Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Budget Removable Windshield Wipers

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Budget Removable Windshield Wipers

FOR RENT (just pay it forward)
    These are now available for perpetual rent. Texas doesn't require re-inspection after all.
    I don't want money for renting these.. only that who ever has them, pays for shipping to the next person who needs to borrow them.
    Please take care of them, and don't abuse them. I'll keep this thread up to date with who has them... and who wants them next.
    Just post in here and we can share the love. So, please help me keep track of them, and lets get everybody registered!!

So.. I live in a state that requires automatic wipers for inspection. But.. I didn't want to spend the big $$$$ on the F5 wipers, and I was not confident in the quality of those eBay wiper systems. Not to mention... once I do the initial inspection on my car, I never need to get it done ever again. Given also that I live in a place that doesn't really rain a lot, and I usually have plenty of warning, I fully plan to go the RainX route, and leave these off.

Hence.. I decided to spend as little as possible to pass inspection. Enter the SpeedWayMotors $33 wiper motor. I bought 2 of them, and fabricobbled a mounting system that is totally removable.

I used the door-latch brackets that we normally just throw away. Had to drill out the center hole a little bit, and make a small notch on one side.

A 2" length of 1.5"x1/8" angle aluminum, with 1/2" cut off of one side. Drilled some holes for the main arm, and to clear 3 of the motors face-plate screws. The piece of rubber is just a bit of vac hose. That bit will rest just at the bottom edge of the windshield trim. It's there to take the weight of the motor (which isn't really that heavy) and help resist some of the torque (which isn't very high)

All the parts attached to the motor. The main center nut is torqued down pretty snug, and the friction between all the bits is more than enough to resist the torque of the motor.

Last edited by skidd; 03-04-2020 at 07:49 PM.