Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Complete Questions - Seeking input before order?

Post Thanks / Like

MK4 Complete Questions - Seeking input before order?

Hello,

I'm closing in on pulling the trigger, and had a few questions:

I plan to build an old school looking Cobra, so 15 wheels. Solid Axle, Standard Brakes...etc

1. they are running a 50/50 deal on options an wanted to hear if ther are any options that you consider a must! or Strongly recommend. the time is now for me to add what I want...

The tech guy is pushing the Coyote setup, ...??? I'm not familar with new technology and feel more comfortable with oldschool carb engines... but like to keep an open mind...

2. Is are the Coyote setup more difficult to install. Computers...etc??? I have no Idea...

3. Are Coyote Builds More Expensive with all the Computer stuff that it adds...etc???

Thanks,

First in a wave of Questions im sure....

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    You will get a lot of different ideas on what options are a must, I would look at some build threads and decide which ones you want to use. The Coyote has a lot of followers and for a good reason, it works quite well. There are things that you need to do with a Coyote install that only pertain to that engine, they are well documented here on the forum. Jeggs is running a special on the Coyote and engine harness right now that is pretty hard to beat. If I was building a new roadster right now it would have a Coyote engine sitting in the bay.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Michael,

You asked, so here's my list of upgrades:

• IRS
    • Dual Adjustable Koni Shocks
    • Trigo (or Vintage, a forum vendor) wheels
    • Pin-Drive width suspension, for that old school deep dish look
    • Wilwood Brakes
    • I like old school, so I'd do a windsor motor. The Coyote is COOL, but not old school. Plus, It's a BIG motor! I like my footbox space!
    • FFR hood hinge
    • Over-riders and bumper(s). I have the rear hoop, but not the front, by preference.
    • Traction lock diff. I have a Torsen and LOVE it!
    • Power steering. A concession to modernity, yes, but your forearms will thank you.
    • Power brakes? Maybe, depending on the brakes. I'm very happy with my manual wilwoods...
    • Wipers
    • AC? It's an open-top car, I skipped it
    • EFI. Not old school, but many systems have a look very "carb-loke" and no fumes.
    • CATS. I like them for the muted tone.
    • After-market "quiet" side-pipes. Loud pipes are cool, until you do you first long cruise...

There are others, like a trunk box mod, remote reservoirs, FFMetal bits, etc but those aren't FFR upgrades. Admittedly, neither are my side pipes or EFI...

Feel free to ask as many questions about all aspects of your build before you order! I researched for a year before placing my order, and I still ended up with 2 sets of brakes and exhaust, after changing my mind or discovering options after I ordered.

Good luck, and welcome to the madness!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Question #1; At 50% off the 3 link rear suspension is $700...I'd say you can't afford NOT to do it.

The answer to both questions #2 & 3 is yes; in comparison to a Windsor (whether carbed or EEC-IV injected) the Coyote will be more complex and costly.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Go old school! IRS, pin drive wheels, Smiths gauges. And a 427 or 428 FE carbed

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider a heater, and Earl's footbox vents. The 3-link is a good idea. Go with your gut; you can always upgrade/modify later.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't beat the simplicity or power of a carb,d Windsor engine.....nor the price point also!! Go old school with the build and go Windsor carb,d, I just feel these cars look 'wrong' with EFI.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Question #1; At 50% off the 3 link rear suspension is $700...I'd say you can't afford NOT to do it.

The answer to both questions #2 & 3 is yes; in comparison to a Windsor (whether carbed or EEC-IV injected) the Coyote will be more complex and costly.

Jeff
    Coyote engine, control pack and Alternator kit and oil pan can be had for about $9000. I windsor with fuel system, ignition system, Flywheel and front dress and alternator will be all of that.

And the Coyote needs 5 wires , anyone can wire it, 57 PSI fuel pressure with a return system and rock and roll.

FWIW, Summit has three part numbers that include everything you need for a coyote and trans in a roadster, including engine,control pack, trans, clutch pressure plate, bell housing, spacer plate, alternator kit, dressup kit,speed dial, Clutch bolts, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, air filter. elbows and mass air meter adapter. . Three part number and done.

I love my buddy Jeff and have utmost respect for him, but have to disagree on this one.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Feedback!

Yea the Complete kit comes with the 3 link.

I'm proubably going to end up old school, I like the reliability / Performance / Gas Mileage I'm sure the Coyote brings, but I love the rumbling of a thumping cam at a red light and the General Grrrr Factor these New engines do nt have until you open them up!

I'm just building this as a toy to play on weekends, I have a newer Z06 with the LS7 with all the creature comforts if I want technology.

the Z06 sounds like **** at idle but OH Brother when you open that car up...

So one old school muscle car and one with all the technology.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most Important is build it how you want it.

I love the newer motors, 4.6's and the Coyote, Others love pushrod windsor motors, another contingent loves FE big blocks,. There is nothing "wrong" with any of these.

Make it yours, build it how you want, that is the most important.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mslone View Post
    1. they are running a 50/50 deal on options an wanted to hear if ther are any options that you consider a must! or Strongly recommend. the time is now for me to add what I want...
    You don't have to worry about getting all of the options in at the time of ordering. You can add things like a heater after you place the order (but not after they're ready to ship...I'm not sure what the cutoff is) and still get the 50/50 deal.
    Build Blog
    #8203, carbed 427W (611 hp), TKO 600, IRS
    Delivered: May 27, 2014
    Mechanically "Complete": October 1, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the Coyote and there are some mods to regain lost foot box space. You get a production engine with 400+ HP and a warranty. Some say the price is a wash when comparing to the custom engines. The Coyote has been well documented on the forums so there is lots of info for any problem you might come across. The forums are great for any problem no matter how small and will guide you through your construction where the build manual may be lacking. My options included the Wilwood brake upgrade, vintage wheels, and IRS. My other options were personal preference like leather seats, floor matts, wind wings, bumpers, etc.

I'm putting in the AC (I live in Texas) for the top I'll add later.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    I love my buddy Jeff and have utmost respect for him, but have to disagree on this one.
    The feeling is mutual Ron Yeah, we disagree on this one. I see only one thing to do...discuss it while enjoying some adult beverages in a few weeks. If we have to enjoy said beverages all weekend long to come to an agreement (or not) so be it

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I will have beers with you all weekend, whether you realize I am right is not important!
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    I will have beers with you all weekend, whether you realize I am right is not important!
    Ditto!

Jeff

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you want old school then go with the Windsor, with Quick fuel carb. If you want EFI go with the Pro products system that Wayne Pressly sells. Looks like a Demon carb and VERY simple to install.
    For quiet smooth power go coyote.

Me personally LIke the old school rumpy rump.
    AS far as options you have to make a list of what they offer then check out the photos on the forum and open your wallet. Foot box vents are a must even if not offered by FFR.
    Power steering I dont feel is necessary unless your doing alot of back parking. Power brakes I feel are great.

You will get many comments and opinions, so its your car do what you want.
    Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a build plan? It helped me coordinate and chronical my thoughts.

My Objective: Vintage-look, performance (street-legal) race-car, built for street use. Well-engineered, safe, fun-to-drive, and reliable. Reasonably comfortable for short cruises, but could be driven for longer periods. Moderate build cost with choice of build parts and ability to upgrade others later. Looking for what I consider to be the Best: value, quality, and engineered Kit available.

Here's my build plan, it's served me well, and you are more than welcome to use and modify it for YOUR build.
    MPTech Build Plan

personally, the Mod / Coyote motors are very cool and I do like them, but not in a Cobra Roadster. If I had my choice and budget was not an issue, I'd build a 351 based 427 with EFI Stacks!
    I compromised for my build, but it's still a blast. Rebuilt 302 with EFI and some reasonable go-fast goodies. Will still scare the bejezus out of you! Ask my 24 year old son! or my wife
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just do it!