BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 818 - New Shifter Linkage assembly in manual Revision 1o

Post Thanks / Like

818 - New Shifter Linkage assembly in manual Revision 1o

This may turn into a "WTB" thread, but the base point is more a discussion, so I kept it out of that section.

I was flipping through the new manual and low and behold, Factory Five appears to have quietly replaced the ill-fitting original shift linkage assembly.

If you received the email update, check out page 73 for what I'm talking about. Essentially, instead of the old piece with the 2 ears that stuck backwards and hit the bumper, there it is now a pre-drilled cube to slide over the shift linkage with a bar that drops straight down. Much better based on the pictures.

Anybody buy a recent version of the kit that has seen this in person? I called Factory Five, but they wanted $37.50 plus shipping and weren't sure if they had any in stock. (parts guy tried to tell me this part has never changed, so I'm a little confused)

Now the "WTB" portion - anybody have this and not planning to use it? I'd take it off your hands for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will break out the grinder and the welder this weekend to try to re-orient the original one so I can start mounting up the body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note it appears they are also now bending the top ear of the large bracket that mounts to the transmission to better line it up with the shifter arm. I may break out the torch and big wrench this weekend for that as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    Otherwise, I will break out the grinder and the welder this weekend to try to re-orient the original one so I can start mounting up the body.
    Wish I got that with my kit. Here's how i fixed mine:
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Technically that part has never changed because it's a new part number most likely. lol.

But yeah, original people got a very different bracket that did not mount flush with the input shaft and hit the mesh grill.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that and was going to post something, but you beat me to it. This is one of those items that I feel should be replaced for free. I'm not looking for handouts, but the original is a design flaw and does not work without heavy modification. I get that there will always be new parts for this thing, but it fixes something that is flat out wrong they need to at least offer to send us the updated piece.
    Last edited by GUNS; 03-13-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    I saw that and was going to post something, but you beat me to it. This is one of those items that I feel should be replaced for free. I'm not looking for handouts, but the original is a design flaw and does not work without heavy modification. I get that there will always be new parts for this thing, but if fixes something that is flat out wrong they need to at least offer to send us the updated piece.
    I agree completely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you guys notice the new bent coolant tubes too?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aero sti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guns View Post
    i saw that and was going to post something, but you beat me to it. This is one of those items that i feel should be replaced for free. I'm not looking for handouts, but the original is a design flaw and does not work without heavy modification. I get that there will always be new parts for this thing, but if fixes something that is flat out wrong they need to at least offer to send us the updated piece.
    i agree completely.
    Agreed as well.

Oh, and I was totally diggin' those bent coolant tubes too. =)
    "Weight transfer is the enemy."

Executive Director
    The Community Garage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billjr212 View Post
    This may turn into a "WTB" thread, but the base point is more a discussion, so I kept it out of that section.

I was flipping through the new manual and low and behold, Factory Five appears to have quietly replaced the ill-fitting original shift linkage assembly.

If you received the email update, check out page 73 for what I'm talking about. Essentially, instead of the old piece with the 2 ears that stuck backwards and hit the bumper, there it is now a pre-drilled cube to slide over the shift linkage with a bar that drops straight down. Much better based on the pictures.

Anybody buy a recent version of the kit that has seen this in person? I called Factory Five, but they wanted $37.50 plus shipping and weren't sure if they had any in stock. (parts guy tried to tell me this part has never changed, so I'm a little confused)

Now the "WTB" portion - anybody have this and not planning to use it? I'd take it off your hands for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will break out the grinder and the welder this weekend to try to re-orient the original one so I can start mounting up the body.

Bill, you said "pre-drilled cube to slide over the shift"
    you mean like this ....... did that some time ago.......

DSCF4743.jpgDSCF4744.jpg
    Harley
    Bought 2002 Donor Jan 2014
    First Start Jan 18, 2015
    First Drive Feb 14, 2015

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, it looks like the post for the in-out cable is moved down the arm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Did you guys notice the new bent coolant tubes too?
    Now I did.

I want those. The only coolant leak I've developed was hidden in the side sail.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is something that bothers me as well. I assume they are putting the new shift link in the new kits as well as a smaller gas tank so tall people like me can scoot the seat back a little.
    However, I can't get an answer on how soon we can BUY these new items to fix the problems we have with our original kit parts.

Factory Five, please help us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal0mann View Post
    This is something that bothers me as well. I assume they are putting the new shift link in the new kits as well as a smaller gas tank so tall people like me can scoot the seat back a little.
    However, I can't get an answer on how soon we can BUY these new items to fix the problems we have with our original kit parts.

Factory Five, please help us.
    The shift link in the photos above has no impact on back seat space. It attaches to the back of the transmission. The new gas tanks, however, are recessed behind the driver seat and do allow you to move the seat further back. Have you tried calling FFR about the new links? They should be available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Wish I got that with my kit. Here's how i fixed mine:
    That is what I did to mine in 2013 as well, works fine. You should shift the bracket from the side of the transaxle forward 1.5 inches as well by adding a 3rd hole

P1120573.JPG
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14