Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
IMG_20140322_174412_202.jpg
Set the mock up engine in to see how it might fit. Engine in photo is a tall deck Desoto Hemi. This sets the heads higher and wider than the 291 I plan to use. I set it on the ford 302 mounts just for establishing the crank centerline relative to the chassis. Looks like it is going to have plenty of room. The 291 will require cutting the top bolt off the F5 ford attachment point to clear the front cylinder header tubes. The tall deck engine might look better with the valve covers hanging over the front tube, but, it weighs considerably more both static and rotating assembly. The little 291 should be a better choice for this cars handling.
I had to cut off that top bolt and part of those gussets on my 3rd gen hemi for header clearance as well. By comparison my 6.1 is wider or longer than that 1st gen in your picture. My heads almost hang out over the frame right at the front corner. That corner of the head is right above the back tab for the upper control arm mounts. You have that engine nice and low but will the tranny let you keep it that low. On mine the tranny resting on the cab floor was the control point IF I wanted to keep the driveline angles at 1-2*
Dale
Hemi33