Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12

Thread: LearningCurve's 818C Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    How’s the air oil separator plumbed and oil level possibly pumping oil to the AOS if too full. Pull off and Look into any vacuum line going into the intake manifold as Bob says, introducing oil into the intake.
    If all those hoses are clean going into the intake, the issue would most likely be something in the head,since compression is in line. Funny thing is all cylinders plugs are showing signs
    Open the oil fill cap while running, be careful. My engine would suck/blow at the oil filler cap as engine running. But no oil came out just puffs of air.
    Rich condition would be black smoke but no oily smoot out of the turbo. I believe the engine would flood out before you saw the juice out the exhaust. It would run rough until it stalls.
    What does the smoke smell like? Sweet will be coolant. If it smells like a old lawn mower or mini bike it’s oil.
    If you. Do a cooling system pressure test does it hold pressure? If not coolants entering combustion chamber. Hope fully some thing here helps you out!

I don't have any aftermarket AOS installed yet. The vents from the heads still run to the turbo inlet hose and that is all dry. All of the vacuum lines running to the intake manifold are dry as well. The one that was most suspect to me was the PVC valve. That runs to the turbo inlet hose and to the intake manifold. Hose to the intake manifold looked clean. I removed the hose from the PVC valve to the manifold and ran the engine for a few minutes just to see if the PVC valve would spit out any oil. I didn't see any. Again the amount of oil on the turbo exit is very excessive.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F2rt6GmeuLsePspGA

I also opened up the oil filler cap while running the engine. I don't see any smoke coming out and it has a suck/blow action.

The smoke does not smell like coolant so I think it is now safe to say that it is oil so I don't think doing a cooling system pressure check is needed.

One last thing to note, I am using the crank case vent as it is designed for the 2.5 short block. I had the 2.0L valve covers modified to allow the crank case to vent to the valve covers.
    Last edited by LearningCurve; 09-15-2018 at 02:40 PM.
    818C - #458 | Delivered-11/16/16 | First Start/Go Kart-8/24/18 |
    Daily: 2004 WRX
    Weekend: 2012 S4