Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: One or Two Brake Reservoirs???

Post Thanks / Like

One or Two Brake Reservoirs???

If I'm puting in disc brake all around should I put in two brake reservoirs insead of one, or does it matter?
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR Wilwood setup uses a common reservior to supply both master cylinders. For safety purposes I prefer a seperate reservior for each.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The FFR Wilwood setup uses a common reservior to supply both master cylinders. For safety purposes I prefer a seperate reservior for each.

Jeff
    I agree, and I run separate reservoirs. Mike Forte sells a nice cnc set of reservoirs. Keep in mind that if you want to run a hydraulic clutch, you'll need a reservoir for that too. Mike sells double and triple reserviors. You'll need to fab up a bracket to mount them on.

Here's a pic of my setup:

HTH,

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David, here's a link to the bracket I fabbed for the reservoir. It's a big image, that why I'm only linking to it:

Brake reservoir Bracket

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Found a sweet one at this website and the price isn't to bad. It should work....right?

http://www.otbgear.com/Remote-Brake-...voir-P201.aspx
    Last edited by LuckyWinner; 09-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    Found a sweet one at this website and the price isn't to bad. It should work....right?

http://www.otbgear.com/Remote-Brake-...voir-P201.aspx
    Yep, that'll do. Are you running a hydraulic clutch? If so, you'll need a triple instead of a double.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The extra volume of the reservoir serves 2 functions, first to ensure that as the pads wear down and pistons extend, filling the calipers with fluid, there is enough fluid in the system to replace what is no longer in the master cylinder. The second is to provide backup fluid to the remaining side in case of a failure on one end of the system. Having one reservoir with enough volume accomplishes this just as well as two reservoirs so long as there is a small amount of fluid left to prevent air from entering the remaining functioning side of the sytem during an emergency stop. Most OEM master cylinders have one tank with a low divider built in to accomplish this. In a sytem with a single remote reservoir and a Tee in the lines the volume is provided by the section of line after the T. On the Willwood reservoirs the smaller ones measure approx 2.5"x2"x1.75 or roughly 8.75 cubic inches of volume each. The larger reservoir is approx 2.25x2.25x4.75 or roughly 24 cubic inches, more than the volume of two of the smaller reservoirs and plenty for the entire system. Having 2 seperate reservoirs doesn't hurt anything but having just one large one is just as safe as it is on an OEM master cyl.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    David, here's a link to the bracket I fabbed for the reservoir. It's a big image, that why I'm only linking to it:

Brake reservoir Bracket

Hey Dave,

Looks good......would like to copy that....What are the spec's on your bracket (ie height/width/thickness of sheet metal)?

Steve

Rookie Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question since we are on this topic....

I am planning on using 2 resos as per the mkiv online manual, however I have also installed the "firewall forward" kit. I plan on installing a 302 so my question is with this setup, does anyone know if there is enough space between the firewall and the engine to install the resos on the firewall? Thx.