Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone make the back wall removable?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone make the back wall removable?

I am getting ready to install the back wall of the cockpit. I am wondering if there is any reasonable reason to use nutserts and screws to make the back wall removable? My thought is that if I ever need access back there, screws are a lot easier to remove than rivets. Or perhaps I am just overthinking it again?!!! Noooooo, I never over think or over build anything!!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Over thinking it. Very unlikely you would be able to get it out in one piece anyways. There is nothing to service behind it anyways.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Or cut the panel at the horizontal 2x2, move it back 8 inches or so, make two side pieces, and you have instant storage. Leave the 3/4x3/4. It looks like it will be in the way but actually jackets, hats, gloves can easily be shoved over or under it.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, but the top of my transmission tunnel is removable and I also have an access panel that allows me to get to the slave cylinder.

I used the same size Allen Head (#10 Screw) for every other access panel, including the dash and switch panel so a 1/8" Allen Wrench lets me remove all kinds of stuff.

Form Is Definitely Following Function On This Build!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 01-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    No reason to. Everything is easily accessible from below.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did make an access panel in mine for the upper link attachment point.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a small panel in mine to access things

Post Thanks / Like
    17 years of driving my FFR Roadster and have never needed access from that panel. I can get to the back of that panel from the trunk. Only thing up there except luggage is the shoulder harness points. Also, I would recommend a removable transmission tunnel cover.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a metal mesh insert in mine, so that I could put a speaker box in the trunk, and have the sound come out into the cockpit. The carpet covers the mesh so you can't even tell it's there, but the sound comes out okay (it's hardly an audiophile setup :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish you guys would be a little more considerate. How will I ever finish this thing, if yall keep coming up with good ideas to modify it? I did buy the cubby hole kit, but now you guys mention speakers, mesh inserts, etc.
    Loving every minute of it.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.