FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Securing a square cable in a round hole?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Securing a square cable in a round hole?

I've finally finished my engine-turning jig and tried it out for the first time yesterday.

For a first panel, it came out quite good! I didn't clamp the work to the table and it shifted during the process so there are alignment issues but overall I like the results, which you can see in the pic below.

My biggest hiccup happened when the cable that I had glued to the end of the motor shaft with JB Weld gave way. Is there a stronger compound out there? What can I do to make the bond stronger? Will just sanding the end of the shaft make the adhesion that much better? should I cut striations into the end of the shaft with a grinder?

Here's the issue:

The cable is "clamped" to the front of the motor so that's not the issue. The issue is how to glue the cable into that little round hole so that it won't break loose as the motor turns.

Any tips you can give are greatly appreciated!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    PS here's what the test panel looks like. I placed it in position as if it were the firewall. The idea is to get it straighter and more consistent before trying to do any actual panels...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    I was wondering Saturday as I was looking over the 33 when you were going to post some more information on this project. Nice use of Oak to make fixture. How much torque is there trying to turn the square shaft in the round hole? It seems to me that it will be difficult to keep the two pieces together as one, not knowing all of the pieces you are using, is it possible to drill and tap the shaft with the round hole and use two set screws? I would like to know the whole parts list needed to get started in engine turning.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Doug,

A set screw sounds like a reasonable plan. Actually, now that you have me thinking about it, a set screw with an allen head sounds just about right. I assume it wouldn't throw the motor balance off?

re: the tools needed, I have all new parts in this jig and it's more expensive than I planned, by far! The motor alone lists for $800! (I got it for $450).

Would you be willing to let me turn your parts for you after I get the quality up?

Post Thanks / Like
    Letting you do the work would be something I would be interested in. Use two small socket allen set screw (probably 8/32 x 3/16") to keep everything in balance.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on the set screws Dave.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guess who broke off a tap in not one, but TWO holes?!?!?!

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fudge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I spoke with the guy I bought the motor from. I guess I'm going to cut off the top 1/3" of the motor shaft and try again...

One step forward, two steps back!

Post Thanks / Like
    What size hole are you drilling for the tap?
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    the tap is a 6-32 and I was using a #5 for the hole. they came as a set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you mean a #35 drill? Get a #32 (a little larger) and you will get 50% thread which will be easier to tap. Since you are trying to capture the square shaft the reduction in thread % will not cause a problem.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Success!

Unfortunately my DSLR was set to raw mode so I have to convert some images before posting them.

I ended up cutting about 3/8" off the shaft. I marked the center of the shaft with a sharpie while the motor was turning and drilled a new center hole, then drilled and tapped a hole from the side for the 6-32 X 3/8" set screw(Doug, I ended up using a #36 bit) . This time the operation was a success and the solution is a lot stronger than it was before.

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great news! Let me know when you are ready to start paying off the equipment.
    Doug