• Mpg version

4 2.35%
  • Hardtop and windows are musts

30 17.65%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lets poll this the forum for dave

Post Thanks / Like

Lets poll this the forum for dave

I doubt the mpg version will be the first out since the drivetrain is not as easily found. Also added a hardtop option for the guys that wont consider any option unless there is a top.

Sorry for the weird title that is what i get for watching gameday while writing.
    Last edited by SccrMan13; 10-22-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here's the problem with deciding this now. What exactly is the track version? What does this consist of? Is it still streetable with just a few track goodies or is it an all out race car? Can we add some track components to the street version? I think we need for info on the differences between the two before we can make a decision. I personally want a street car with some track elements in it.

OP I suggest that you add pictures of the models as they become available to your original post.

Post Thanks / Like
    What class would the track version be able to compete in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Well here's the problem with deciding this now. What exactly is the track version? What does this consist of? Is it still streetable with just a few track goodies or is it an all out race car? Can we add some track components to the street version? I think we need for info on the differences between the two before we can make a decision. I personally want a street car with some track elements in it.

OP I suggest that you add pictures of the models as they become available to your original post.
    Must agree with GUNS that there are too many variables to make a simple poll work as something definitive. Still, a useful exercise.

Post Thanks / Like
    The poll asks which one I'm most likely to buy. But the question Dave is asking is, which version to develop first?

I feel the track roadster should be first. You can't beat it for the good press: "Here's a car that's easily faster than a Corvette, for 1/3 the price - and you can build your own today from a kit - or build a street version available next month." Dave said in the webcast, the running gear for the track version is very close to production-ready. All it needs is a body.

Second release should be the targa top street car. The roadster body would already be available for those who want a street roadster, so they can get started on their build right away. Nearly everyone else will be waiting for a top. Those preferring a roadster would still buy it if it has a top, but not vice-versa. I'm assuming the interiors will be very similar for the two, and both street versions ought to be available at about the same time. Once these two versions are in production, FFR will be selling kits by the dozen.

Third step, go back to the roadster and give it a soft top option.

Final stage, release the high MPG model. The development of that version will take the longest, anyway. I have the feeling some guys won't wait. They'll be putting alternative power plants in the first streetable kit they can get their hands on.

Which roadster body style? I noticed only one of the models has a hood vent. For a fair comparison, it should have been added to the concepts without one. Even after seeing the scale models, I still prefer Xabier's design over the other roadsters. Jim's takes a close second, but none of them are god-awful. People will fall in love with whatever design they choose.

Personally, I will be waiting for Olmos' design. It's not just the targa; its "look" is much more unique - sportier - as in, it belongs on the same track with a Lotus. I really like the short nose and I love the exaggerated wheel flares. It will never be confused with a Lambo, Ferrari, Hyundai, or a Toyota. Some people might think it's a Lotus, and that's just fine with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blue blue blue, all the way. Pleeeese make the Olmos design!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The 4 designs

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We need some shots from "street level"; how they will be seen in real life at 1:1. The photos above are the equivelent to looking at a car from a second story window.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Being that I am in the PNW, I'll probably have to wait for the targa top, lol

I don't really care for the Tron, er, Rodney's car. It's too much, and the best parts of it (the flared body at the wheels) wont make it to the real version.

The back 3/4 of the Xabier car is awesome, I particularly like the arch over the cockpit and the vent over the engine, but it has way more front openings and inlets than I want/need on an mid engine car. Although if you ducted the hood correctly, you could make the front bumper area into a wing (downforce uber alles!)

Jim's car is the most finished, and that makes it very appealing. I'm not sure that I like the front fenders terminating away from the edge of the body, on a front engine car that is an effective way to vent the engine bay and create a low pressure area, but again, mid engine. But it has NACA ducts, and who doesn't love NACA ducts???

The Nouphone car looks like the front half of an S2K mated with the back half of a Carrera GT, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. However the black paint and scale model make it hard to really perceive the unique characteristics of that car.

So I would rate them

1. Silver
    2. Red
    3. Black (although it could move up if I could get a better feel for it)
    4. Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    I chose Xabier's street model. I like the design, and of the designs I like, is most amenable to having a top developed. The mouth is still too big in my opinion, and I can't help but imagining breaking the lower potion of the nose if you enter a driveway wrong and aren't very careful parking nose-first.

I like Jim's design, too, but, living in Connecticut, I won't consider anything that doesn't have an optional top. Jim's design could probably be modified fairly easily into a targa by adding a bar across the farings like Xabier's.

So, maybe Xabier's as the track car, and Jim's as the street targa or mpg car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney's car (blue) is too over the top and a hardtop will take much longer/cost more to develop. It has design features that need further work for fabrication and it also has a huge, blunt nose

Xabier's car (red) could be developed to meet both street roadster and track needs and it easiest to retrofit with a soft top, it should be done first

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Rodney's car (blue) is too over the top and a hardtop will take much longer/cost more to develop. It has design features that need further work for fabrication and it also has a huge, blunt nose

Xabier's car (red) could be developed to meet both street roadster and track needs and it easiest to retrofit with a soft top, it should be done first
    The blue model is already a hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does Rodney's car have to be a hardtop? Why not targa?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    1)Rodney's car (blue)
    2)Xabier's car (red)
    The blue one reaches out to me and the red one to a lesser extent
    BUT as others have said not all of us live in southern Calif and it rains where I live, and snows..
    Even with the blue design changed to narrow the car somewhat it grabs me. I see some Lotus in it but the reality
    is it looks somewhat like a hotwheels design but one I like.
    Everyone has different tastes and David should build first what will sell best and get back some of
    that "out of pocket" money he's spent on this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    We need some shots from "street level"; how they will be seen in real life at 1:1. The photos above are the equivelent to looking at a car from a second story window. Jeff
    This ^^^

Also after watching the video I have to say that I am more convinced than ever over the stunning-from-any-angle looks of Xabier' car. Rodneys is my second choice and though the 1st place design contest car does look a bit better in the flesh its still the least attractive in the line up from my perspective..

FFR's rendition in full scale is stunning! but in quarter scale on the video looks strange and lacking for some reason???

So my picks in quarter scale (I think we really do need to see some "street view" shots)

1) Xabiers red street car
    2) Rodneys
    3) FFR
    4) The black one

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNS View Post
    Does Rodney's car have to be a hardtop? Why not targa?
    Or a Roadster, if a Targa won't work............ Check the link below:

http://rodneyolmos.com/factoryfive/v2/index.php
    Last edited by Silvertop; 10-22-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am really rooting for Xabier's design, I think it looks great. Blue and Black are tied for second for me. They are great designs but I'm not sure how they could work in real life. I really don't care for the silver one, it looks like an ebay body kit tacked on to an MR2. Something about the back end just looks really wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    Or a Roadster, if a Targa won't work............ Check the link below:

http://rodneyolmos.com/factoryfive/v2/index.php

I don't think I ever saw those shots before. That seals it for me. The Olmos design is the hands down winner by a mile. I'd rather have any variant of that car than any other concept under consideration. The others are good, but this one sets my hair on fire. I'd sell my house, my wife, my kids and my dog to own this car. (Well, maybe not the dog.)

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I voted "blue street"! It's so different than anything on the road. I would seriously consider buying one. Either targa or hardtop works for me. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it seems to me so far a street version is what most people are leaning toward. It seems that none of the designs take into account the bar that will be across the door. I really cant believe there has been so little discussion about how difficult it might be to get in and out of this car given the position of that bar and the steering wheel.
    Last edited by SccrMan13; 10-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The thing about red, black, and silver is that they are all what you would *expect* this car to look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SccrMan13 View Post
    Well it seems to me so far a street version is what most people are leaning toward. It seems that none of the designs take into account the bar that will be across the door. I really cant believe there has been so little discussion about how difficult it might be to get in and out of this car given the position of that bar and the steering wheel.
    There isn't much discussion because FFR has indicated that the chassis design will be altered to allow for door access.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I heard something about that bar being moved or reshaped for the final design. I wouldn't mind it personally. I climb in and out of a racing seat with full thigh bolsters no problem. You can also look to the new McLaren to see how that could be handled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahh i had not heard or read that, and knowing that alleviates a lot of concern for me. Thanks. My excitement level just doubled. I would be ok with seeing the xabier design and let the guys that did the upscale cobra top do one for the 818. Even if it is $2000 it would be worth it for me. I would not buy the silver one as it is now. That model has way to many scoops and vents. I think they should have done all the cars in the same color for comparisons sake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow this was a hard decision. I like all 4 designs for different reasons. I really like the clean lines of Nouphone's design, but I'm not sure about the rear. I love the rear and arch of Xavier's design, but I'm not crazy about the vents on the sides. While i do like Jim's design, there are too many vents, and that breaks up the nice lines too much. Rodney's design is out there, but that's the point of that design, to really stand out. I'll be starting off with the Street version, and a top of some sort will be a must for me. Great job Dave and crew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willboss View Post
    Wow this was a hard decision. I like all 4 designs for different reasons. I really like the clean lines of Nouphone's design, but I'm not sure about the rear. I love the rear and arch of Xavier's design, but I'm not crazy about the vents on the sides. While i do like Jim's design, there are too many vents, and that breaks up the nice lines too much. Rodney's design is out there, but that's the point of that design, to really stand out. I'll be starting off with the Street version, and a top of some sort will be a must for me. Great job Dave and crew.
    took the words from me, just the way I was thinking.
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing Rodney's blue car as a white roaster ( see above ), I am moving to the blue car camp. The red car's "mouth" is too extreme and the nose too long as is the FFR car"s. The blue car's short over hang front and rear is a real plus as is the slim waist which should aid aerodynamics. I would love to see rear shots and low down views as well. Getting even more excited!

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe take one cars front (the black one) and put it with another rear (the red one or blue one) to get the hair on fire look we are looking for?
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them." John Wayne "The Shootist"

Post Thanks / Like
    Rodney's all the way. The front end on xavier's model looks awful reminds me of a fish and is overly aggressive for the rest of the lines of the side and back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Imo. Rodneys front and rear design looks like its missing pieces. I think there is a balance that has to be met. Too radical and too bland will scream kit car. I think they should be shooting for affordable exotic like lotus, koenigsegg, spyker, or the like.

Post Thanks / Like
    i think xabiers will definatley make the best looking full size car, and would work great with a targa design, rodneys massive frontal area probaby isnt the best for aero purposes either, and xabiers middle vent could be for radiator and side vents for brake cooling, and side vents for intercoolers

Post Thanks / Like
    re Rodney's design is already a hard top...

yes it is and will not be a 10K kit, hardtops are too complex, that's the point
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 10-22-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm ready with cash, Rodney's is not an option

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
    The thing about red, black, and silver is that they are all what you would *expect* this car to look like.
    If FF is expecting people to buy the car, they might not want to challenge their expectations on what a car should look like too much. Seriously.

I can appreciate the creativity of Rodney's design, and it's great to push the envelope sometimes, but a lot of people are just not going to want to drive something quite that out there.

Myself included, i gotta say.

I could probably live with any of the other ones, and frankly it might not be a bad idea from a marketing point of view to lean towards something like Jim's with some minor tweaks. There may be a reason why most new cars all look kinda similar and a little bit "bland" -- I think the major automakers do a lot of research on this stuff and it comes down to selling cars. Mazda sold a lot of MR2s; I've never heard that referred to as a bad looking car up until now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im guessing you meant mazda mx5/miata because i dont think the toyota mr2 sold well since the production ended in 2007 and they stopped selling them here in 2005. The last model sold only 24,000 in 6 year through around 1200 dealerships. Thats less than 4 per dealership per year. In comparison mazda sells miatas At over twice that rate.

Prolly too much info there but i agree with you that they are going after a different market a wild design might not benefit them in the long run.

A conservative design will age better.
    Last edited by SccrMan13; 10-22-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The major problem I see with so many cars on the road today is that they have very little curvature to the side of the car presumably to maximize packaging space, side intrusion safety and aerodynamics. To give the side interest, almost everyone today uses little shape tweaks and side ducts (real or not) and other devices that make it look like it has some curvature. For instance the new Dodge Charger.

I like cars with curvature such as the late 60s to early 80s Corvettes. The Olmos design takes the curvature element and adds the really interesting curved surfaces with sharp creases that have really only come into play with complex CAD software so it ends up being a modern twist on a classic device.

Regarding the width concern, I designed a car with a similar degree of flare that fit the design template so it should be doable. Perhaps the degree of flare will need to be reduced somewhat and perhaps the passenger compartment might need to be a couple of inches smaller but that won't break the design.

The Olmos design is the one that makes me want to buy this car. After the heartbreak of the design contest I had pretty much crossed the 818 off my list and seeing the Nuphone model confirms my dislike of its style. However the Olmos design model looks even better than the renderings and I would definitely purchase that design.

The FFR model is an absolute no-go as is the Nuphone. The Xabier design is pretty nice although quite a few notches below the Olmos design to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Im guessing you meant mazda mx5/miata because i dont think the toyota mr2 sold well since the production ended in 2007 and they stopped selling them here in 2005. The last model sold only 24,000 in 6 year through around 1200 dealerships. Thats less than 4 per dealership per year. In comparison mazda sells miatas At over twice that rate.
    Naw, I was talking about the MR2, but I guess i had mazda on my brain at the time...

Of course the miata is sort of a poster boy for bland sports car styling but has been really popular for a really long time, so maybe that does tell us something.

You're right on the sales figures for the last gen MR2 though; I thought they were a little more popular.

http://mr2wiki.com/AllModels/WorldwideProductionNumbers

Even the mk 2 sold less than 20,000 in North America -- seems like you see them around a fair bit still though. Looks like the last really popular MR2 was the MK I -- maybe FF should offer a retro 80s body for the 818!

Actually an 80s MR2 with WRX power sounds kind of fun...

Post Thanks / Like
    Can we add Vman's design on Jim's car as a possibility? I'd like to see how many votes that would get.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling that the race version will end up being the first to market. It makes too much sense not to be, while it will not have the largest number of purchases it will gain the largest amount of press (besides the mpg version which may take a bit of time to complete) and on top of that it will be able to be finished much quicker than the street version because it basically wont have an interior.

This will allow them to gain press, refine the car a bit based off beta testers and initial run of race buyers and get the interior to a quality that they can be really proud of.

I am more than likely going to be waiting till some company starts selling all of the necessary parts online in a relatively cheap bundle (Like you can easily find for the gtm on ebay) so i dont need to purchase an actual donor anyway (no room to keep a donor and the kit)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adesilva View Post
    I have a feeling that the race version will end up being the first to market. It makes too much sense not to be, while it will not have the largest number of purchases it will gain the largest amount of press (besides the mpg version which may take a bit of time to complete) and on top of that it will be able to be finished much quicker than the street version because it basically wont have an interior.

This will allow them to gain press, refine the car a bit based off beta testers and initial run of race buyers and get the interior to a quality that they can be really proud of...........
    Perhaps. Though they really need a market for the car first, which would be enhanced by the existence of a streeter. It is, of course, possible that the track car may wind up being based on the same body as the roadster, which could allow both to brought to market nearly at the same time.

Personally, I think they will bring the "Affordable Roadster" to market first. Just my .02............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast