Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roadsters in Dallas/Fort Worth

Post Thanks / Like

Roadsters in Dallas/Fort Worth

Is there a Roadster on the road in Dallas/Fort Worth area I can sit in to get an idea of scale?

Post Thanks / Like
    Post over on clubcobra.com in the Texas section. Lots of DFW folks are there.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I will. They seem to be having some server issues at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in the Garland area. Perhaps we could find a time to meet.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    That'd be great, my office is near Jupiter and 190, so Garland's just down the road. I've PM'd you.
    Last edited by Mick_d; 04-07-2017 at 12:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mick,
    I'm a bit south of 190 and Coit. Be glad to show you mine too.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas, check your pms. I'm up for doing this as soon as I can

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from meeting King and John, seperately, to see if I could fit in either of their cars. Both are great cars- both have the clamshell hood, which I think is a great idea- and both cars are way too small for me. I THINK in both cases it was because of the seats. John had race buckets in his, and I couldn't fit my butt intop them to sit, much less fit my legs under the wheels. Had the same problem with King's car, the FFR seats were too high and too far forward for me to get my legs under the wheel. I did get a ride in King's car in the passenger side, and the footwell had zero room, I could not move my feet whatsover.
    Great cars, too small without mods. Sigh.
    Thanks for showing me your cars, guys. I want to see if I fit in a 65 Coupe or a 33 Hot Rod with a hard top. Still haven't given up on the Roadster, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It was great to meet you and hear about your other projects. You are right, seats make a huge difference. I'm confident you can make it work, there are plenty of other big guys who have.

Keep us posted on your progress.

John
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_d View Post
    Just got back from meeting King and John, seperately, to see if I could fit in either of their cars. Both are great cars- both have the clamshell hood, which I think is a great idea- and both cars are way too small for me. I THINK in both cases it was because of the seats. John had race buckets in his, and I couldn't fit my butt intop them to sit, much less fit my legs under the wheels. Had the same problem with King's car, the FFR seats were too high and too far forward for me to get my legs under the wheel. I did get a ride in King's car in the passenger side, and the footwell had zero room, I could not move my feet whatsover.
    Great cars, too small without mods. Sigh.
    Thanks for showing me your cars, guys. I want to see if I fit in a 65 Coupe or a 33 Hot Rod with a hard top. Still haven't given up on the Roadster, though.
    Not sure of your size but a few comments. I am 6'3" and 215. I have the high back race seats. The high or low back seats definitely have the most room to accommodate a tall driver because its more like you sit down in them instead of on them. Be aware the seats that come from FFR are 16" inner width.(width on the inside of the seat not the total seat width) You can buy the seat in a 17" width and it will fit in a MK4. Also comes in 18" but that may not fit. That may help with your fit into the seat. I also have the breeze quick disconnect steering wheel. That makes it substantially easier too get in and out of. As far as foot room is concerned I am a size 13. The wilwood pedal box has some adjustability and combining that with the right pair of shoes I have no issue manipulating the pedals easily.

There is a huge difference in trying to fit a big guy in a MK4 not built for a big guy vs building the car to accommodate a big guy. Also mods may be intimidating from the outside looking in before you start the build. I had zero experience in this before starting my build. You will learn as you get into it you can do more than you think you can. You will find mods are doable.

On the 65 coupe I have not personally sat in one yet but the newly released Gen 3 coupe is supposed to be substantially roomier. The new frame allows the floor to sit a couple inches lower. The trick there is finding a built Gen 3 as they are so new. Keep that in mind when you try out the coupe for room.

Good luck!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, WarEagle. I'm 6'5", around 285=290 right now. I'm not particularly intimidated by modifications to abuild that hasn't been done- I just want a blueprint I suspect that when I go to the Huntington Beach show at the end of the month and sit in Dave Hodgkin's car, I'll slide right in. The hard part will be getting me out from behind the wheel- not because I[d be stuck, but I wouldn't want to leave!