FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Jumping Into the frey - kit ordered

Post Thanks / Like

Jumping Into the frey - kit ordered

Hi all

I am Ron, a baby boomer from 1960. I have been working as an IT person for 37 years, started with GM in Oshawa Ontario in 1980. The data center was in the middle of the A body plant.

Well it seems I like many others have taken the leap and ordered my kit, order # 122360.
    Here is a bit of an introduction to me as this is my first post after lurking for a few years and finally registering in February when I hoped the back to the 90's sale that Dave tossed out might just be for a complete kit. Yea I know that would have been too good to be true but a guy never knows
    This is something I have been contemplating for about 15 years. It started out that it would be a 33 hot rod but about 7 years ago I changed my mind and decided I wanted the roadster.
    FFR was kind enough to work with my schedule and ship date will be Sept 2. I asked for a little out as I had originally planned on a fall order and I am scheduled for build school in August. Anyone else headed to the roadster class in August?
    I am going to be replacing my 2010 Indy pace car Camaro with the roadster much to the saddened heart of my 16 year old. He was really hoping I would be passing that down to him some day. It is a great car, probably one of my favorites I have ever owned. But there just isn't room for keeping it. We already have 2 jeeps, a 16 yr old F350, a 66 mustang, a subaru outback and a mini cooper and there is only four of us left (2 kids have moved out).

Since February I have been reading build threads, making notes and sorting out the details of my build. I still have lots to figure out and while I have puttered on cars ever since I got my first car a 69 Dodge Dart GT, damn I would like to have that car back. I have never taken on something this advanced mechanically so I am thrilled and nervous at the same time.

On to the details
    • Complete kit
    • powder coated
    • body cut outs
    • kirkey race seats
    • power steering
    • IRS
    • FFR GPS gauge set
    • 17" Halibrand replica wheels
    • stainless steel buber kit
    • stainless exhaust
    • wind wings
    • sunvisors
    • heater/defroster
    • wiper kit
    • front and rear sway bars
    • chrome roll bars both sides
    • IRS center section - (I need to let Courtney know I want the 3.55)
    • Wilwood front and rear brakes - red

Engine will be a 351W based something.
    Tremec tk600 5 speed with .64 final ratio

I live just south of Denver in Colorado. I have been here for 18 years so wipers and defroster is one of those things here where you may not think you need it taking a drive up in the hills in July but I have been snowed on out of the blue while taking a nice drive or ride through the twisties in the middle of the summer.

Tonight I am out in the workshop playing with paint colors. Although there are family members casting votes for Blue, and Silver I am very much leaning to Black with Black Cherry stripes.

Glad to finally introduce myself. Looking forward to starting a build thread. Right now the garage is getting a makeover so I can install a 2 post MX-6 lift and put in some flexible PVC tiles and clear out 18 years of raising 4 kids of junk. Where does it all come from?

Ron
    Last edited by rrrose; 06-16-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice, welcome to the forum
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ron. Gonna be an awesome machine and what an adventure!
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ron and congrats on making the decision. You are in for some fun times.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the roadster, I wish I could have done a lift when I started mine 2 years ago. I spent a lot of time putting the car on and off Jack stands, and laying on concrete...but my shop space is a converted basement and the ceiling isn't high enough for a lift. That alone will make a huge difference in building your kit. Instead of "I have to put it up in the air AGAIN?!. Crap, I'll get it tomorrow, I don't feel like jacking this thing up again right now."

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! I just took the plunge too, so it looks like we'll be starting about the same time. Good luck!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Sounds like a great build.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ron; you're going to have a blast!
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome To The Factory Five Family!
    Remember to do a very detailed inventory when your kit arrives.
    Also consider attaching a copy of the corresponding inventory sheet to each box, which are quite a few.
    It will help you find the parts you need, especially during the early part of your build.
    Congratulations & Welcome Aboard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Only 15 years of planning? Sounds like an impulse buy. Ha, you are not alone. Lots of long term planners and deep thinkers in this group. Welcome.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    More like 15 years of dreaming and being a dad and making sure we can do what we can for supporting kids through scouts, swimming, soccer, music and university plans. Should be mostly all set on that front so now its time for some focus on dad. That and for our 25th my spouse have me a pass to go buy the kit At this point I will invest in the kit before my daughter calls to say she is getting married.
    I am at heart a planner though. My mathematics and computer science education provided me that blessing/curse, depends on who you ask about me

Really looking forward to this journey though.
    Last edited by rrrose; 06-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So here is a question on the planning train of thought.
    I know I want to do fan shroud, trunk drop, turn signal, pipe heat shields (polished stainless), battery relocate, glove box yet I have the heater option, cockpit heat insulation etc.
    Which of these can I get ordered and in inventory now vs I will need to wait to see what I have before I get those options?
    Ron
    Last edited by rrrose; 06-16-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can order those options now, as they are all pretty safe and common choices, but there is no real need. Just more clutter in your shop. I have found that all of our supporting vendors turn items very quickly. There is also plenty to do, so if you have to wait for a couple of days for a fan shroud, you can move on to something else. I planned my build out pretty thoroughly but I have a few items that I bought early and will probably not use. I'll put them up for sale when I get some time. You do have to wait to get your kit before ordering the RT Turn Signal kit. You send him a part from your kit that he modifies and sends back.

Have fun. BTW, the bride and groom driving off in the completed MK IV will make a great photo. Ya, right!
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Ron!

Sounds like you have a very nice build planned out. I took a long time planning my build, and I am happy that I did. Although I have changed up a few things along the way, I found that the time I spent on the forum and seeing others build threads really helped me define what I wanted in my Roadster.

I hope you enjoy your build as much as I have! I have spent a whole lot of quality time in the garage with my boys building my car; nothing quite like it!

Best of luck as you get started, and enjoy the build school!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron,

Welcome and congrats on your order! My kit arrives tomorrow and I am located in Parker, CO, probably not far from you. Have you looked into joining Mile High Cobra Club? They are pretty active with something going on nearly every week it seems.

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave
    Well we are very close, I am in Parker CO as well... just south in the Pinery. If you ever need a hand I would be happy to help. I have it on my list to join mile high cobra club. Now that I am committed, in more ways than one, I need to get that taken care of. I think I saw they were going to be headed out on their annual week long trip real soon.

I am sure you are having a happy Saturday with your delivery. I will have to watch for the Stewart tractor trailer when I run into town here in a bit.

Now back to my garage make over and to see if I can get the old mustang to start up.

Ron