Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  38

Thread: EdwardBs Mk4 #8674 20th Anniversary Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_M View Post
    Edward, really looks great, congrats. I should be receiving my panels back next week. All the panels fit really well for me except for one, Drivers top footbox inside panel. (one with hole cut out in your photo above) Front and side lined up well, but I couldn't get it flush with the firewall. Spoke to Dan at FF and he said most guys pull the firewall into the panel. I'm using the thicker FFmetal firewall, for me this was about 1/2" away from the 3/4" frame that runs long the side of engine bay. Wondering if anyone else had a similar experience? Something else I came across was it seems that FF started shipping a different radiator in summer of 2015. I'm #9 of the 20th kits, received my kit in Aug 2015 and my radiator came with angled inlet and outlet. Edward yours looks like it has straight outlet from the photos above. I ordered my breeze radiator shroud a while ago. When I received it, it didn't line up 100%, thought it was just the panel so I used some persuasion to get it to fit, wasn't 100% as I had to pull the top and bottom out a bit, but it worked. I see now that Breeze has a new radiator shroud 32204 for the radiator I was shipped, this one has the fan hole already cut. Mine is already at the PC'er but I'm going to get this new one as I assume it fits better.
    Thanks! The DS footbox top inside panel in my build and pics isn't the stock FF part. It's one of the new pieces as designed by 2bking to provide additional space for the Coyote. As such, it's narrower and has a different outside edge profile to match the new inside footbox wall. But it's the same exact length as the one provided by FF -- 15-3/8 inches long -- I just checked. That dimension fits perfectly between the footbox front and firewall. A little snug actually. I too have an .090 thick firewall, although it's not the FFMetals one. The 2bking mod requires a smaller cutout in the firewall, so I made this new one using his layout. But it fits on the 2x2 inch dash tube and between the 3/4 inch tubes just like the stock one. I'm not exactly understanding the problem you're describing. Because of the way the firewall is mounted to the 2x2 inch tube and then the little 3/4 inch vertical piece near the steering column, if the length of the cover doesn't fill properly I don't see how it could be "pulled in" as recommended. Is that the 1/2 inch gap your describing? If so, no way. If you're saying the notch in the top of the firewall is 1/2 inch off, that shouldn't be a problem. That area is all enclosed in the footbox. Or if you're saying your firewall doesn't reach the vertical 3/4 inch tube, that's probably also not a problem since it does attach to the top cover at the end. I snapped a quick pic of that area in my build, with the two top pieces now removed. This is looking forward. Help at all?

I've heard about and seen pictures of the newer radiator from FF. My kit was also delivered (picked up) in August. I guess I may have just missed. I received an Afco Racing radiator, just like I've used before. The angled tube on the lower hose is a good idea. Routing that hose around the front of the chassis tube and tow hook/tie down can be challenging. I don't think the new radiator is from Afco Racing though. Just like the new manual steering rack was no longer from Unisteer. The gas tank, sender, and pickup also appear to be from a different supplier than in the past. FF is clearly using some different sources.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-21-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.