Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Question about side windows

Post Thanks / Like

Question about side windows

I'm hoping to order my Coupe - R kit this week. I'm very excited! Working on getting the options all lined up now. One thing I haven't figured out is the side windows. Are they removable? I'd like to have them so I can drive it in less than perfect weather. But at the same time, I would probably not want them in most of the time. I don't think I need anything as fancy as power windows or roll down windows I've seen people talking about. Just having the ability to remove some bolts and take them out would be fine. I've seen some pictures that make it look like that's the case, but I thought it would be good to confirm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Blue,

Yes, they are removable with just 2 bolts.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Henry. They're removeable. Two caveats for full disclosure. First, they're a little fiddly to get lined up just right. So while you can take them on and off, not sure that's something you'd want to do frequently. At least that's my experience and opinion. Second, in case you haven't heard already () the Coupe is loud. While we love cruising in ours, we leave the windows in and the covers over the quarter window scoops to help with the noise level. And still wear ear plugs. Heat and A/C become an important factor at that point too.

See, you thought it was a simple question.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes P100DHG liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Second, in case you haven't heard already () the Coupe is loud. While we love cruising in ours, we leave the windows in and the covers over the quarter window scoops to help with the noise level. And still wear ear plugs. Heat and A/C become an important factor at that point too.

See, you thought it was a simple question.
    Very true, it is never that easy. I was reading your build thread (and if I didn't say it before, it is fantastic and super-helpful so thank you). I saw your work with the Gas-N side pipes. Did those help much?

Also, I might need to start another thread so people pick this up but I'll start here...

Has anyone built a full-on type R Coupe? Right now that's what I'm thinking about building. I'm not too worried about climbing in and out of it. But I am concerned that the big wing on the back might be a bit much driving around town. I love the look but not sure if it comes with practicality issues. I'm pretty sure I can make a quick release setup for the front splitter so I'm less worried about that.

I probably should have made one general questions thread that I could keep adding to as I think of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemont View Post
    Very true, it is never that easy. I was reading your build thread (and if I didn't say it before, it is fantastic and super-helpful so thank you). I saw your work with the Gas-N side pipes. Did those help much?

Also, I might need to start another thread so people pick this up but I'll start here...

Has anyone built a full-on type R Coupe? Right now that's what I'm thinking about building. I'm not too worried about climbing in and out of it. But I am concerned that the big wing on the back might be a bit much driving around town. I love the look but not sure if it comes with practicality issues. I'm pretty sure I can make a quick release setup for the front splitter so I'm less worried about that.

I probably should have made one general questions thread that I could keep adding to as I think of them.
    I can't give a very conclusive response regarding the sound level of the Gas-N pipes. My Gen 3 Coupe came with the first design plain steel pipes. Aside from being very crude and having a poorly designed transition, I knew from others and from some videos that they were very loud. Described several times as "NASCAR loud." I didn't want that so went down the Gas-N path since I'd used those several times on Roadsters and they are very high quality. I'm quite positive they are quieter than the original steel pipes but can't say too much beyond that. They don't sound particularly loud from outside the car. But inside, and especially under acceleration, loud is the word. How much of that is the pipes and how much is inherent to the Coupe? I think both. Boig offers a Coupe pipe that is supposed to be quieter, but I can't say how much since I don't have any experience with it. I didn't consider it because I wanted the Coupe twin pipe look. The Boig is a single large pipe. Factory Five is now selling a significantly upgraded header and pipe combination for the Coupe. Stainless with a flexible joint at the header. Best guess is they're quieter (and certainly much higher quality) than the original plain steel pipes. But I haven't seen them or know anything about them. Aside from different pipes, putting cats in the exhaust would probably tame it down. Erik has turbo's in his. Helps with noise and has other benefits. Maybe somebody will come up with an under car solution. That's what it will take IMO to really tame it down. Meanwhile, with ear plugs we're fine with ours and don't regret anything about it.

Quick word about the R model. My opinion, strictly for what it's worth, is unless you're tracking the car and it's a requirement, just not sure why. The base chassis is crazy stiff and strong. Certainly no issues there. It's already a bit challenging to climb in and out of. Why make it harder? Good luck getting others including significant other(s) to ride with you. Even the standard setup is a no-go for many. Like I said. Just my opinion and what you'd be happiest with in the long run when the novelty of the R features get old.

Good luck whatever you do.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the original pipes on mine (old style) and even with ear plugs my ears were ringing. The NASCAR loud might have been my comment from a visit to a friends house, he could hear me from blocks away. I have the Boig pipes on now and it's not as loud but on the highway you can't talk to a passenger, louder than the Roadster I have.
    We use a noise cancelling head sets to talk when we are on the highway. They cover one ear and we use an ear plug in the other.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Quick word about the R model. My opinion, strictly for what it's worth, is unless you're tracking the car and it's a requirement, just not sure why. The base chassis is crazy stiff and strong. Certainly no issues there. It's already a bit challenging to climb in and out of. Why make it harder? Good luck getting others including significant other(s) to ride with you. Even the standard setup is a no-go for many. Like I said. Just my opinion and what you'd be happiest with in the long run when the novelty of the R features get old.

Good luck whatever you do.
    Yeah, all of what you said goes through my mind. I do plan to take the car to track days, but not full on wheel-to-wheel racing. So the additional roll cage bars are not required (although they might be nice to have if something bad happens). But the regular Coupe does have most of the roll cage it appears. I wonder if it is possible to order the spoilers with the regular model? It looks like you can buy the aero nose separately but I didn't notice if you could buy the rear spoiler separately. That would make it easier to get in and out of and give me the aero stuff for the track (and I think it looks cool).

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bluemont,

I take my FFR side windows off and on a couple of times a year- for track events that are 'windows-down' as well as the seasons- they are about to come off as it looks like Spring is here in a week. 2-4 bolts per side and about 10 mins each side- off or on- easy.

I was just looking at Gen III frame number 2### - something in the 2000s. It appeared to have rear wing fitments welded in place (it is a non R frame) on the rear frame bar - you might check with FFR if this a standard thing.

The one thing that I miss that the R frame has is gussets in the corners of the roof cage section- I wonder if FFR would weld those in for you or look here for doing it yourself:

https://youtu.be/uv3WZnMAKm0

You can see what I THINK are rear wing mounts as well.

Dave
    Gen III Coupe #17
    7500+ miles