Thanks Thanks:  62
Likes Likes:  91

Thread: P100DHG Build Thread - Gen 3 Coupe #138

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Body In Primer, On Deck For Paint and a Small Upholstery Update

Paint Update

Had a great visit over at Jeff Miller's today. Such a generous and nice guy. Love going down there. I brought my 4 year old son (soon to be 5).

Final pictures of the car in primer. There is one roadster ahead of me and then I'm up for paint. Looking like mid to late April completion for paint. If everything goes well I'm looking at a mid to late summer graduation.

IMG_1574.jpg IMG_1573.jpg IMG_1572.jpg IMG_1275.jpg

Headliner Saga Solved:

I went through quite a headliner saga. I want a leather headliner to match the roll bars. My upholstery shop in Los Angeles which is 110 miles from Jeff's in Temecula wouldn't go down to do the headliner before the body is on the chassis, he also wouldn't do the headliner after the body was on the chassis so I was stuck. He wanted me to move the whole painted body to him and I was like... NOPE too risky! I made at least a few dozen phone calls, had one guy sign up to do it and then back out (which was a blessing in disguise because he was absurdly expensive) but then I met Oscar a local upholsterer in Temecula who is going to do it for me. He is thinking one piece but I am thinking 5 pieces. Just put the seams on the A and C pillars, roll bars are going to mask them anyway plus there is already enough technical work since all the edges have to be seamed since there is no moldings to tuck things into. Glad that is behind me for sure.

Upholstery Update

The chassis is coming together, progress is slow, he has a ton of jobs and since I'm not in a rush neither is he. He made panels for the foot boxes, which weren't spacious to begin with. Not sure how I feel about them but I am going to let him do his thing. This seems like a lot of brown but remember that the floor mats are silver metal, so are the foot box kick panels, dash, top of transmission tunnel and trunk walls are staying silver powder coated. He also finished the roll bar leather below the dash pad. As I am typing this I am realizing he's getting pretty close to complete. What's left is the dash pad, e-brake and shift boot, transmission tunnel walls, and a trunk mat. Oh!!! and a small touch inside the engine bay. Gonna look spectacular!

IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1512.jpg

Reconnaissance

I did some reconnaissance on roadsters the last couple times I've been at Jeff's, getting the itch. I think I should scratch it, don't you?
    Last edited by P100DHG; 03-23-2021 at 12:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by P100DHG View Post

Reconnaissance

I did some reconnaissance on roadsters the last couple times I've been at Jeff's, getting the itch. I think I should scratch it, don't you?

Isn't that funny, not even done with this one yet and already looking at other opportunities. I did the same, mine is a GT40 fix though!

Sweet looking interior so far, glad you got the headliner issue figured out.

John
    Last edited by John Dol; 03-23-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

3. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dol View Post
    Isn't that funny, not even done with this one yet and already looking at other opportunities. I did the same, mine is a GT40 fix though!

Sweet looking interior so far, glad you got the headliner issue figured out.

John
    Thanks John, your post lit a fire under my *** and rather than worrying about it I decided to put my energy into solving the problem. I appreciate the info you shared, it was really a big help.

What I learned from this build is that doing the leg work ahead of time really pays off, also with parts shortages and demand right now it may never be too soon cause the wait could be really long. I know you’re thinking about selling your Daytona But I’d love to see you do a GT40. Make sure if you do you loop us in if you pull the trigger. I want to follow the build!