Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Another custom body thread...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another custom body thread...

Hey everyone,

New to the forums but an avid Subaru enthusiast for the last 16+ years. Also a big fan of what F5R is doing with these Kits, but not so much the styling of the 818. Truthfully it’s probably one of the only things that has caused me pause in purchasing one...

It so happens that I have an extensive background in OEM automotive design, so I eventually came to the question: why not completely redesign the body myself into something a bit more sexy? Well the main thing is the cost involved in undertaking a project of that magnitude. It’s surprisingly affordable to do, but still not something I could justify as an individual.

That being said, I wondered what the community would have to say. There is certainly the option to produce several bodies for only a small fraction more, so if 10 or more members had the same interest the expense could be spread amongst the group to both develop the design, tooling, and the bodies themselves for under $3k per person. The bigger the group the lower the cost obviously.

Of course the biggest peice of the puzzle would be coming up with a design that was desireable to everyone in said group, which I have no doubt we could achieve. But for starters it’s worth asking the question to all that will listen:

Given the option, would you be more interested in a style that was more “replica” in nature, for example a series 1 Lotus Elise/Exige-esque, or... something that pays homage to the Subaru the vehicle is based on, perhaps derived from the recent STI concept?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Korperwulf; 03-01-2019 at 11:52 AM.