BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California Certificate of Sequence - SB100

Post Thanks / Like

California Certificate of Sequence - SB100

For all of those who have successfully registered a car in California, how long did it take you to get your physical Certificate of Sequence from the DMV? According to their website, it should be processed between 7-10 business days once the application is accepted by the DMV. For reference, please provide your sequence number, date you applied at the DMV, and when you received your certificate.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...n/dmv/vr/spcns

Here's mine:

Applied at DMV - 6/5/2015
    Sequence number - 2015149
    Received Certificate of Sequence (from DMV) - 7/8/2015
    Thanks!

-Jerome
    Last edited by JeromeS13; 07-09-2015 at 09:44 AM.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been awhile since I went through the process, but here is what I know.

2002 - (Roadster) 5 weeks
    2005 - (Roadster) 3 weeks
    2007 - (Coupe) 3 weeks.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    In January 2015 it took 5 weeks in NorCal.

Luckily the rest went really fast so I was good with my 60 day operating permit they gave me.

Kevin
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got mine in the mail today. About 3 weeks for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Just got mine in the mail today. About 3 weeks for me.
    Got mine today, too! Calling tomorrow to schedule an appointment! Woohoo!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Applied at DMV: 6-8-2015.
    My number is 2015150.
    I have not gotten the certificate,... yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Received mine yesterday, 7/8/15!
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations!
    I wan't to hear about your BAR visit and Brake and Tail inspection, in detail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matteo92065 View Post
    Congratulations!
    I wan't to hear about your BAR visit and Brake and Tail inspection, in detail.
    For the BAR Appointment, I just got off the phone and their first available near me is August 3rd.

For the Brake and Lamp inspection, it was pretty straight forward. The guy checked all exterior lights (high beam, low beam, turn signals front and rear, reverse lights, tag light, etc.), then checked for interior indicators (turn signal, high beam, parking brake). He then asked about hazard lights (which I removed the switch and wiring). He looked at the California codes and found no reference that required a car to have them. Then he positioned a fancy contraption in front of the headlights to check the aiming of them. They're barely at the legal height limit (I believe he said 22 inches from the ground at the center point), but they're legal. First go around, driver's side headlight adjusted fine. Passenger side, not so much. I ended up failing for the passenger side aiming. I had to replace the headlight with one I got from eBay and it passed no problem.

For the Brake inspection, he basically asked what car the brakes were off of so he could get the specs. Then he just measured the rotor thickness on each corner and looked at the pads. He also checked the fluid level. He also checked to make sure the parking brake "slowed" the vehicle.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, you beat me for the BAR appointment, mines on the 5th for anywhere near me. I was willing to drive but the agent said that he checked within a 30mi radius and thats all he could find. For your headlight level 22" off the ground to center seems right just seems a bit low when driving at night. It might be that way for me because I did a projector retrofit and I have a sharp cutoff. This with go cart like suspension and you see the beam bounce like crazy because the cars on rails.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my sequence number in the mail yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Intial DMV Visit

Im ready to make my initial visit to the Ca DMV. When others say get all the paper work ready and write the big check. How big ? I spent a total of $20,000 to get to this point. What kind of tax would I pay for this amount ?

Thanks, Jeff
    Last edited by jmccabe; 07-10-2015 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    10%ish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As I understand it there are only 500 certificates available each year. I went January 2 and found the process relatively painless. Not sure how long it took to actually receive the certificate as my car wasn't completely ready to be inspected. I just wanted to be certain of getting my cert before DMV closed the door for that year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, that helps.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The amount of the "big check" will depend on the city/county where you live. In California the sales tax varies by location, here in Fresno it is 8.225%, so your check would be $1645 plus the DMV fees.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    The amount of the "big check" will depend on the city/county where you live. In California the sales tax varies by location, here in Fresno it is 8.225%, so your check would be $1645 plus the DMV fees.
    Doug
    Don't let them 'double dip'... if you've already payed CA sales tax on any of that portion it shouldn't be taxed again. Kit and donor parts are likely not to have been taxed, of course, but if you bought other significant items locally (wheels/tires, etc...) and payed CA sales tax on them, that portion should not be taxed again... Bring receipts!

P.S. just closed on a house in CA... laughing at $2k being a 'big check'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just made my BAR appointment in San Diego. 4 weeks out. Another $8.50
    Interesting tid bit; BAR inspections are ONLY at Community Colleges.

btw: I just looked up my DMV fees. $167 in fees plus the sales tax (based on vehicle value). I don't know if any of the individual fees are flat or based on total vehicle value.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the BAR referee schedules are 3-4 weeks out, I think it's kind of ridiculous that they make you wait until you have the paper certificate in hand before you can make the appointment, ESPECIALLY when it takes the DMV 4-5 weeks to send that to you... I can understand requiring the CHP and Brake/Lamp inspections to be completed prior to the appointment... This is just a HUGE waste of time and causes unnecessary delays in the process...

/vent
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Also needing to make yet another trip to the dmv because my temp operating permit only lasted for 1 month and the bar inspection falls a bit out of that range. Of course this happens to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tuesday April 21st 2015 - I walked into the Thousand Oaks DMV, no appointment. 3 hours later walked out with a Certificate of Sequence #111 and much lighter in the wallet. April 30th, brake and light inspection then back to the DMV the same day. Waited for 2 hours and walked out with a 60 day driving permit. June 3, CHP inspection passed and made B.A.R. appointment that day. The first appointment was July 7th. Passed the B.A.R inspection by 9 a.m and then back to the DMV. Waited 2.5 hours spent about 1/2 hour at the counter and left with my plates. Wahoo! Contact me if you need more info. Jeff C.

2014 FFR Mark 4 Street Version, no side pipes, roll bar or hood scoop. Engine Factory Dart 351W stroked to 427, Black paint by Jeff Miller
    It was born at the Bat Cave April 3, 2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a side note, not all DMV clerks are requiring a brake and light inspection. Around here it is running about 50%. Not saying that it is a good or bad idea, just the facts.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    HELP!
    Bought a Cobra replica with a clean, clear Arizona title and license - trying to get it licensed here in California - spent 3 hours at DMV and here's my challenge:
    1. Arizona Title states car is 1966 Cobra - 125,000 miles with a build date of 2005
    2. It's a COBRAY -( I probably lost 3/4 of the readers at this stage LOL! - for those not familiar - it's a Cobra-esq body on a C-3 frame - 355 SBC matched to a Turbo 400 auto trans ) I know not a FFR but I don't fit in one and needed the extra 98" wheel base
    3. DMV clerk could not put the 'square peg in the round hole' and advised that I need to go the SPNC route -
    4. I have my CHP Inspection scheduled for Oct. 1, 2015 (**I'm in Sacramento)

My question is this:
    a. Since I already have a title (albeit an Arizona Title) can I or how do I get my Certificate of Sequence?
    b. Confirming the correct process: Apply for Certificate of Sequence, CHP Inspection then B.A.R. appointment?

Finally - (if I still have readers interested in my post.....regarding the turn signals and back-up light - my blinker switch is manual - I have to move it up/down to simulate the 'blinker' (might be a faulty blinker relay). How are you guys handling the back-up light?

Any support or recommendations would be GREATLY appreciated - Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalLo View Post
    HELP!
    Bought a Cobra replica with a clean, clear Arizona title and license - trying to get it licensed here in California - spent 3 hours at DMV and here's my challenge:
    1. Arizona Title states car is 1966 Cobra - 125,000 miles with a build date of 2005
    2. It's a COBRAY -( I probably lost 3/4 of the readers at this stage LOL! - for those not familiar - it's a Cobra-esq body on a C-3 frame - 355 SBC matched to a Turbo 400 auto trans ) I know not a FFR but I don't fit in one and needed the extra 98" wheel base
    3. DMV clerk could not put the 'square peg in the round hole' and advised that I need to go the SPNC route -

My question is this:
    a. Since I already have a title (albeit an Arizona Title) can I or how do I get my Certificate of Sequence?
    b. Confirming the correct process: Apply for Certificate of Sequence, CHP Inspection then B.A.R. appointment?

Finally - (if I still have readers interested in my post.....regarding the turn signals and back-up light - my blinker switch is manual - I have to move it up/down to simulate the 'blinker' (might be a faulty blinker relay). How are you guys handling the back-up light?

a) I'm no expert, as I've only done one. I don't think that this project would qualify for SPNC as it was an existing frame with an existing VIN. But if you get that through...
    b) yes, but add that you will probably need the Brake and Light inspection too. You can do the CHP and Brake and Light before getting the Sequence Certificate in the mail, but you need the actual piece of paper from Sacramento for the BAR inspection.
    Finally) better fix the blinkers, they have to work. And stick any old light on to make a back-up light. These were thoroughly checked on my car three weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    HELP!

My question is this:

Mine was a similar, but different situation (since yours is a replica and mine is not). I also started the process with an Arizona title and Arizona issued VIN.

You still need to do the same process. Initiate SB100 process with DMV. Do a CHP inspection. Do a brake and lamp inspection. Do a BAR inspection when you receive your SB100 certificate.

You will need to replace the flasher and have them blink automatically.

What's the issue with the backup lights? Yes, you need those, too.
    Last edited by JeromeS13; 08-20-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I didn't need a backup light in 2011, has something changed? 1965 cars didn't have them...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    I didn't need a backup light in 2011, has something changed? 1965 cars didn't have them...

Ahhh. I wasn't aware of that. I would check with the shop performing the Brake and Lamp inspection (if it's required).
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David, that is like most everything regarding the DMV in California. The shop I used up here in Fresno did not check for a back up light.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    THANKS for the replies gang! I fixed the blinker problem - (just cleaned the contact points) I ordered a chrome license plate holder that has LED lights on the lower edge that I'll connect for my back-up lights (low profile and less holes) - waiting patiently for the October appointment, but having a '*****IN' time driving my new toy!!!!!! I've had nice cars in the past, but never had so much attention by everyone with this one LOL!!! Updates to follow and THANKS again!

Post Thanks / Like
    **Quick question - any idea if I'll need a windshield wiper kit and if so single or double????

Post Thanks / Like
    **Quick question - any idea if I'll need a windshield wiper kit and if so single or double????
    Depends on your CHP inspector. Mine didn't say anything about mine (no wiper).
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving a very old thread. I'm registering my 818S. Went to the DMV, junked the donor, paid the use tax, and left with a one day operating permit. They would not give me a sequence number because I have no VIN. Asked for a supervisor and got the same answer.

I'm ready to do my brake and light inspection. My inspector is going to call BAR and see if they can live without side marker lights and center high brake light. I don't want to cut into my wiring again. He asked me what year it is and said that he could put it down as 0000 if I like. Should I say 1960 instead? I know that's what the air resources people will call it if I ask for it by body style. I know that I don't want to call it 2023. That's just asking for trouble.

Got a CHP inspection on May 2.

Ed Holyoke

Post Thanks / Like
    So to update, BAR referred my inspector to CHP 982, a document laying out what equipment must be present for various vehicles including specially constructed vehicles. Side markers and high center brake light were not listed. Headlights - low and high beam and high beam indicator, taillights, rear reflector (DOT approved taillights are reflective), license plate light, turn signal system, brake lights, and backup lights are all required. There is no mention of hazard flashers, but mine work just the same. Inspection went smoothly because I made sure all that stuff was working. Adjusted the headlights so that the height of the beam on a board neither increased or decreased when the board was moved 10 feet further from the car.

The only bad news is that my one day operating permit will expire 2 days before my CHP appointment, so another trip to the DMV is going to be required. And then another DMV visit right after that to get a sequence number and another operating permit. Oh well. Don't want to give them an excuse to fail me on a technicality.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there is any need to "play games" with model year. I would use 2023. I used 2021 on mine. It will be titled as a Specialty Construction Vehicle and the year doesn't matter. It's not titled as a Factory Five 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with 0000. It's an option that is allowed in the system. We'll see how it goes with the CHP.

On another note, I'm not using the Subie PCV in the stock location. My AWIC piping made that unfeasible. Instead, I'm putting a Chevy valve inline to the induction tube with lines teed from the cylinder head breathers. Do you think the ARB inspectors are going to cry foul?

Post Thanks / Like
    A PCV valve is a PCV valve. Just make sure to use proper PCV system hose. Because why wouldn't you? Except, I have seen more than one example of the improper hose being used. The brand hose I used isn't specifically labeled for use in a PCV system, but I oriented the hose with the part number visible and had the manufacture's web site ready to show the inspector which clearly showed it was approved for use in a PCV system.

As a side note, if you are going the track your car, the plastic OEM T that mounts on the engine block crank case vent that T's to the PCV and air intake will melt, at least mine did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that OEM tee was in the way of my turbo outlet pipe so it had to go. That whole area is pretty inaccessible now. It's why I'm using the head vents for PCV. Thanks for the tip on using correct hose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my VIN and sequence number yesterday. CHP riveted a blue sticker on the frame aft of the driver side door. If you're worried about running out of sequence numbers - don't. Mine is 38.

Drove my first two canyon roads and it was a gas. The car really sticks corners. I have almost a hundred miles on her all of a sudden and doing an oil change. I've been avoiding boost. I'll be making my tuning appointment and put some more break in miles on. I may even get around to putting on the hood and hump lid.

Ed

39. Likes Rob T, blomb11 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting to plan for applying for an SB100 next year. Can anyone provide the associated costs with this process I can use for budgeting? I know I will have to pay a tax on the vehicle, but how is this value assessed? Estimated value or total spent on the kit? I am hoping I can reduce it as much as possible since I have already paid sales tax on all the parts I have bought for the kit/build.

I will need to work on a few things to pass the inspection, but just trying to get a better gauge on what to plan to spend to get the paperwork done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blomb11 View Post
    I am starting to plan for applying for an SB100 next year. Can anyone provide the associated costs with this process I can use for budgeting? I know I will have to pay a tax on the vehicle, but how is this value assessed? Estimated value or total spent on the kit? I am hoping I can reduce it as much as possible since I have already paid sales tax on all the parts I have bought for the kit/build.

I will need to work on a few things to pass the inspection, but just trying to get a better gauge on what to plan to spend to get the paperwork done.
    Howdy,

You're going to have fees for registration and for junking your donor if you haven't already. The biggest expense will be use tax. You fill out a form listing what you spent on the vehicle. Anything you've already paid tax on doesn't get hit again. I made it easy for the DMV lady by making up a sort of spreadsheet which clearly showed CA sales tax paid backed up with receipts, for example tirerack. Unless you paid use tax for the kit on your income tax return, you'll be hit with state and county tax on that. There's a line on the form for miscellaneous expenses for which you have no receipts. I threw $400 in there to give them something instead of trying to say "nope, nothing".

Brake and light inspection is up to the authorized repair station. I paid about $100. CHP inspection is free. It takes a while to get an appointment. About a month in my case. I'm still dealing with the BAR referee on smog, but I don't think there is a fee.

So, the smog ref appointment line makes a telephone appointment. That was a week out for me. The ref on the phone is going to want to see all your documents via email so it makes sense to scan them into pdfs and zip them into a file that you can send him without delay. My ref sent me an email in the morning which I didn't see until we were already on the phone, so I missed that opportunity. He also is going to want pictures of the PCV setup on your car complying with the diagram in the Subaru maintenance manual. I found mine on page EC-6 in section 8, (DOHC). You could have those ready to go also and make your life a lot easier. Once he approves your paperwork and pictures, he will clear your case and you'll go back to the appointment line to make an in person inspection appointment.

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast