Quote Originally Posted by 6t8dart View Post
Biggest thing i learned over the years, get the static ignition timing right before you start, make sure your fuel is getting to the intake (carb, FI, etc), make sure your spark is sparking. Check all your fluids again!

Safety!
1. Make sure the rear wheels are up off the ground and chock your front tires in case it accidentally slips into gear.

2. Have plan if you have a major fuel leak, how to stop the fuel pump, and exit strategy if it all goes to hell; open all doors to the garage, fire extinguisher hand and pin pulled, a friend or wife standing by with a cell phone to call 911, and a water hose turned on and ready to go, just in case its you that are on fire. (had a co-worker pour gas into a hot running mower years ago, he ended up with burns on 25% of his body, but a neighbor next door with a hose put him out, could have been worse).

3. With that said, make sure your insurance is active and covers mishaps before you start it.
Interesting thought about the insurance. Up to this point my pile of parts has just been covered by my homeowners policy. I guess it is time to get insurance on this vehicle.