Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: King's MK4 Coyote Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sure is fun to watch! Notice I said "watch"; not sure I'm ambitious enough to try it (well, maybe someday after retirement)

Carry on,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ok, that makes sense. We left the inner liner in so it's probably a lot stiffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    This sure is fun to watch! Notice I said "watch"; not sure I'm ambitious enough to try it (well, maybe someday after retirement)
    Jeff
    C'mon Jeff!
    All you need is a cutoff wheel or sawzall.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like

Carry on,
    Jeff
    King-

I am completely with Jeff on this! I admire you for undertaking the project, and you clearly have the skill set to get it done.

However, there's no way I have the guts to do it myself. But I have mad respect for you and I look forward to seeing the finished product!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Carry on,
    Jeff
    Well... you didn't discourage me when I contacted you so must be thinking of doing the same and I'll bet it will happen before you retire. Sanding, filling, painting the same way on the same bodies must get tiring.

Dallas offered encouragement also.

As they say, "the devil is in the details", so I'm sure I'll find a pitch fork in there somewhere. This was in the plans from the beginning so if I screw up, I'm on the hook for another body and hood plus reworking every thing I put under the fenders that's not accessible from the hood. It seems to work on paper (CAD).
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a few days off from my build to make a few parts for a new father-son builder. The son has messianic cancer although in remission from the use of a new drug. They are building a Coyote engine roadster so I modified an van accelerator pedal and made some PCM mounts to send them. The parts will help to speed along the build.

I have cut the body! I used a ceramic/fiberglass jig saw blade and it cut very nicely leaving a 1/8" gap. The cut line will need some sanding to remove the little wiggles in it but I'll have to wait until the parts are separated. I cut it by removing the blocks along the path and reinstalling them after the cut pasted their mounting area. Because the two parts were attached to each other, there wasn't a stress relieving pop at the end of the cut. The mismatch in the picture isn't from stress reliving after the cut but the way the body is supported or lack there of. Adding some additional support brings the two parts back into alignment
    2015-01-27 19.2d.jpg

The next step is to build a ledge around the body for the hood to contact when closed. To do this I needed to turn the body upside down. I carefully measured for blocks to place under the body to support it and cut them from scraps.
    2015-01-31 12.7d.jpg2015-01-31 14.0d.jpg

I'm starting at the center of the cowl and working toward the fenders and keeping it a short section to make sure the methods works as expected. I cut some of the divinycell foam into 1/8" strips to place in the cut to keep the resin out. This picture is with the strips in place in the gap and also shows the strips that were left over. To keep the two sides of the cut in alignment I placed several #4 screws in the cut with washers on both sides to squeeze the parts into alignment.
    2015-01-31 13.0d.jpg 2015-01-31 12.6d.jpg 2015-01-31 14.1d.jpg

I also cut some small foam strips to make a dam with to keep the edges of the glass mat straight. I cut three different widths of the 1.5 oz. mat to taper the thickness of the ledge and applied resin. I haven't taken pictures of the ledge yet but will include them next time.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build