Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  365

Thread: 460.465USMC's MK4 Build #9890 - V.I.N. for the Win and Spring Rumble

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Radiator Leak!

How do you find out if your new radiator leaks? Simple: "Just add coolant", so sayeth Captain Obvious.

Two steps forward: one step back. Ugh! After filling the cooling system on Saturday, I've been spot checking for leaks. Sure enough, I found one. A very slow leak is coming from the area where the lower radiator hose connects to the radiator. There is a small recess just above the black arrow in the picture below which seems to be the source, or very close to the leak source. This connection is clamped with a Gates Powergrip clamp. Upon seeing the leak I added a worm drive clamp over the Gates clamp to confirm whether it was a failed (or poorly installed) Gates clamp. No change. Leak is still there.

What to do? I can cut off the Powergrip clamps on the upper and lower radiator hose connections, and remove the rest of the connections and Moroso tank. Take the radiator to a radiator shop and have it leak tested, and potentially have the pin hole welded. That, of course, is a very viable option. However, given the location of the leak, I'm wondering if a dab of JB Weld might not be a viable solution as well?

Are there any concerns using JB Weld as a long-term solution in this case? I would put a layer of it within the red polygon area in the picture above.
    Last edited by 460.465USMC; 06-20-2022 at 04:35 PM.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.