Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: San Diego builds, One the easy way, one the hard way

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    FFR had my frame stamped with its serial number, but the paper work did not EXACTLY match. It had one extra 0.
    When I bought my Z used, the VIN had an error (a '7' on the car was recorded as a 'T' on the previous owner's registration and title). The original dealer must have made the mistake; I transferred ownership fine with the error, but my insurance company caught the mistake since the VIN wasn't valid. That was fun to fix with the DMV.

For anyone in San Diego, the place to go for Brake and Light Inspection is WAY down south off the 905. When you can see Mexico from the shop, you are in the right place. Dig this ==> Do ALL of your lights work? Do brakes, and e-brake, work with decent pad life left? Yes?, then you pass. ~$60, 10 minutes. That place rocked!

BAR was also very easy. Free, ~30 minutes, lots of pictures, quick PCV inspection, VIN inspection, and then entering stuff into the computer.
    Awesome... Thanks for the info... makes me optimistic!

No inspection even looked, or asked about, my cool windshield wiper install! BOO.
    Great... That means I won't bother!

I need a roof. But not a full soft top, and defiantly not a hard top. Just something to keep the sun off of me and the seats when I'm not in the car.
    Exactly, I want to make a jeep-style bikini top tensioned between the windshield and roll-bar. My wife has a drop-top; the temp/humidity are never so high that we need AC here, but the sun can be brutal at mid-day.

P.S. my 818 was the first to be delivered in S.D. county, but you kicked my butt on the build schedule... congrats on the first registered S.D. 818!
    Last edited by wleehendrick; 08-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S. my 818 was the first to be delivered in S.D. county, but you kicked my butt on the build schedule... congrats on the first registered S.D. 818!
    Thanks! It was/is a lot of work, and I kind of pushed myself to get it to 95%. I'll take my time on the last 5%

The rear end has a new look!
    IMG_0610.JPG

And a couple of the engine bay before I put in the trunk.
    IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0606.JPG

I can only afford to buy $.99 drinks at McD's after building this car. Have to have some place to hold them. Actually worked out to be a good spot to put a drink holder.
    IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I like the drop light.... been looking for one that stays put where you lay it and can be aimed instead of always wanting to shine directly into your face regardless of where you position it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All inspections are complete! All went smoothly for the most part.
    The ONE BIG HICUP...
    FFR had my frame stamped with its serial number, but the paper work did not EXACTLY match. It had one extra 0.
    My bosses, 'the hard way', is the same way. The CHP caught it, only after I got my sequence number certificate that was created with a different number. This caused a lot of confusion and frustration. But it is finally done!

For anyone in San Diego, the place to go for Brake and Light Inspection is WAY down south off the 905. When you can see Mexico from the shop, you are in the right place. Dig this ==> Do ALL of your lights work? Do brakes, and e-brake, work with decent pad life left? Yes?, then you pass. ~$60, 10 minutes. That place rocked!

BAR was also very easy. Free, ~30 minutes, lots of pictures, quick PCV inspection, VIN inspection, and then entering stuff into the computer.

No inspection even looked, or asked about, my cool windshield wiper install! BOO.
    That's awesome Matt. What a great find on the B&L inspection. So the Bar didn't even send to Sacramento? You hit it right, congrats on knocking that out. There are quite a few of these on the road in CA now. If you ever head up to OC with your 818, let's take them on a PCH cruise. Or, if you are feeling more adventurous AutoX at the El toro Marine base. PM me

Post Thanks / Like
    Brando is back!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    That's awesome Matt. What a great find on the B&L inspection. So the Bar didn't even send to Sacramento? You hit it right, congrats on knocking that out. There are quite a few of these on the road in CA now. If you ever head up to OC with your 818, let's take them on a PCH cruise. Or, if you are feeling more adventurous AutoX at the El toro Marine base. PM me
    Yes, we should do a SoCal 818 cruise. I've always wanted to do the Angeles Crest Highway or Little Tujunga Canyon Rd https://youtu.be/L9zndCFXdgo?t=1m51s

How has your car been?! Using it?

Post Thanks / Like
    So down to do that eventually. We will have all 818 models available

Post Thanks / Like

More building and more TESTING.

I just didn't feel safe driving around in with my shoulder belt on. I thought it would be fine with factory belts, but the car is too fast and too small. It took me about 8 hours to install the 5-point harnesses.

I had to remove interior and exterior rear fire walls, seats and old belts. I then welded tabs in for the front points, and reused the two lower lap points. I welded in threaded inserts that penetrate both sides of the square tube near your shoulders. After that there was a lot of installing, removing, and changing the length of the belts to get the lengths just right.
    IMG_0748.JPG
    Now on to testing. I live near some of the best twisty roads in San Diego County, and this is the first time taking the 818 out on them. Whats more impressive than the power to weight ratio, is the handling. I am by no means an expert driver or really know my suspension stuff, but wow this thing is a blast on twisty roads. Not too hard to hang with the sport bikes.
    IMG_0747.JPG IMG_0743sm.jpg

Then I took the dog out for a quick night time cruise.
    IMG_0756.JPG

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. I like that steering wheel. Why did you have to remove the outer rear firewall?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Looking good. I like that steering wheel. Why did you have to remove the outer rear firewall?
    Thanks. I removed the outer rear firewall because I had to cut out areas to clear the welded in bosses for the seat belt anchors. And had to move the mounts for the fuel filter that was displaced by the new seat belt tabs. I did reinstall all of the sheetmetal after I was done. I was trying to show how much work it is to add some thing that you would think is a quick easy job.

I think the steering wheel is this one: 015TRGL1TUV

Post Thanks / Like
    Drove up the 101 from San Diego to Oceanside.

This picture is for you wleehendrick,
    IMG_0801.JPG

It was a perfect day,

oceanside.jpg pier818.jpg

I like this picture, it shows the usually invisible flat black XXR wheels,
    xxr wheel.jpg

Testing out new rear calipers. I went from WRX two pot, to Willwood 120-9750 (1.58sqin) calipers with matching rotors, then to 120-9749 (2.46sqin) calipers. They seem much more balanced now. I'm a little perplexed on how the stock EBD system is working on my car. Will the rear brakes ever lock up with EBD/ABS system functioning? Will I feel it like I can when the ABS activates?
    calipers.jpg IMG_0786.JPG

I'm taking the car apart as soon as the weather turns cold. On the to-do list:
    Wire up ABS defeat switch
    Install Racelogic Traction Control
    Realign Door Hinges
    Fix body gaps
    Install Trunk
    tune engine (learn how to do this first, all COBB stuff)
    fix front tire rub on full bump
    cut out rear upper engine cover vents
    Wrap rear humps with carbon vinyl
    Finish installing carpet kit
    Install accusump, and oil temperature/pressure senders
    Install higher spring rate rear springs
    Make bimini/targa top before next summer
    Finish building Hot Rod STI motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Even though your in Ramona, it's not going to get that cold during the day.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Those are some big rear brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Looking good!
    Even though your in Ramona, it's not going to get that cold during the day.
    Hey! We get down to freezing a couple mornings a year, and El Nino is suppose to hit this year. And THANKS!

Looks great. Those are some big rear brakes.
    Thanks for noticing.
    Yes, many would say that they are completely unnecessary. But I love the look, weight, and the stopping characteristics (pedal feel, modulation, & balance) have been getting better.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Car looks great, I like your fire extinguisher tucked under the console.

I like you approach at upping the rear caliper surface area rather than dialing down the fronts... do you still have your valve on the front?

I will look and see if wildwood has a higher surface area caliper for the .81 rotor.

You could add a sternum strap to that harness for your son, it will help prevent the belts from moving.

prp-sb5_3x2_harness-1.jpg
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 10-01-2015 at 06:33 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    What spring rate do you suppose best for rear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Car looks great, I like your fire extinguisher tucked under the console.

I like you approach at upping the rear caliper surface area rather than dialing down the fronts... do you still have your valve on the front?

I will look and see if wildwood has a higher surface area caliper for the .81 rotor.

You could add a sternum strap to that harness for your son, it will help prevent the belts from moving.

prp-sb5_3x2_harness-1.jpg
    Thanks!
    I still have two valves on the front brakes, and they are still about 80% choked. The areas that I'm listing are the piston areas. The Wilwood Dynapro caliper comes in three different piston areas, 1.58, 2.46, and 4.80sqin. My front Brembos are ~4.51sqin. Do I try the 4.80 calipers?

Thanks, I'll look into the sternum straps, it makes sense. He loves the challenge of getting buckled up now.

What spring rate do you suppose best for rear?
    My stock rear FFR springs are almost at maximum preload. Others on this forum have been installing everything from 450 to 550. I'm going to go with some where in that range. Since I don't have a rear wing, I'm leaning towards the 450 spring rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=matteo92065;213466] Thanks!
    I still have two valves on the front brakes, and they are still about 80% choked. The areas that I'm listing are the piston areas. The Wilwood Dynapro caliper comes in three different piston areas, 1.58, 2.46, and 4.80sqin. My front Brembos are ~4.51sqin. Do I try the 4.80 calipers?

[QUOTE]

Matt,
    I'm running cast iron stock front calipers (4.460sqin) on all 4 wheels with no prop valve.
    I am almost balanced. My rears lock up just before my fronts. I'm going to add a Prop valve to the rears this winter.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-01-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running cast iron stock front calipers (4.460sqin) on all 4 wheels with no prop valve.
    I am almost balanced. My rears lock up just before my fronts. I'm going to add a Prop valve to the rears this winter.
    Bob
    I've been closely watching your build, very nice.
    It looks like the front and rear systems should be very close to each other. LOL, I'm taking the long, slow, expensive way to get to your point.

I do NOT want to do any replumbing of brake lines, or change front brakes.
    I'm afraid of the tip over point. That is, if I get to a point that the rears lock up first, and the valves are completely open, then I would have to take a step back somewhere.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The areas that I'm listing are the piston areas. The Wilwood Dynapro caliper comes in three different piston areas, 1.58, 2.46, and 4.80sqin.
    I got that. The rear kit I am using uses a .81" rotor and a lug mounted 120-9706 caliper with 1.58" piston area. I don't know if a larger ones is available in that config.

what kit did you start with?

edit found them:
    120-9706 1.58"
    120-9703 3.0"
    120-9693 4.8"
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 10-02-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    any new updates? i love following your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updates...?
    I've had the car apart for the last 3 weeks.
    I'm 95% done on the dashboard. All switches in and wired, Racelogic controller is built into the console, All the sheet metal is either wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl or anodized black.
    I have the ABS on a defeat switch, the fans on switches so I can turn them on when I want, and the ECU can turn them on still. Switches for interior lighting. USB ports, phone holder, COBB mount.

I put in some more support on my front splitter because of that one thread that said they could break at high speeds.

My rear calipers are just kissing the rotor. The Wilwood rear brake kit is a bit clunky. There is a caliper and an adapter that you bolt to your stock backing plate after you modify it. The kit comes with two sets of shims that are used to center the caliper in-and-out and up-and-down. The brake pad covers the disk completely, so you must get the caliper JUST right in order for it not to rub and still have the pad have as much contact as possible. All of the holes are a little sloppy, and not much room between rotor and caliper..

The headlights still suck. Next time I have my fenders off, I will probably install Spyder projector headlights.

I ordered a 1 1/4" hitch receiver tube that I'll be installing (maybe). I've gotten back into mountain biking and the car would look so good with a bike rack. That will also double as my rear tow point. I'm also installing a front tow point. I want to be able to pull it onto a trailer if I have problems (broken axles/transmission type stuff).

Slowly working on body alignments and gaps. I really don't want to paint it. Oh, body... I made some hood pins and plates that I'm really happy with now. The pins are hollow stainless steel with internal threads (think really light), and the plates are fancy machined aluminum then black anodized. I hated the thin chrome pieces that came with the kit.
    I'm also in middle of installing fender turn signals from a 3 series BMW, and rear red led side lights from an F-350 DRW. There are currently no rear side red lights or reflectors, and from a (street) safety point of view, they are needed.

I need to get pictures...
    Maybe this weekend.

From this week:

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update. Which wire did you use on the abs to kill it? I completely agree about safety, I wanted to add some side lights also. Can't wait to see your lights turn out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Drove up the 101 from San Diego to Oceanside.

This picture is for you wleehendrick,
    IMG_0801.JPG
    Damn... You're second 818 to cruise through Encinitas (Erik's EVWest electric was the first)! I live here and mine's still in the garage.

Whenever anybody asks how my build is going, I just tell them "If you want to finish a car project, don't buy a house!" Oh well, we're almost done with renovations and my time/energy will be back in the garage soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Thanks for the update. Which wire did you use on the abs to kill it? I completely agree about safety, I wanted to add some side lights also. Can't wait to see your lights turn out.
    I interrupted the LR #18 wire on B301. See FSM Page WI-87, ABS-01.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear Fender Clearance

I was changing my rear springs out this weekend and I got distracted by the rear inner fender clearance.

Has everyone/anyone cycled the rear suspension with all of the sheet metal installed?
    IMG_0886.JPG
    IMG_0884.JPG

I did this weekend. It hit badly. I assumed Factory Five would have designed this to fit at full bump, so I never checked, I just installed per the manual. There is no way to get the provided metal into the fender, at full bump, without major cutting. The main fender sheet metal is about 10" wide. It needed to be cut to ~8.375" at the top of the arc, and a 1" notch for the cross brace. By the time you cut down the sheet metal and tuck it up to the height it needs to be, it will be about 2" higher than was designed. The lower mounts needed to be extended after cutting them off.
    IMG_0892.JPG
    After modifications and 3 more hours of work, the rear tires no longer touch anything at full droop and compression. As a side benefit of all the work, the inner fenders can now be removed and installed in seconds with one tool. It makes access to working on stuff so much better.
    IMG_0890.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    What springs are you running out back? IMO if your going that high your in need of stiffer springs.
    Adam _____ Instagram @PopesProjects____ YouTube Channel
    818 SRX - #91
    Arrived 01/02/2014
    First Start 10/31/2016
    First Drive 05/22/2017
    Registered 10/25/2019 BRAP818

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed 450 springs. The stock ones needed the collars almost all the way up to get to ride height. On big bumps the car would make an awful noise. The tires were hitting the sheet metal. I think a car should be able to use all of its travel. It's raining now, so I can't drive it. Boo

Post Thanks / Like
    450 in the front or back? I feel you about the travel I'm gonna get new springs soon or get the r shock upgrade and get new springs.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just installed 450 springs. The stock ones needed the collars almost all the way up to get to ride height. On big bumps the car would make an awful noise. The tires were hitting the sheet metal. I think a car should be able to use all of its travel. It's raining now, so I can't drive it. Boo
    Matteo,
    Thanks for the heads up on rubbing fender wells. I about to install them.
    To avoid rubbing with my 255s, I'm running 5" RH with no one in the car. It drops down to 4.5" when the 2 of us are in the car.

To put my shock in the middle of it's travel I extended the top rod end 1". This has the additional effect of lowering my bump stop 1".

I'm running 600 in the back. This is working good for autocross. On the street this is pretty jarring with potholes. I intend to drop down to 450-500. I think you mad a good choice.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 11-03-2015 at 10:12 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Matteo,
    To avoid rubbing with my 255s, I'm running 5" RH with no one in the car. I drop down to 4.5" when the 2 of us are in the car.

To put my shock in the middle of it's travel I extended the top rod end 1".

I'm running 600 in the back. This is working good for autocross. On the street this is pretty jarring with potholes. I intend to drop down to 450-500.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Matteo,
    To avoid rubbing with my 255s, I'm running 5" RH with no one in the car. It drops down to 4.5" when the 2 of us are in the car.

To put my shock in the middle of it's travel I extended the top rod end 1". This has the additional effect of lowering my bump stop 1".

I'm running 600 in the back. This is working good for autocross. On the street this is pretty jarring with potholes. I intend to drop down to 450-500. I think you mad a good choice.
    Thanks again,
    Bob
    Thats funny! I didn't have to make the choice. I was following what you and others (I forget some of the names) are finding out and experimenting with. I just thought they were a little soft. And I always thought it was odd how the FFR manual says to put the lighter springs in the rear. But it is because of your comments I selected 450. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    The new springs and raised inner fenders were just the ticket to a quieter and more enjoyable drive. I can hit regular sized road imperfections and dips without cringing. The car feels only a little tighter/stiffer.
    Followed a Cobra type car on the way to work. Is he on this forum?
    IMG_0899.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    How wide are your XXR's in the back? That looks tight. No rub on the fender itself though?
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize your license plate wa recessed from the rear view photos. That mesh insert is genius.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    How wide are your XXR's in the back? That looks tight. No rub on the fender itself though?
    The rear tires are: 235 40 R18. No rubbing with the bump-stop rubber compressed by quite a bit. I want to go a little wider next time, but as you can see, it's really tight up there. When I took that picture of the tire inside the wheel-well, I was surprised to see how well the tire was centered between the frame and fiberglass. The good thing, is that the frame and fiberglass both aggressively taper out as the tire goes down. If and when I go to 255 tires, I'll probably have to extend my bump-stops by ~.75".

I didn't realize your license plate was recessed from the rear view photos. That mesh insert is genius.
    Thanks!. The licence plate frame is supposed to be an additional vent too. The entire thing is using the same ffr mesh, and the license plate is .375" off of the mesh, so air can go around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant how wide are your wheels - not the tires. 18x?
    Tamra
    Building 818SR #297 picked up 10/25/14 with Andrew (xxguitarist)
    First start 12/21/14, First "drive" 1/17/15
    First Dyno at EFI Logics 3/7/15- 310whp at 15psi for break in, full spool by ~3500rpm!
    First autocross 3/29/15
    1st Registered 818 in Connecticut 7/24/2015. 9 months - 1 day from kit pickup!

Post Thanks / Like
    oh, oops,
    Rears are XXR 530 18x8.75 ET33 (I have 20mm spacer)
    Fronts are XXR 530 17x8.25 ET35

The rear tires look a little narrow for the rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you think the ET20 rims would be better? 18x 8.75 ET20? then you would only need a smaller 5mm spacer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    do you think the ET20 rims would be better? 18x 8.75 ET20? then you would only need a smaller 5mm spacer
    Yea, I could have gone that route. Its working out this way too.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast