Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cobra Has Landed!

Post Thanks / Like

Cobra Has Landed!

Stewart Truck showed up Yesterday! Christmas in July!

Everything looks good, Now I need to get it inventoried this weekend! and start the Madness...

Any inventory tips are appreciated!

Here are some pics:

IMG_3510.JPGIMG_3509.JPGIMG_3515.JPGIMG_3516.JPGIMG_3523.JPGIMG_3525.JPGIMG_3527.JPGIMG_3550.JPGIMG_3552.JPG

Cheers!

Build Thread to Come...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Nice work space setup, too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations! It's a GREAT feeling seeing your Cobra in it's new den. I still remember staring at mine before turning off the lights that first day...

Can I see more pics of that chassis dollie? I don't see any lateral support. How will you get the chassis off of it?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations -

You asked for inventory tips, so here are two I can think of: 1) Check every box and bag - touch all of the parts and try to identify them. That will help you understand just what you have and what you may want to upgrade, modify, or replace. 2) Don't sweat the backorders. Just make sure that the list of BO parts matches your inventory and if it doesn't, then notify FFR immediately.

Have fun and get working!!!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Congratulations! It's a GREAT feeling seeing your Cobra in it's new den. I still remember staring at mine before turning off the lights that first day...

Can I see more pics of that chassis dollie? I don't see any lateral support. How will you get the chassis off of it?
    Dave,

Here is the Dolly: I wanted to work at standing level, I modified another guys dolly design. So far it works great moving the car around! really handy to be able to spin... and roll away when not wrenching!

Chassis Dolly.jpgIMG_3326.JPGIMG_3323.JPGIMG_3324.JPGIMG_3325.JPGIMG_3548.JPG

And to get car off the Dolly I have a 1300lbs Hoist in the Garage, Its what I used to lift Frame and Body onto the Dolly, and what I plan lower it and install engine, rearend..etc. It held frame and body without any problem.
    photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPG
    Last edited by Mslone; 07-14-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mslone View Post
    Any inventory tips are appreciated!
    Congrats!

After having built a few I can't stress enough how important and helpful it is to do a complete inventory which should only take a few hours. I got into one a couple of years ago that had been begun by someone else. What arrived was a partially assembled roadster and a stack of boxes containing a hodgepodge of parts in no particular order with no inventory. I gotta' tell you that it was an exercise in frustration trying to find everything.

Here's what works well for me; before beginning make a copy of each packing list sheet, grab some clear plastic protectors, tape and a Sharpie. Select a box along with it's corresponding sheet and go line by line identifying every part number and quantities checking each line off as you go. If something is missing that FFR hasn't shown as a backorder make note of it. After completing a box tape put a copy of it's packing sheet into one of the sheet protectors and tape it to the top. Put the other copy of the packing sheet aside. On the end of the box where it will be visible when you have it stored on shelves or whatever write the box number and what major items it contains (such as "Box 2---front suspension components" or "Box 7---lighting" etc.). Once I've been through them all I put the copies of the packing sheets on a clipboard that hangs on the shelves with the boxes. When you get searching for something and can't find it based on your quick notes on the end of the box you can scan over your "master list" to find the correct one.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck. When your ready for a Powerplant / tranny
    look us up www.fordcobraengines.com
    Whats the car setup for - Small block Ford or Coyote?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine Factory View Post
    Good Luck. When your ready for a Powerplant / tranny
    look us up www.fordcobraengines.com
    Whats the car setup for - Small block Ford or Coyote?
    351W. Probably go with a 408 430HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Congrats!

After having built a few I can't stress enough how important and helpful it is to do a complete inventory which should only take a few hours. I got into one a couple of years ago that had been begun by someone else. What arrived was a partially assembled roadster and a stack of boxes containing a hodgepodge of parts in no particular order with no inventory. I gotta' tell you that it was an exercise in frustration trying to find everything.

Here's what works well for me; before beginning make a copy of each packing list sheet, grab some clear plastic protectors, tape and a Sharpie. Select a box along with it's corresponding sheet and go line by line identifying every part number and quantities checking each line off as you go. If something is missing that FFR hasn't shown as a backorder make note of it. After completing a box tape put a copy of it's packing sheet into one of the sheet protectors and tape it to the top. Put the other copy of the packing sheet aside. On the end of the box where it will be visible when you have it stored on shelves or whatever write the box number and what major items it contains (such as "Box 2---front suspension components" or "Box 7---lighting" etc.). Once I've been through them all I put the copies of the packing sheets on a clipboard that hangs on the shelves with the boxes. When you get searching for something and can't find it based on your quick notes on the end of the box you can scan over your "master list" to find the correct one.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    Jeff, great tips! Thanks, I'll use that process this weekend when I inventory everything!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also resist the temptation to consolidate boxes as you install parts. If you can make two boxes into one and move Jeff's inventory sheet so there are now two sheets on one box, that would be fine. Knowing you saw something a month ago but not being able to find it really gets on your nerves. Good luck.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    wish I had read this thread a month ago! I consolidated and unpacked to shelves without keeping items together. Now I am frequently referring to the packing sheets and searching out items. It's to the point that I am seriously considering taking it all off the shelf and organizing it properly. What doesn't help me is that the steps in the manual will only use some of the parts and then a later step comes in and uses the rest. Early on I kept thinking "why do I have leftover parts?" Some of them are for donor packages that a complete kit will never use as well.

Ditto on backordered parts. They have been shipped pretty quickly. The only thing that holds me up is the clutch quadrant, but you can work around most of the items until they arrive.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mike! Now the fun begins!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

Looks great! Congratulations on getting the kit delivered.

Ditto on the inventory suggestions. In some cases I actually took photos to make sure I could later correlate a part to a part number.

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Inventory is done! Great tips everyone! Worked great!

I was missing like 10 items, nothing too big, some random small stuff that the inventory box list was checked off but was not in the box? Is that fairly common? I assume FF will not give me any problem sending the missing pieces!

Thanks again for the tips!

Now the build begins...