Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Shifter Cables - Teleflex discontinued?

Post Thanks / Like

Shifter Cables - Teleflex discontinued?

Hi all,

There have been suggestions of using Teleflex Xtreme Control cables (CCX43007) as a replacement for the factory cables when run straight back.
    However I am having troubles sourcing these cables. Whenever I place an order, the store cancels it and states the product is discontinued.
    Is there a replacement/supersession, or a cable that would work just as well? Somewhere that will ship these cables to Canada?
    Last edited by Neeraj Ahluwalia; 04-29-2024 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Ahluwalia View Post
    Hi all,

There have been suggestions of using Teleflex Xtreme Control cables (CCX43007) as a replacement for the factory cables when run straight back.
    However I am having troubles sourcing these cables. Whenever I place an order, the store cancels it and states the product is discontinued.
    Is there a replacement/supersession, or a cable that would work just as well? Somewhere that will ship these cables to Canada?
    I can't help with the sourcing issue your having but I can confirm that the Teleflex Xtreme cables are excellent! Keep trying.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

3. Likes Neeraj Ahluwalia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neeraj Ahluwalia View Post
    Hi all,

Teleflex was bought by Dometic a few years back. They still offer the cables though using pretty much the same model numbering system. You can try going to a marine store. That’s how I know about it

5. Thanks Neeraj Ahluwalia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 96” cable from the VCP K Tuned kit I am not using.

image_167869441.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought cables from Custom Control Cables in Houma, LA and am happy with them.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine are from Midwest Control Products...

9. Thanks Neeraj Ahluwalia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    Mine are from Midwest Control Products...
    Same. Work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the help. It seems that Teleflex was indeed bought by Dometic, however they no longer offer the 4300 series (1/4"-28 fittings).
    Scouring the marine forums I have seen a lot of suggestions for both UFlex Mach Zero and CableCraft Blue Max cables (and some others). However these are all only available in #10-32.
    Would it be a bad idea to downsize to #10 fittings? It seems they have a push load capacity of around 80lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Midwest Control has 1/4-28... in many lengths and the right end configuration

13. Likes Neeraj Ahluwalia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How flexible are they? They do seem to ship to Canada. Want to try to minimize slop
    Last edited by Neeraj Ahluwalia; 05-09-2024 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 1/4" push/pull cable will be fairly substantial, somewhat flexible yes but you want to route it with as few and gentle bends as possible. The reason the FF5 stock setup is sloppy is that they have you running the cables forward with about 270 degrees of total bend by the time it gets to the transmission. My setup with an MR2 shifter and the cables running aft has only about 15 or 20 degrees of bend total and is very smooth and positive.

As far as any particular brand of cable goes, what you are looking for is something with a low friction liner - teflon or something like it. It won't require lube and will last a long long time.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I was finally able to find a source for the Teleflex 1/4" cables. The cables are definitely smoother.
    Now they have a bulkhead fitting on one end and it seems to be a clamp style on the other end. Those of you who use Teleflex cables - how did you mount your cable to the transmission/bellcrank? Most shifter cables seem to have bulkhead fittings on both ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't do teleflex brand, but my cables do have the threaded ends on one end and a slot for securing the other end. I made my own rear bracket by cutting up the FFR bracket and remaking it. I made my own belcrank, and Mechie sells a nice aluminum setup. I used something like the clamp style mount from ACS at the front.

Ed

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=80570

20210609_170453.jpg

18. Likes Neeraj Ahluwalia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    Midwest Control has 1/4-28... in many lengths and the right end configuration
    ^what he said. I bought the Zero Decibel Motorsports shifter and ran the cables that he recommended on the site. They are pretty stiff and hard to bend around to where you want to route them, but they provide good shifter feel once you have things adjusted right.

Link to Zero Decibel Motorsports shifter
    Link to suggested shifter cables

20. Likes Neeraj Ahluwalia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys - I was able to source some cables and some clamps to mount them.

I have been iterating through different designs of bellcrank. However, any way I make it, I can't seem to minimize the interference between the forward/aft movement and the side to side movement. Here's a video to show what I'm talking about: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rrCJAkNRs6Qpnr939
    The bellcrank should remain stationary, but it moves a little due to the forward motion pulling it.

This requires pulling the shifter diagonally back to get into second. This also makes it hard to distinguish second from fourth. Visible here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wQWAKuA1E8mhAZeb9

I can't see how the zero decibel bellcrank solves this issue. Does yours work fine? If I make the vertical rod any shorter (like the zdb bellcrank), it makes the issue worse as it is pulling it at a steeper angle. My bellcrank looks like this: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tXaSjmCNzWn7vy2u7
    Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    You might try adding a large enough spacer to the upper end of the vertical rod so that the bell crank doesn’t move when the upper end of the vertical rod does. Looks like an inch might do it.

Shifter spacer.jpg

23. Thanks Neeraj Ahluwalia thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks RPG, adding that spacer did help a lot. It seems that it's good enough to use.
    To be honest, I don't fully understand why that made so much of a difference. I understand having the upper end be at the top of its arc swing would minimize the vertical travel when moving horizontally, but I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.
    Regardless, thanks for the advice. Can finally get the car on the road now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so glad that helped. I'm also surprised that it makes so much difference in the feel of the shifting. I've just got the factory five long cable solution with virtually no feel at all. Your solution has to be better than that!
    Enjoy being on the road,
    RPG

26. Likes Neeraj Ahluwalia liked this post