FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Help me think through this new wet sump idea

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would also be worth reaching out to Bill Walker toss around some ideas, he did a lot of testing with the Arc Tangent plate and has built a beautiful airplane at home. My KB pan was about 3/4 of and inch below the frame rail wasn't a concern to me, I have had many wet sump race cars with the pan below the frame. With all the track I had on my 818 which included a few 2 and 4 offs and straddling curbs and rumbles the pan wasn't touched. I wouldn't be afraid to have the pan below the frame rail, that just me.
    Looks like you have some interesting options to explore and will be a fun project. I assume the engine has the same problem as all boxer engines with oil wanting to fill the heads. I think your on the right track with some sort of baffle/oil control plate and making sure the pick up always has oil. Your thought process my be way ahead of me on this, KB Oil control valve for the cam cover breathers (assuming they are the same as the EJ) and AOS and a pan with a captured pick-up with trap doors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Wright View Post
    It would also be worth reaching out to Bill Walker toss around some ideas, he did a lot of testing with the Arc Tangent plate and has built a beautiful airplane at home.
    I may try that to toss around some ideas and pick his brain about it. Hey, Bill you out there reading this thread?

I assume the engine has the same problem as all boxer engines with oil wanting to fill the heads.
    The EZ platform does not seem to suffer from this like the EJ's do. The oil returns through the center of the front timing chain case and two baffled ports in the upper oil pan. There are two oil pans, an upper that's integrated with the block and a small stamped steel lower pan.

I think your on the right track with some sort of baffle/oil control plate and making sure the pick up always has oil. Your thought process my be way ahead of me on this, KB Oil control valve for the cam cover breathers (assuming they are the same as the EJ) and AOS and a pan with a captured pick-up with trap doors?
    I think you miss interpreted my first post. I am NOT able to use a baffle/oil control plate or the Killer B oil control valve for the cam covers. I was thinking of using the Killer B valve connected directly to the oil pickups in the oil pan, using the valve to control which pickup in the pan was open to the oil pump. In any case its not feasible with that product.

I am going to experiment with an aviation Christen Oil Valve mounted horizontally and not vertically like you see in the picture in the first post..
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A