Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  61
Likes Likes:  403

Thread: John's EZ36R H6 818R Build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    I am really sorry, but I recommend you evaluate the airflow first. I have cut out the humps for the vents on my car. The fumes from the engine come right out into the cockpit. I can only guess that air circulates and swirls into the back of your head.

It is sometimes overwhelming, I can't image what it will be like getting direct exhaust fumes into the cockpit area. It may asphyxiate you.
    Remember I am building an 818R so no windscreen and decent airflow over the rear deck, at least compared to the 818s.

I also saw some of the first 918s, as they were driving through Denver for high altitude testing years ago. The ones that were still uncovered at the Marriott all the drivers were staying at had black soot on their deck lids. Maybe it is something they fixed, but I am guessing it will be a problem for sure on the 818.
    I figured that might be an issue. I will most likely paint the humps black to minimize any sooty appearance between washes. I imagine that is why Porsche has those blacked out tray inserts around the exhaust exits as well.

I am not saying it can't be done, but I strongly advise you to be careful. The last thing you would want is to pass out while driving.
    I have thought about this extensively and will definitely keep an keep eye on this during testing. I plan on using wool tufts attached to the body to double check for proper air flow direction. Thank you for pointing this out though, for those building an 818S this would be a bad idea!

Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Remember he's has a R. So no windshield . I'm wondering if your using a muffler of some sort. Not much room except for a glass pack if that I would think . I'm liking the idea, I'll be doing my exhaust soon enough. I love this thread, so many great ideas.
    You are right, no mufflers or cats . There would be room for a muffler in the vertical section at the end, its about 15" long, if I needed one.

And there is a backup plan. Should the vertical exhaust exit prove to exhibit back flow or be too messy, I can turn the pipes rearward just before they angle into the humps and exit them out the rear of the car. This keeps the manifold and collector section intact and (the hardest part to fabricate). I would only have to discard the two small sections of pipe after the flat merge collector and fabricate the relatively straight new sections needed to exit the rear of the car.
    Last edited by Hobby Racer; 08-05-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, you should be good with the R. I look forward to seeing it when it is done.

It was late last night and I got worried for you...