Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chris's NEO #19218 Build: (Body lift + Front suspension)

Post Thanks / Like

Chris's NEO #19218 Build: (Body lift + Front suspension)

Hey everyone, Welcome to Chris's Build Thread

Wanted to log progress for my MK4 #19218 Factory Five Roadster build.

I've always loved hands-on projects that mix engineering with creativity. I am thrilled to start this build. I've got tentative plans for it, my goal at least of now, a SBF/Dart w based motor, along with wanting to learn to do body work, and paint. I understand that this is an uphill battle and am thrilled to learn everything along the way.

So, here's how it's been going:

Ordered basic kit w/IRS and powder coating May16th
    IMG_2811.jpg

Delivery July 14 by Stewart Transport, absolute professionals, I was concerned about delivery space, but driver was able to maneuver effortlessly and he was out in less than an hour.
    PXL_20240614_122634395.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

Chassis Cart:
    I started the day I got the kit by constructing the chassis cart. these base plans

Body lift:
    I tend to try and be as self sufficient as possible. The body lift enables me to easily remove/place the body on the chassis, as well move around the shop, and I will modify this in the future to securely hold the body lower for when I am working the body. It's welded together from 3 7' 2x3 steel tubing making up the base also on casters, then 12" 2.5" square tube holders where 6' 2.25" steel tube vertical supports, then another cantilevered 6' 2.25" , all gusseted up , cost about $500, and now takes up a large portion of my garage. Two 150lb kayak pulley systems are then used to raise/lower the body.
    PXL_20240630_192352034.jpg

The Build so far:
    Installing the f panels and front suspension as its in the front of the book!!, using the Factory Five lower control arms
    PXL_20240714_184020633.jpg

Next Steps:
    looking into power steering rack, and while I was working in there, I am looking into the Forte Performance front sway bar. and still deciding on what brake system to go with, depending on whether we choose 15-inch wheels or other...

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by microbionic; 07-24-2024 at 06:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chris,

Congratulations on the new build! I sent you a note to your private message box. Sorry for the delay in getting this posted!

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to following along with your build!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

3. Thanks microbionic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to work on the body in between the expensive drivetrain bits, with trimming filling and sanding and such. Could not do that with the body dangling from the lift, so i modified it to support the body from underneath with removable supports. Each of the 4, 3 foot long, 2 inch square supports slide into a welded on socket of 3 inch long, 2.5 inch square tube section and is tightened by a welded on nut+bolt. ontop the supports each have a custom printed TPU padding so not to mar the undersurface. I can now stably move the body around freely, even outside for sanding. I have also acquired parking blocks so i don't drive into the cobra with my other project car or daily driver.... as it has become cramped. So next time i need to lift the body i can assemble the lift boom arms, and slide the chassis underneath it for mating.... that will be awhile...

Next project on my list, provision and install the power steering rack.

PXL_20240810_155720430.jpgPXL_20240810_225228861.jpgPXL_20240810_171521284.jpgPXL_20240811_000210385.jpgPXL_20240810_231158271.jpg