Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  403

Thread: John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    ...are you doing anything special with your alternator brackets?
    The cast aluminum piece will double as a mounting point for a dry sump scavenge pump if needed. It is also the front lifting point when I take the engine/trans in and out.

Are your engine mounts keeping the engine at the stock height?
    Right side engine mount form underneath.

I think I raised the motor about an inch compared to where FFR places the EJ motor. I did that so the drain plug would not hang below the plane of the belly pan as I am going to have a flat bottom for better aero. I did not raise the trans mount, that works just fine.

I'm finding that the space between the frame and the engine is pretty tight.
    I have about a 3/8" spacer between the motor mount and engine to accommodate the front pitch mount. I may have to notch the frame like you did.
    Its definitely tight. I have between 3/8" and 1/2" space between the right side cam phasers and the frame where I notched it out. Luckly the STI mounts are quite stiff and with the natural balance of a flat motor there should not be much side to side movement.

Here is pic from underneath the right cam phaser looking up.

I also added a snubber in case the motor pitches forward so it won't damage the cam phasers. If the motor moves more than a 1/4" forward, the vertical channel will push up against the thick front pitch mount on the case preventing further movement. Under normal conditions it does not touch.

The way I have it now the headers will have to be at nearly 90' to clear the rear suspension brackets.
    Instead of routing the exhaust over the suspension and out the back, I think I am going to try to exit it just in front of the rear tires on each side. It will make for a really short exhaust run, maybe 20". The exhaust will exit through the side sails.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 03-15-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A