Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coyote build + big feet

Post Thanks / Like

coyote build + big feet

So I am about ready to pull the trigger on ordering a kit and doing a coyote build.
    My only concern at this point is fitting my size 13 feet in the footbox.

Any Coyote builders with big feet on here that can reduce my concern with their experience?
    I have talked to a couple guys that will let me come see their coyote builds so i can try for myself but it will be a considerable journey to get to them so I thought I would ask around here as well.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The foot box room shouldn't be any smaller than any other build with the available sheet metal options. The new FFR DS foot box metal for the modular engines, which includes the Coyote, has almost the same room on the right side as the foot box for the 302s. They have a left side panel that gives even more room around the clutch pedal. If you check out my build thread you can see a design that gets all the room back on the right side and quite a few builders have used it. As far as the 13s in the foot box, you will have to let the big feet drivers comment on that. I'm a size 9.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    My 13's fit with a 302, but I'm running an auto, so I'm missing a pedal. i didnt think the Coyote took any room away, does it?
    Last edited by 6t8dart; 05-24-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Send a message to GUMBALL or DAVID HODGKINS.
    Both of these guys know how to make big guys fit into tiny cars, specifically Factory Five Roadsters.
    The process starts with Kirkey Vintage Bucket Seats.
    Check out build thread: Engine, Transmission and Rear End Choices- Metaphors Welcome.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-24-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, those size 13's are going to fill up the footbox no matter what engine is used. What shoes you use can make a big difference. You may want to look into some racing shoes or at least shop for the narrowest style you can find. I found some running shoes that help my measly 10-1/2's fit better than all of my other shoes. I don't drive without them because they make a big difference.

As far as the Coyote itself, in the past they did reduce available footbox space. Same as mod motors, as FF used the same footbox sheetmetal for both. The additional space is needed up high for the heads, but not so much down by your feet. So guys did their own mods to reclaim this space. 2bking's excellent mod took that to a very professional level, and is what I have in my Coyote build. The new build has almost exactly the same footbox space as my SBF Mk4 with standard FF panels. I didn't commit to a Coyote build until I was sure this would be the case. Fast forward to today, FF now is shipping sheet metal that also reclaims this lost space, plus add's another bump-out on the LH side of the footbox. Bottom line, you don't need to be any tighter in a Coyote build than any other engine choice.
    Last edited by edwardb; 05-25-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine is in Phoenix city. He has a mkIii he is a big guy. I am sure you could try his on.

I don't know his shoe size. Pm me for more info
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    To make reading faster, go to posts 21 and 29
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All y'all got little feet...

My wookie size 16's fit, but I've never tried the new Coyote aluminum. I'm worried about the bump out being too short. Both of my builds so far have been 302's and I used FFMetal's small block metal with the firewall forward firewall, which is no longer available. I use a Russ Thompson gas pedal with a "Z" bend in it (towards the inner wall) and take advantage of the Wilwood adjustable pedals by mounting the brake pad off center to the outside. I can - and do - drive with running shoes on!

Sorry I can't be more help on this issue...

BTW I'll just put it out there that with a SBF you can make an absolutely huge passenger footbox to go with it. Notice this one is pushed out beyond the floor tube:

All of this is not to sway you to go with a 302. The Coyote is a GREAT motor! I'm sure there is a way for us big guys to make it work to our satisfaction, I just haven't had the opportunity yet...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have size 12's and fabbed my custom footbox mod to fit the Coyote. Space is not an issue. I installed Koolmat, followed by Dynamat and then carpet on top (likely lost close to 3/8 to 1/2 inch of space on each surface with these 3 layers but still plenty of space. I have posted a number of pic's for reference. I use standard running shoes that are quite wide - refer to pics. Size 13 will not be a problem as you can space the pedals to fit and modify the drivers side wall of the footbox to maximize space. I understand that FFR now includes an expanded clutch pedal side "kick out" for even more space for your feet (not needed in my case - but more space is always welcome). You will note my left foot easily passes between the clutch pedal and the side of the foot box (with FFR's new "kick out" there will be more than enough space for size 13"s "+". Typically I rest my clutch foot on the down tube in the foot box (perfect length for me and a natural resting spot). In this position there is another 3-4 inches of space in front of my left foot before reaching the front wall of the footbox (for drivers with longer legs - I am 5'11" with 34 inch inseam). Space is not an issue.

size 12 vs coyote footbox - 1.jpgsize 12 vs coyote footbox - 2.jpgsize 12 vs coyote footbox - 3.jpgsize 12 vs coyote footbox - 4.jpgsize 12 vs coyote footbox - 5.jpg

Footnote: my brother in law just purchased a 2014 corvette (1 model below the top edition) and I took it for a spin a few weeks back. For me I immediately noticed that the Vet's footbox was tighter than my FFR Mk4. The Vet's interior and driving experience is very refined and perhaps even too mild - every creature comfort you could imagine - what a fantastic car. Chevrolet has come a long way and really tamed this car so nearly anyone can drive a Vet. Verses my Mk4 which drives like a beast and perhaps more similar to a Viper (which has a sparse interior but full on adrenaline).
    Last edited by Jester; 05-25-2016 at 12:38 PM.
    15th Anniversary Edition
    Mk4 - 18 month build (4 hrs every Sat), received Aug 2011, titled & registered May 2013, final in paint Nov 2013 - Ferrari blue
    FRPP Crate Coyote 5.0, tko600, Moser 3 link, manual steering & 13" brakes, upgraded coil overs
    koolmat then dynamat then carpet in cockpit - very solid, no engine heat transfer to cockpit and no road noise

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone very much! About ready to pull the trigger and place my order.