Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  365

Thread: 460.465USMC's MK4 Build #9890 - V.I.N. for the Win and Spring Rumble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Most roadster owners have learned to run lower tire pressures than expected, due to light wt, for the best ride.
    You need to correct this for dyno runs. You can pick up or get more accurate hp numbers after this correction.
    Nice post.
    Hi Railroad. You're right. I'm running 24 PSI in rear, and 22 up front. So, you're saying if I ran the rear tires up to say 35 PSI or so, the HP results read by the dyno would have been higher and/or more accurate? Is this because the contact patch would be slightly smaller (i.e. smaller contact patch=less friction=less load on the motor?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzboy54 View Post
    Just awesome. So happy for you Chris. I wish I was close I would love nothing more than to go for a drive. The thing that has taken me by surprise is after all the initial tuning and debugging just how reliable it is. Just turn the key and go. It’s been great.
    Thanks, Jesse! I'm really enjoying this part of the build experience. What a blast!

Great to hear yours is dialed in and running as expected. It is fun to hop in on a whim and go for a drive. I'm still volunteering to run errands for my wife.

Road trip?

Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

2. Likes Blitzboy54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Hi Railroad. You're right. I'm running 24 PSI in rear, and 22 up front. So, you're saying if I ran the rear tires up to say 35 PSI or so, the HP results read by the dyno would have been higher and/or more accurate? Is this because the contact patch would be slightly smaller (i.e. smaller contact patch=less friction=less load on the motor?)?

Thanks, Jesse! I'm really enjoying this part of the build experience. What a blast!

Great to hear yours is dialed in and running as expected. It is fun to hop in on a whim and go for a drive. I'm still volunteering to run errands for my wife.

Road trip?

Fantastic, Chris, very happy the tune worked well. I’m right behind you at about 800 miles, which doesn’t properly represent ‘seat time’ - a fair amount has been at idle, using the laptop software for the Sniper. A deep dive but immensely satisfying. I may get a tune on a dyno at some point but I’ve reached the most satisfying part: a reliable, very street-friendly setup where I can just turn the key and go. Sooo much fun with the right choices and setup.

I like the road trip visual! One of those white dots is Minneapolis, right? Maybe we make it a caravan for the rest of the drive East to Jesse’s
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

4. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post

Road trip?

That looks truly awesome. Don't suppose you need a passenger?
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

6. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Fantastic, Chris, very happy the tune worked well. I’m right behind you at about 800 miles, which doesn’t properly represent ‘seat time’ - a fair amount has been at idle, using the laptop software for the Sniper. A deep dive but immensely satisfying. I may get a tune on a dyno at some point but I’ve reached the most satisfying part: a reliable, very street-friendly setup where I can just turn the key and go. Sooo much fun with the right choices and setup.

I like the road trip visual! One of those white dots is Minneapolis, right? Maybe we make it a caravan for the rest of the drive East to Jesse’s
    Hi John. Very cool you're getting the bits and bytes squared away on your tune. I imagine your winter starts even earlier than mine, so the clock is ticking on 2023 drives. We best keep at it, grinning at every turn and satisfying acceleration. Boy, this part is fun!

P.S. Of course one of those white dots is Minneapolis. Two Cobras heading East. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    That looks truly awesome. Don't suppose you need a passenger?
    It would truly be an excellent adventure. I tend to make wrong turns at virtually every opportunity, so yes, a passenger would be required to keep me pointed in the right direction!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

8. Likes BRRT liked this post