BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Got a tape measure handy?

Post Thanks / Like

Got a tape measure handy?

I'm hoping someone has their car and a tape measure handy and might take a measurement or two for me.

You'll notice in the picture below, there are no switch holes. That, and the steering shaft hole, are the next items in my continuing dashboard saga. I've been thinking over the past few days about moving the location of the headlight switch from right-side-of-steering-wheel location to the left side of the speedometer. The stock switch holes are more or less above the transmission tunnel. It's a long story, but thanks to the veneer and the size and location of the existing holes, the switch would be offset vertically from the other switches - so I might as well move it.

My question is just how much room there is available left of the speedo. So, if you have the standard dashboard layout and have the dash and body mounted, perhaps you could measure how much room there is on the left of the speedometer that's more or less accessible before the dash curves? This will eliminate the guesswork and the overly conservative approach of mounting the dash and the body before installing the switch. I know - I'm probably making this way more complicated than I need to!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    not much at all to the left. Mine starts craving away just to the left of the speedo. I will email you some pics.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I had room to install a switch to the left of the speedo, which didn't interfere with anything, and was east to reach. In this case, it's for my T/signal.
    In that spot, it is within reach of my fingertips, with hands on the steering wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Curves right away. Have a horn button & turn signal (long stem self centering) there. Did not show up well in the picture.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    that curve is accessible, but will be under the body/door.
    If you are using the supplied headlight switch, not sure you would be able to pull it out if it was mounted on the curve.
    IMG_0114.JPG

ie427 looks. like you are doing something custom on the dash curve
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Al,

I have my fresh air vents mounted on the curve and as Jdav mentions, the curve is fairly covered by both the body and the thickness of the door tops. I actually had to move my air vent pull holes down quite a bit due to door interference when pulled out. At least I caught it early in the mock-up stage, though.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    a little off topic for this thread, but did anybody notice the groupings on Bear's target in the background of his photo (assuming it's real)?

Back to the question at hand. My idea is sounding less and less do-able. Rather than drill now, I'm going to put the dash on the frame (if it ever gets warm enough to work in the garage) and see where things line up from the back side. Failing that, I can fabricate a backup piece that will solve the alignment problem and use the original hole. Stay tuned! This winter thing is driving me nuts.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    a little off topic for this thread, but did anybody notice the groupings on Bear's target in the background of his photo (assuming it's real)?
    Yeah, I noticed!! Assuming no powder burns on the targets that's nice shooting!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    OFF TOPIC

No powder burns or M1 pencil. Those are from my M4 5.56 NATO with a bipod & red dot sight. Similar groupings with my Henry Repeating Rifle with a Nikon scope. Go to a range about twice a month, one gun each time. Our county police range is open to the public a few days a week & has 100 meter lanes available.

Long, long ago & in a galaxy far away earned the US Army Expert Rifleman's badge in basic & requalified as expert for 6 years.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15