Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: #8793 MK4 Build ('15 IRS, '16 Coyote, 15" wheels)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Onto the rear end. I'm still waiting on CV's, spindles, and brakes so I can't do a final mock up yet to see if the brakes/15" wheels/spindles will all clear each other. As soon as I know I'll post pictures and details. In theory I have about a 1/2" clearance on the inner 15" wheel edge and the first contact point on the spindles, but we'll see when they all finally come. I have both 17" and 15" wheels sitting in the basement so I'll mock both up with pictures in case anyone in interested in seeing fitment. Worst case scenario I have to take Mike up on his offer to borrow his machine shop for a day and mill some material off the spindle. Alternatively wheels spacers may be a consideration. We'll find out.

I did a quick POR15 treatment to the rear pumpkin. Yes, I know the rear case is aluminum but I'm wanting it all black from the back side so black it is.

Fitting the pumpkin was a little challenging. As usual I had to use the dremel and a sanding bit to take off the powder coating inside the bracket holes before starting. This was something I had to do on the front as well. I did it as a one man job with a floor jack. The whole install took about 2hrs. It was easy to get it into place with the nose pointed up and balancing it. The alignment was definitely tight though. I was able to use a combination of punches to get the first three bolts and and lined up.

The last whole was a little more challenging as it didn't line up and it was threaded. The last thing I wanted to do was cross thread and walk it into place.

With the weight on the bushings they were being compressed and pulling it a little out of shape. I didn't have any alignment pins or spare bolts handy to spin down on a grinder like Edward did (and it was about 10pm and the family was all asleep) so my quick solution was to pull the front bushing and spacer out, run the bolt through, then get about the first 4 or 5 threads started by hand before using the bolt to walk the bushing back into place. A little extra white lithium spray helped it slide right in.

That's about the extent of the updates at this time. Traveling for the next week so no progress for a while, then it's over to Mike's to finally pick up the motor and trans he's been graciously holding onto in his shop for me.
    Last edited by Duke; 05-25-2018 at 08:25 AM.