Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Intake temp. gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Intake temp. gauge

I am going to install a digital intake temperature gauge in my 818S with 2.0 turbo. Where is the best location to tap in the sender? Engine and intercooler are installed in the car (running), would prefer a minimum of dismantling.

I got a Prosport gauge and sender. Web site says the sender requires a 3/8" NPT. Boy, the threads of the sender are much larger than 3/8 inch. What gives?
    Last edited by tmoretta; 12-15-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lower end of the intercooler, right before the air goes into the throttle body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please post details as you move ahead.

Thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't you, in theory, splice into the MAF sensor wire to get the intake temperature?
    818S Chassis #288 2.5L 323hp
    Ordered: 9/19/14 Received Kit: 11/2/14 First Start: 5/31/15 First Drive: 6/7/15 Registered: 3/10/2016 Completed: 2/10/2017
    joshuajach.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TouchStone View Post
    Couldn't you, in theory, splice into the MAF sensor wire to get the intake temperature?
    That works, but it's measuring a different thing than what is important.

What matters is the post-turbo post-IC temp, as it's entering the engine. The MAF gives roughly ambient temps.

As mentioned above, the only spot is on an end tank or piece of piping between IC and throttle body.

We tapped both end tanks of our AWIC and use a pre and post IC gauge. The Speed Density temp sensor is right next to the post-IC one.
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same as Andrew, only my Speed Density temp sensor is in a bung I welded on my intake manifold runner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xxguitarist View Post
    That works, but it's measuring a different thing than what is important.

What matters is the post-turbo post-IC temp, as it's entering the engine. The MAF gives roughly ambient temps.

As mentioned above, the only spot is on an end tank or piece of piping between IC and throttle body.

We tapped both end tanks of our AWIC and use a pre and post IC gauge. The Speed Density temp sensor is right next to the post-IC one.
    Andrew, did you find a clean display unit to mount in the car or do you just use something that you connect for testing only? I need to do some testing on my AAIC solution
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Andrew, did you find a clean display unit to mount in the car or do you just use something that you connect for testing only? I need to do some testing on my AAIC solution
    Nice & tidy: http://prosportgauges.com/dual-inter...ure-gauge.aspx
    -Andrew

Building 818S/R #297 with Tamra
    08 Mazdaspeed3 | '12 F800R | '97 Miata

Post Thanks / Like
    I found a AIT sensor that only used an 1/8" NPT. I taped a whole in my awic.
    I have not installed it yet.

awic.jpg sensor.jpg

Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The JDM cars with automatic intercooler sprayers have temp sensors tapped into the intake manifold next to the throttle body.

Have also seen folks that tap one into each runner of the throttle body. But that always seemed excessive to me. Unless you are doing some sort of R&D to design a new intake manifold, or have a meth system that you can tune independently per runner or something else extreme like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    You gottta do the dual temp gauge!
    When things are working right the post IC temp will show just above ambient at all times,... boring!
    But the pre IC temps.... There is some fun stuff! It's a challenge to see just how high you can get it. Each time you see a higher temp you tell yourself, "yeah, I'm pushing the car now, I must be a good driver."

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same gauge as XX guitarist. You can see my bungs here. I added a third one after the IC for speed density. didn't want to risk splitting the voltage signal off of one post IC sensor to both the ECU and the gauge and potentially get bad readings.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Guys, Im also using the same ProSport dual air temperature gauge. Ive mounted the inlet temperature sensor within a few inches of the air filter (just inside the RH wheel arch) about 30 inches intake from the turbo. The second (outlet) sensor is taped into the centre of my 2012 Plastic intake manifold. Within these late model plastic manifolds, there is a plenum near the middle of the system - the throttle body feeds from the LH side and turbulence within this plenum is designed to even flow to all cylinders? I didn't post definitive details until I had my tuner at the dyno calibrate/check that the temperature readings are accurate....
    The gauge is mounted to the RH side of my instrument cluster - the image shows that post turbo my intake temperature is about 3 degrees celsius higher than the air being sucked from the RH wheel scoop (30 degrees C versus 33 degrees C). This follows about 1hr driving at 100km/h (65m/h) - mostly staying within the speed limit - occasional heavy right foot.
    Interestingly - my intercooler fan and hole in lid works. If I leave the fan turned off - intake temperature rose as high as 60 degrees C - whilst ambient was 25-30 degree C. Whilst driving at about 65m/h for 10 minutes with the fan on the temperatures evened to 2-3 degrees above intake air temp. This drop was amazing - and IMO has proved that Air to Air Intercooler with flow (fan) works.
    I look forward to seeing results from those using this gauge with Air to H2O intercooler...
    Attached Images Attached Images