FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Legendary Motorcars - Georgetown, Ontario Canada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just happened to catch that segment as well. As a pretty avid Factory Five owner and builder, I didn't like it much either. But several observations from my side. (1) The guy is a car snob. I've always had that impression. They deal with very high end cars, high end restorations, original Cobras, etc. and clearly have customers with more money than they know what to do with. (2) He was doing the usual sales routine of talking down what the guy wanted to sell or trade. (3) He clearly is misinformed. Suggesting a Superformance is more authentic than a "restomod" Factory Five is just wrong. Check the frame and tell me which one is closer. (4) Each replica brand has their take on the body shape. Some closer to the originals than others for sure. The car on the show looked like an earlier Mk2 or Mk3. Hopefully he would agree the Mk4 is a little closer.

But maybe the bigger point, and I suspect even the most loyal customers would agree, is that Factory Five has really improved their product over the past 20 years. Some of the very early versions and all out donor builds are really nothing like the products most builders are turning out of their workshop today. But some still remember those days, and still apply it to today's product. I saw some of that in his comments. I've personally experienced exactly that opinion from several people over the past few years.

I'll be interested to see if he responds to the email.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The real unfortunate thing with his demeaning the FFR's on TV is, thousands of naive people who know nothing about the construction, and engineering of them, will now be thinking they are junk.

And this from a used car salesman, who'd never lie, as we all know..
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I just happened to catch that segment as well. As a pretty avid Factory Five owner and builder, I didn't like it much either. But several observations from my side. (1) The guy is a car snob. I've always had that impression. They deal with very high end cars, high end restorations, original Cobras, etc. and clearly have customers with more money than they know what to do with. (2) He was doing the usual sales routine of talking down what the guy wanted to sell or trade. (3) He clearly is misinformed. Suggesting a Superformance is more authentic than a "restomod" Factory Five is just wrong. Check the frame and tell me which one is closer. (4) Each replica brand has their take on the body shape. Some closer to the originals than others for sure. The car on the show looked like an earlier Mk2 or Mk3. Hopefully he would agree the Mk4 is a little closer.

But maybe the bigger point, and I suspect even the most loyal customers would agree, is that Factory Five has really improved their product over the past 20 years. Some of the very early versions and all out donor builds are really nothing like the products most builders are turning out of their workshop today. But some still remember those days, and still apply it to today's product. I saw some of that in his comments. I've personally experienced exactly that opinion from several people over the past few years.

I'll be interested to see if he responds to the email.
    I think for me, it boiled down to the fact that people just seem to treat others with less and less respect. Car snob, absolutely. But more to the point, I've noticed that he positions himself to appear to be more knowledgeable and market aware than anyone else. I would think that to run a business such as his, you would certainly need to know as much as you can about the cars that you are marketing and selling.

His problem seems to be that he allows his ego to dictate his level of knowledge. And what I saw during that show, was a person who was more concerned with trying to equate facts from one scenario that had next to nothing to do with the other: And he did it with no regard or respect for other people or, (in this case), other businesses.

As a result, I lost what respect for him that I may have had previously.

For a long time, I've held the opinion that if you do not know what you're talking about, you should probably wait until you have more information and knowledge before you start running your mouth to the masses.

I know which car I'd rather have to drive...

By the way, I am eagerly awaiting each post to your 20th Anniversary MK4 build thread. Your work is impeccable, and I plan to use it as a guide when I am ready to build mine. Keep up the great work.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 03-23-2016 at 03:52 PM.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

I know which car I'd rather have to drive...

Me too...

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    By the way, I am eagerly awaiting each post to your 20th Anniversary MK4 build thread. Your work is impeccable, and I plan to use it as a guide when I am ready to build mine. Keep up the great work. Mike
    Thanks for the props. Working on another update at this moment.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.