV... see this post in It's Bruce's build.

I essentially copied Bruce's setup (what's the imitation/flattery saying?) after a bunch of PM's exchanged...

20240609_155202.jpg

20240609_141309.jpg

This is just temporary hardware... no need for 1.5" bolts.

20240609_141251.jpg

The filter will end up looking like this:

IMG-20230704-WA0005.jpg
    Last edited by OB6; 06-10-2024 at 09:26 PM.

13. Thanks Its Bruce thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As other LS builders have noted, the factory dipstick is not an easy fit mostly because of the engine mounts. After jacking around with it for a while, I finally decided to install a Lokar unit, which worked perfectly.

A small bend to the Lokar bracket, along with a spacer and cap screw, and it's all good:

20240609_180936.jpg

Fairly clean routing to the dipstick port:

20240609_180948.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    As other LS builders have noted, the factory dipstick is not an easy fit mostly because of the engine mounts. After jacking around with it for a while, I finally decided to install a Lokar unit, which worked perfectly.

A small bend to the Lokar bracket, along with a spacer and cap screw, and it's all good:

20240609_180936.jpg

Fairly clean routing to the dipstick port:

20240609_180948.jpg
    That starter/motor mount/motor mount adapter/header/spark plug area sure gets crowded when it comes time to install a dipstick tube. I did something real similar after trying to bend and modify 2 GM dipstick tubes.
    Yours looks real clean!
    ----------------------------------------------

Jeff
    Roadster delivered 8/27/23
    Chevrolet Performance LS3
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRRT View Post
    That starter/motor mount/motor mount adapter/header/spark plug area sure gets crowded when it comes time to install a dipstick tube. I did something real similar after trying to bend and modify 2 GM dipstick tubes.
    Yours looks real clean!
    Thanks Jeff - yes it's a tight area. I ruined one GM dipstick before deciding I needed to go a different route. I couldn't get a smooth enough bend that fit without the dipstick getting stuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great!
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    A quick panel for the relays and such...

20240614_112349.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the air filter installed. This should work well. The rest of the intake is at the coater getting treated with cermet along with the headers.

20240621_171418.jpg

20240621_171434.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for another series of procrastinated build posts. Overall, I'm getting prepared for first start. Things that need to be done before that include the following:

• Fill tank and test fuel system pressure
    • Prime and fill engine with oil; will be using Driven BR30
    • Install new master cylinders and bleed the hydraulics... more on that below.
    • Temporarily install oil pressure and water temp gauges
    • Maybe pressurize the cooling system prior to first start, or just let 'er rip and see what happens. System is filled with DexCool.
    • Adjust/set the Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing. I guess this isn't really necessary for first start, but it would be nice to have it done
    • Install side pipes

The engine bay is 99% done.

20240706_131111~2.jpg

I decided to have the headers ceramic metallic coated... essentially the same as JetHot.

20240703_121140.jpg

Also had the intake pipes coated the same way. The heat reduction won't provide a material benefit in this application (compared to the headers), but they look nice and match.

20240712_172720.jpg

Power steering lines are installed. I kept it simple and just routed them over the X member. Lee Power Steering was a great source for everything.

20240712_172448.jpg

I finished the gas pedal using an extra pedal pad that I ordered from Mike Forte a while back. I think it came out pretty well. The nice thing is how adjustable it is. I can move it up, down, and side to side if needed. We'll see how the current position works out and go from there.

20240711_180535.jpg

20240711_180545.jpg

20240712_171334.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Leaking Wilwood MC

I mentioned above how I needed to install new master cylinders. I've always had this feeling that it will be "when" and not "if" one of the Wilwood MC's fails... based on nothing more than what I've read here and other forums (not necessary FFR related). I even contemplated proactively replacing all of them before I get the aluminum buttoned up, but I didn't make it a priority. Until this morning.

I started to bench bleed the clutch MC and wouldn't you know... it started leaking. I didn't get upset or annoyed... I just grabbed my wrenches, removed all three MC's and headed down to Summit Racing for new Tiltons. Sometimes it's better to just find a different solution and move on. I'm not taking it up with FFR or Wilwood... it's just not worth my time, and I have zero interest in installing a new Wilwood or rebuilding it.

20240714_154607.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Almost ready for first start. Just tested the fuel system -- no leaks, fires, or explosions, and 58 lbs at the rail.

Just need to install the side pipes.

20240720_103026.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

First start!

Big day today with the first start of the LS3. No leaks or funny noises. All systems were operating perfectly according to the OBD2 scanner. Fans came on as they were supposed to. It really helped to have a couple friends there to check things along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1GEP8Us2VCA

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5xKEotfrAAs

Those are just temporary wheels and tires. I'll put rubber on the Halibrands sometime in the next few months. These work fine for now, and no worries about dinging them up.
    Last edited by OB6; 08-04-2024 at 06:12 PM.

24. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Job Terry! Congratulations on this milestone

Craig C

26. Thanks OB6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job! I've been watching your LS build and taking some pointers, although mine is for a coupe.
    Gen 3 Coupe #576 - "Project Deimos"
    Ordered: 2/14/2024
    Received: 5/24/2024
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...upe-has-landed!

28. Thanks OB6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That sounds just like it should!!!!!

I'm currently fitting doors, hood, and trunk. Once that's complete I'll be ready to get it licensed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Terry! I've been quietly following along because I may be venturing down a similar path soon. Thanks for the documentation!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Nice Job Terry! Congratulations on this milestone

Craig C
    Quote Originally Posted by JimStone View Post
    Great job! I've been watching your LS build and taking some pointers, although mine is for a coupe.
    Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Frahm View Post
    Congrats! That sounds just like it should!!!!!

I'm currently fitting doors, hood, and trunk. Once that's complete I'll be ready to get it licensed.
    Cool, thanks Jim. BTW, your clutch pedal stop is gold. Good luck with the body fitment... I'm not looking forward to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Congrats Terry! I've been quietly following along because I may be venturing down a similar path soon. Thanks for the documentation!

Jeff
    Glad it helps Jeff. I should probably call you soon to get in your queue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great . I enjoy the oh so common "whoa, it actually started. Oh yah, I should be checking the oil pressure..."
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

33. Likes OB6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Its Bruce View Post
    Sounds great . I enjoy the oh so common "whoa, it actually started. Oh yah, I should be checking the oil pressure..."
    Yeah I was expecting it to crank a little longer than it did, so it took me by surprise when it came to life. It almost looked like the ignition switch shocked me. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Dash

The dash is almost done. The four mounting brackets behind the dash are installed and the screws are countersunk to keep them from showing under the leather and the closed cell backing (probably 1/16 or 1/8, no more). Thanks to others before me for the idea (and especially) to John Ibele for his assistance via PM.

This process wasn't without drama. I originally attached a 0.40 backing layer to help with rigidity. Unfortunately I used 3M Super 77 which I've had great results with in the past. Unfortunately I think this Texas heat isn't conducive to proper curing, and furthermore I read that it only has heat resistance up to 150 degrees -- which could spell trouble when the dash inevitably sits in, again, the Texas heat and sun. I should have done more research before using 77. Luckily I was able to remove the backing layer without any damage to the dash. I chose to move forward without it, and only use small pieces of backing in certain places as needed (for example, between the dash and mounting brackets). I'll use panel adhesive for that.

I used a variation of the comp layout, sitting in position to make sure I could see everything well. Because of this, I decided not to place any gauges to the left of the steering wheel hub. Additionally I decided to place the clock above the grab handle... a decision that I knew would be a "love it" or "hate it" thing. I like it a lot -- IMO it gives some balance and something extra to the dash. I'm sure many will disagree.

The only other items I'll add to the face of the dash are the e-brake button (probably to the left of the steering hub), a couple billet push-button switches for high-beams and interior lights, and the check-engine light. I want to keep it as clean as possible. The hazard switch is built into i.e.427's turn signal switch. The switches for headlights, ignition, and wipers will all go under the dash in the panels I built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Terry! I like that you are making your own special customizations

What's the part number for your grab handle?

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    The dash is almost done. The four mounting brackets behind the dash are installed and the screws are countersunk to keep them from showing under the leather and the closed cell backing (probably 1/16 or 1/8, no more). Thanks to others before me for the idea (and especially) to John Ibele for his assistance via PM.

This process wasn't without drama. I originally attached a 0.40 backing layer to help with rigidity. Unfortunately I used 3M Super 77 which I've had great results with in the past. Unfortunately I think this Texas heat isn't conducive to proper curing, and furthermore I read that it only has heat resistance up to 150 degrees -- which could spell trouble when the dash inevitably sits in, again, the Texas heat and sun. I should have done more research before using 77. Luckily I was able to remove the backing layer without any damage to the dash. I chose to move forward without it, and only use small pieces of backing in certain places as needed (for example, between the dash and mounting brackets). I'll use panel adhesive for that.

I used a variation of the comp layout, sitting in position to make sure I could see everything well. Because of this, I decided not to place any gauges to the left of the steering wheel hub. Additionally I decided to place the clock above the grab handle... a decision that I knew would be a "love it" or "hate it" thing. I like it a lot -- IMO it gives some balance and something extra to the dash. I'm sure many will disagree.

The only other items I'll add to the face of the dash are the e-brake button (probably to the left of the steering hub), a couple billet push-button switches for high-beams and interior lights, and the check-engine light. I want to keep it as clean as possible. The hazard switch is built into i.e.427's turn signal switch. The switches for headlights, ignition, and wipers will all go under the dash in the panels I built.

I like it.
    I too wanted something on the PS dash to break up the blank space, especially since I wasn't having a glove box there.
    I think Shelby himself put the speedo on the PS dash to piss off race officials who required a speedo in a race car.30B1875D-81E2-42B0-B2A7-12C3394E6915.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cc2Arider View Post
    Looks good Terry! I like that you are making your own special customizations

What's the part number for your grab handle?

Craig C
    Thanks Craig. It's a 12" stainless handrail from West Marine, model # 12868733.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    I like it.
    I too wanted something on the PS dash to break up the blank space, especially since I wasn't having a glove box there.
    I think Shelby himself put the speedo on the PS dash to piss off race officials who required a speedo in a race car.30B1875D-81E2-42B0-B2A7-12C3394E6915.jpg
    Thanks - I really like your dash... the layout and the color. Yes, that would seem to fit Shelby's personality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123