FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Resurrection of the FE motor in the $obra.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrection of the FE motor in the $obra.

While all the rage is the 289 FIA, I doubt anybody will be putting a big block in one. Having said this.. I feel it is the time that the FE motor should be the motor of choice for the 427 Roadster. Of course the 351 will be the majority player.. but with all the FE stuff out there now... don't hold back if you are thinking about a BB FE.
    Yes, like most I put a small block in my first build, now in the planning stages of my second build, I have purchased a 390 based 445 FE motor for my next ride. Its just the right thing to do as is the 289/302 in the FIA car.
    Of course the above statements is just a humble opinion.

So...I am just starting all my research once again.. and dang it is fun.
    Some issues that I hope can be addressed and I don't know what all they are, but just stuff I hear. Header fit, motor mounts could be better.

Looking forward to the game once again.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins
    Certified "Kool Aid" drinker

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's awesome that you are getting back in the game Al! I remember your "goodbye" thread when you let yours go. So since you're going "old school" are 15" pin-drive wheels part of the plan?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, gotta study up on those too... I feel like a freshman in high school
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Just last night I read an article on a new line of big block aluminum heads coming out from AFR.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ylinder_heads/

Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much figured out what you were up to a while back Glad to see you making it official my friend!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff. I know I have been hot and cold... just the planets have to line up sometimes.
    Here is a sneek peek... waiting to get this stud dressed up

Last edited by Raceral; 07-09-2014 at 07:27 PM.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree....sometimes you have to make yourself feel 14 again!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking heads the new AFR's are... but they are for the 460 not the FE.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Not my cup of tea but there is nothing wrong w/ doing an FE. They are heavier but you would need to be in the top tier of drivers to be able to notice it's effect on handling. Bump the front springs to about 600 to 650 and go for it. So this is the start of your build thread right?
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in complete agreement. Just sold my first Mark 4 with a 302. Once we get moved to Indiana later this year then I will order the next one and it will be FE all the way. Probably won't be a real live 427 but a 390 will serve nicely. My engine builder is already on the lookout for a complete engine as I want to retain all things such as V-belts. No chrome, no polishing, no bling.
    One FFR and one VFR. I like symmetry

Post Thanks / Like
    Not my official build thread... Yea.. the FE ain't for everybody for sure... I would suspect only about 10 percent or less drive their cars to the limit. On my first car and I loved that car.... every where I went.. Hey man,,, has it got a big block... well, it will next time
    Paul... this motor is a 390 with the 445 stroker... I found it down in GA. a couple of weeks ago , I hope its a good bullet. I will post pictures after I get it all dressed up.
    Looks kinda like a station wagon motor today...
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,
    FYI, I'm only partially done with my Mark IV but I'm a few weeks away from dropping in my FE for a fit and clearance check. It's set up with 2-4's , Toploader 4-speed, hydraulic clutch, replica remote oil filter and replica radiator expansion tank. I may replace the stud with a thru bolt on the rubber engine mounts/FFR brackets. I will also be working out a mechanical throttle linkage. This check should also allow me to determine any rear transmission mount mods necessary as well as determine the driveshaft length to fit up to the 3:31 IRS. I'm also going to make sure of heater hose routing and determine a final location of my Girling style master cylinders. I also want to see how the headers fit in relation to the body just in case they might present a problem with sidepipe/ body cutout clearance. This will require a trial drop of the body on the chassis.

I'll try to post whatever issues I encounter

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to see what all you have done.
    Thanks,
    Al Adkins

Post Thanks / Like

Progress

I DID get the motor and trans in the chassis for a fit check, as I expected. The images show both installed along with the issues that I need to resolve (most of them expected). I shimmed the engine/trans to be level with the chassis tubes. The Toploader needs an additional plate and spacer added to accommodate the location of the transmission mounting flange, the driveshaft needs a slight shortening, the Hurst shifter requires a completely different hole in the aluminum tunnel cover and my hydraulic clutch slave cylinder needs a different bracket to locate it properly, especially with the Quicktime bell housing.. I'll be connecting a Forte mechanical throttle linkage next. All the clearances are close enough that I'm going to adapt some poly engine mounts to limit movement. I'll also trail fit the body to check for hood clearances with the expansion tank, air cleaners and exhaust.
    IMG_1254.JPGIMG_1259.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Additional pictures too big to send in previous postIMG_1252.jpgIMG_1256.jpgIMG_1261.jpgIMG_1262.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking FE! Dressed up just right. Fills up the space fast doesn't it..
    FFR 3749 MkII, 428PI, TKO-600, IRS, Pin-Drive, Tri-States body, Under Car Exhaust
    Rod's BB Street Cobra Build

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember how rare the big block Fords were when I was a young hot rodder. I hadn't even seen a real 427 FE except in a magazine or on the show room floor if the dealership had one. There were three reasons hot rodders didn't have them: they were expensive, they were expensive, and they were expensive. One guy in our car club finally latched onto one and that was only one out of about 40 members. Shelby American even had trouble getting them. So it's a great opportunity to recreate this iconic engine. You can't beat the look or the sound.

Three years ago I did see one in a C**** continuation version and talked with the builder at BJ. It was balanced perfectly and sounded amazing. The closest thing I've seen to that in our group out in the Phx area is a 390 FE that has been modified. That's a very nice alternative. Looking forward to seeing what you do on your project.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the body attached which confirms that the hood fits without the scoop, that I have a place for my Girling replica brake and clutch reservoirs, that I need to align the engine in the chassis better and ensure that the side pipes will clear the notches in the fenders and also ensure that no wiring or plumbing gets close to exhaust heat and/or possible pinch points around the close fitting engine...and I can finalize my mechanical throttle linkage. Before removing the body I also plan to run the suspension through full bump and droop and possibly make a tire profile template to check for tire and wheel clearances as well (don't have my pin drive wheels and 15"tires yet)

IMG_1329.JPGIMG_1333.JPGIMG_1334.JPGIMG_1339.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. I am wondering about hood clearance on mine. If mine sits like yours I should be fine. I have a FE but with Edlebrock Performer intake and single carb. What oil pan do you have and how much clearance from the bottom of the 4" frame tubes do you have?
    Rod
    FFR 3749 MkII, 428PI, TKO-600, IRS, Pin-Drive, Tri-States body, Under Car Exhaust
    Rod's BB Street Cobra Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great! Do you have any larger pictures for use "visually impaired" / old guys?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Canton oil pan and it is almost even with the bottom of the frame tubes now.

My intake manifold, however, is an original Ford for the two four barrel carbs, so it is probably a bit lower than after market models but I'm not sure of this.