In another build thread, there was discussion about the Coyote dipstick and Moroso oil pan not playing nice together. After further review, I determined mine needed a little rework. So thought I would post about it in my build thread since many are following it and may have the same issue with their Coyote.

The original problem was found a couple of years ago, and discussed in this thread: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-ford...-much-oil.html

It seemed that Moroso fixed the problem, so I was a little surprised to read in a current build thread that there was still a potential problem. I had noticed that the dipstick on mine didn’t go in all that smoothly, especially near the end. But it follows a rather curvey path, so didn’t think anything of it. But based on the recent discussion, decided to investigate further.

Fortunately, my engine is still out of the car and doesn’t have oil in it. So easy to check. I loosened the bolts on my Moroso pan enough to peek inside and see what was happening with the dip stick. Sure enough it was hitting something and deflecting. So I completely removed the pan. I confirmed it does have the oval cut-out discussed in the link above, so it's obviously been updated. But still there was interference and may not read correctly. I put some plumbers putty in the area where it appeared to be hitting, and put the pan back in place. Pushed the dip stick down until it hit, removed, rotated 180 degrees, and back in again. Removed the pan and there were two marks, about 1/4-inch apart. They hit in the area of the oval (barely) but also exactly in the area where the metal baffle underneath crosses into the oval cutout. That was the problem.

I debated just trimming a little off the end of the dipstick since the acceptable range of measurement is actually slightly above this area. But decided to go ahead and clearance the area of the baffle that was hitting so that a stock length dip stick can be used now and in the future. Took about 5 minutes with a Dremel and die grinder, and a lot longer to clean everything up. No place for metal shavings. Put everything back together and the dipstick now drops through the oval cutout.

This is something other Coyote builds that use a Moroso pan should also check. This picture shows where the interference occurs.