Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: King's MK4 Coyote Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote Accelerator Pedal Mod

The accelerator pedal that comes with the Coyote engine electronics is very large and needs to be heavily modified to mount in the foot box. FF has instructions in the Coyote build manual for doing this but even then, it doesn't look right. There are other pedal options that are quite pricy so I did a little search for other factory pedals that might fit a little better. I found this one Ford uses in their 2012 Van that looked very promising. I picked one up from the local Ford dealer for under $100 (2012 E350 van, p/n BC2Z-9F836-B).

DSCF4534d.jpg

What I thought might be a bolt in turned out to need a little modification because the crook in the arm was in the wrong direction. Here is a view of the crook.

DSCF4537d.jpg

I disassembled it and proceeded to cut the curve section out of the arm. Here it is in three pieces.

DSCF4538d.jpg

I made an insert to reattach the pedal end to the root and removed the plastic webbing to allow the insert to fit slightly below flush. I attached the parts with #8 SS flat head screws and added some polyurethane hard setting calk to fill the voids between the plastic and metal insert. My first attempt was a flat insert DSCF4549d.jpg but after a trial fit in the foot box, it became apparent that an offset would be needed. I remade the insert with a crook. I reused the studs from the bracket that came with the pedal and pressed them in my mounting plate. The parts are shown here. The extra holes in the mounting bracket are from the trial and error attempts to find the ideal location for the pedal.

DSCF4558d.jpg

Here are some close ups of it installed. The location for now feels right but I have room to tweak it both up and down and left and right. One picture shows the 5.5" space between the mod sheet metal and the brake pedal.

DSCF4561d.jpg DSCF4563d.jpg

The parts are powder coated black with my Eastwood equipment that has served me very well. Thirty minutes after I have made a part, it is coated, baked and ready to be assembled.

One last picture of the comparison of the large pedal vs. the small one.

DSCF4553d.jpg
    Last edited by 2bking; 07-26-2014 at 06:41 PM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build