Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  225
Likes Likes:  365

Thread: 460.465USMC's MK4 Build #9890 - V.I.N. for the Win and Spring Rumble

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Legal!

As of yesterday my Roadster is legal. Wahoo!

The amount of red tape in WA is still pretty minimal, and the process fairly easy (or so I thought!) to title and register a F5 Roadster. The process I followed has three parts: (1) obtain weight at a certified scale, (2) State Patrol (WSP) inspection, and (3) fill out paperwork and pay sales tax at a local licensing agent. Walk out the door with license plates in hand. Parts (1) and (2) went smoothly, and the officers were friendly and helpful. Part (3) is where things went south.

I'll spare you most of the gory (and boring) details, but suffice it to say Part (3) was not smooth sailing. The discussion at the licensing office took an unexpected turn because WSP identified my Roadster as a 2020 model year. That designation triggered questions: "Where is the odometer disclosure from F5?", and "Where is your EPA emissions certification sticker showing your vehicle is compliant with California state emissions requirements?" (You read that correctly, WA state follows California's emission requirements). Huh? None of the other WA state licensing experiences I've read on the forum mentioned these. Nor did my conversations with other in-state builders. The helpful lady at the licensing office made a couple calls to two different subject matter experts. But after 1+ hours it was clear I couldn't move forward without these items.

Back out to WSP to see if they could shed some light on the 2020 model year determination. They don't take walk-ins, so I drove back out there at risk, hoping they would talk to me anyway since I was there earlier. They were happy to chat again and genuinely wanted to help. Long story short, they looked up several years worth of F5 and kit vehicle inspections and found all of them had been designated with the same model year as indicated on the F5 MCO--manufacturers certificate of origin. This is the piece of paper with the make/model, year, and serial number F5 sends about a month after you receive your kit. So, the issue was not related to the State Patrol designation. It was then suggested I try another licensing office.

At this point I'm 3+ hours into my licensing experience. Trying to look at the bright side, I reminded myself I'm legally driving the Roadster back and forth across town between the licensing office and WSP. Legal, because the licensing office gave me a two day transit permit. And, it was a beautiful, temperate day to do so. This can't be all bad, right?

Guess what, same experience at the next licensing office. Okay. I began to realize something must have changed in the state's licensing procedure for kit vehicles (designated as KITV in WA). At this point, I was 95% sure I'd be going home to lick my wounds and regroup. While still at the second licensing office, as a last ditch effort I called the same expert the licensing offices had just been speaking to. (I got their phone number courtesy of the helpful officers at WSP).

Well, you already know how this ends. The conversation with the expert was productive. I was successful in getting my Roadster licensed. The title should arrive in 4-6 weeks. All said and done it took 6.5 hours, so perseverance and patience prevailed.

I have clocked 350 miles so far. Many of them were driven going back and forth from home to WSP to licensing office, times two. With plates installed, I drove about 100 miles last night. Smiles for miles.

Issues so far:
    • Fault Codes: P0507 ("idle air control system RPM higher than expected") and P0100 ("Generic"; "Mass or volume air flow A circuit"). These triggered one time, somewhere around the 100 mile mark. I'm assuming they're related to the MAF position, as I haven't yet had the Coyote tuned. I reset them and they haven't come back yet, and there was no noticeable change in engine performance when they were active.
    • Lid of Aston Lemans cap fell apart.
    • Need to track down the annoying rattle that I hear on bumpy roads. It seems to be coming from behind the dash.
    • Side pipes are slowly starting to sag. I'd say at least one inch after 300 miles. Bummer! Thought I had solved this one up front.
    • Sounds like one of the PS rear e-brake pads is rubbing slightly. Requires further investigation.

I got this surprise the second time I filled up. Thankfully, the spring, metal cover, and screw were not lost. Nothing some Loctite won't solve.

I'm looking forward to sorting out these issues and more driving. As I mentioned last time, I have a number of items left to complete, but those are lower priority than driving right now. I'm going to double check with Ford Performance, but from what I understand I should get 500+ miles on the motor before the professional tune. Shouldn't be an issue to drive that much by week's end.
    Last edited by 460.465USMC; 07-31-2023 at 10:39 AM.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

2. Likes OB6, Mike.Bray, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    I'm going to double check with Ford Performance, but from what I understand I should get 500+ miles on the motor before the professional tune. Shouldn't be an issue to drive that much by week's end.
    Update: 438 miles clocked in so far. I spoke with Ford Performance on Friday, and they said there is no special requirements for break-in before the dyno session. I expect to have at least 600-700 miles (just for fun) by then, and will get on the dyno with a fresh oil change/filter.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.